Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Starting Issue / Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Starting Issue / Voltage

Well recently found my draining issue so that problem is solves however I still have this annoying clicking issue on startup. I turn the key on, go to start it and all I get 95% of the time is clicks until it finally turns and starts.

The alt, starter and battery are new as well. Here is a video of the issue and as you can see on my voltage gauge it never really leaves the red and its like this everytime on the gauge.

Sorry for the bouncing in the video. I used the wheel to help hold the camera while starting.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Cable Terminals

Be sure that your battery cable terminals are very clean and free of corrosion. Then tighten properly and see if that helps any...
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 PM

If you have a multimeter, put one lead on the Positive terminal and one lead on the B+ of the Starter, you should have no more than .5v or 500mv reading. Also make sure you have a good ground. You could have corrosion inside one of the wires to your starter. Also do the same test from the battery to the back of the alternator it should be about .2v or 200mv. Put it across both posts on your battery and make sure you have no less than 12.45v. Lemme know what you find.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Well I haven't had alot of time to deal with this issue but I did a few tests on the volts at the battery and then from the batt to the alt.

First picture shows both probes on just the battery. The second pic shows the neg probe on the battery and the positive probe on the back of the alt.

Both shows getting 17 volts and sometimes in the 16's.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM

Voltage should be between 13.5-14.8 is what I've been told. Do a check on AC volts as well please, you might have a voltage regulator bad or the rectifier diode might be out. Also, check the battery after the car sits overnight should be 12.7v
Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Well, I did a check on the battery and this is after a few days now of sitting and it is sitting fine at a reading of about 14 actually.

It may not mean anything but I did put the meter on the battery while starting to see the volts as the car is trying to start and it never drops below 14 volts while it is clicking.

I do know that my volts gauges just never gets to the center mark. Most of the time when the key is turned to the ON position it gets just above the red. After it starts it stays above the red but slowly it moves closer and closer to the red.

Still working on getting some other readings as well.

Could the ignition switch itself be causing this issue? The battery has been replaced at least 4 times (thanks to warranty), same with alt and even the starter. No matter how many parts I reinstall new it still does it.

Thanks!

Last edited by BushyTea; 08-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, after putting up with this issue for even longer I am attempting to finally end this clicking problem.

Did some checking today and wanted to run some info by you guys and see your thoughts. I checked/cleaned the purple wire at the starter and all seemed fine. Still clicks sometimes. So I pulled the TDR (Theft Deterent Relay) and did some voltage checking. When I try to start the car I have 12.40 volts coming into the relay at the yellow wire but only about 9.90 volts coming from the purple wire that runs to the starter. I get these readings when it starts up.

Now when it clicks I get the same amount of volts coming into the relay on the yellow wire but the purple wire only shows to be sending about 6.30 volts to the starter. Both readins are measured at TDR.

Any thoughts on why such a big difference in readings just through the relay?

Thanks!