Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Weird Opti Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Weird Opti Question...

Hey guys,

I bought a replacement opti from a guy on this board and I ran into a problem that I haven't ever see/heard of before. I took the cap off and made my alignment marks. It just so happened that it was at TDC which was also straight up and down on the rotor. I went ahead and took everything off and looked at the alignment pins of each and matched up the replacement's rotor with the old opti's rotor. Well, the problem is that when I do that, the alignment pin grooves are different...way different. They are roughly 100 degrees off from each other. Should I install the new opti using the alignment groove and ignore where the old rotor was on the opti or should I shave the alignment groove down into a pair of teeth to simulate the regular splines and install it like the stock unit?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

D
Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

If the replacement is done correctly, you don't need to make any alignment marks. In theory, there's only one way the parts will go together. Unfortunately, whether you have the spline-shaft drive unvented Opti or the dowel pin driven vented Opti, it is possible to assemble everything incorrectly. Since you are talking about shaving down the alignment groove, I'll assume you have an unvented Opti with the splined driveshaft.

Did you insure the splines were correctly aligned on both the way the shaft inserted into the back of the Opti, and the way the shaft inserted into the cam sprocket?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If the replacement is done correctly, you don't need to make any alignment marks. In theory, there's only one way the parts will go together. Unfortunately, whether you have the spline-shaft drive unvented Opti or the dowel pin driven vented Opti, it is possible to assemble everything incorrectly. Since you are talking about shaving down the alignment groove, I'll assume you have an unvented Opti with the splined driveshaft.

Did you insure the splines were correctly aligned on both the way the shaft inserted into the back of the Opti, and the way the shaft inserted into the cam sprocket?
Sorry, yes it is a sealed opti with the spline drive. For some reason, I can not get the spline drive out of the back of the opti. I was wondering if something was up with it or if when assembled, it was done wrong. I have literally used the robo grip pliers for the first time since I bought them 3 years ago. It won't budge.It spins fine, just won't budge coming out.

I can't be sure how it's alligned in the opti so I'm at a loss right now.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 AM

Umm...got a dead car that I'm suppose to be driving every day. Anyone have any ideas of what's up?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:33 AM

I wish you would have called me man, I'll stop by when i get off work today.