Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Post up your Racetronix pump reviews....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Post up your Racetronix pump reviews....

After 16 years of good service, my fuel pump looks to be starting to give up. The car runs much stronger with the vacuum compensation removed from the regulator and still drops from 45 to 40psi when going to 6200rpm. It's not terribly out of spec yet, but I figure it's time to look into fuel upgrades as the pump is so old. I'm also hoping this is the reason for my minor power drop(I've lost 2.5mph and 0.3 tenths in the 1/8th). I will test the car, with the vacuum compensation removed from the FPR, next time I'm at the track(couple of weeks).

That brings me to the Racetronix setup...for those with the system....
  • How did it fit?
  • Any gotchas with the install?
  • How about pump reliability? How long have you had the system?

I'm not going to cut a trap door in the body(although the job done in the 1999 sticky was top notch!), but I also don't want to be dropping this tank to troubleshoot new pump issues either. My truck was a breeze to drop the tank, but not so much so on a fbody.

Anyone by chance know the factory pump rating?

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Re: Post up your Racetronix pump reviews....

There are very FEW 255lph intank pump manufacturers. The available pumps are pretty much Walbro or knockoffs.
The Racetronix kits are nice and complete with wiring upgrades, new prefilters, nice teflon straw and are the right Walbro pump to fit as well as possible but there are still some tweaks to make.

It is a little differnt kit for the b-body but in my experience after trying to do it "cheaper" I went with the Racetronix and am quick to recommend it.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM

I've read about some bucket fitment issues and a few other things. Seems like the Walbro may be the only game in town....Except for maybe Aeromotive's new 340 in-tank unit.

I went ahead and ordered a Racetronix unit from their webstore. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

good luck - got fuel pump issues too...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Racetronix posted elsewhere that they are still working out the wiring for the 340lph pump.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by gangforward
good luck - got fuel pump issues too...
Stock or aftermarket unit?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 AM

Mine went in fine, cutting the trap door was the biggest pain of the job (maybe as bad as dropping the tank but it will be easier if I ever need another pump.) I had problems getting a good stock regulator, finally went with an adjustable so i coud set it at 43 psi. Do the wire upgrade as well, gave me about an extra volt at the pump. Also I did some searching when i did the pump: per my old notes the ac delco model might be EP376 and be about 150 lph at 43 psi?
Also couple things on the install: you need to trim down some internal ribs in the bucket; chisel blade on an exacto worked best. The kit comes with some glue to reattach the top of the bucket; needs to cure for a day so this is a weekend long job.

Last edited by pgerst; 05-25-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Stock or aftermarket unit?
Stock Replacement - less than 3000 miles ago, but over two years ago by a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale.

WHen the key is off the FP immediately goes to zero - from what I've been told the issue is back inside the tank and the pump, or hoses to/from it. Trying to get some suspension and wheel updates done before I dig into it.

It's hard to start - only way it starts is to turn the key on and off 3-5 times and let the pump cycle. Really not happy with the dealer that put it in, they also tapped something with the front of the car and put a crack in the front bumper.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM

My Racetronix went in when I went from the 346 to the 402 on the 98.

Everything was apart so no problem. I did the wiring upgrade as well.

No issues in the past 6-8 years or so since I installed it.

Perry
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Just installed the Racetronix kit for LT1 and have the Hotwire kit. Only installed the fuel pump but I am having fuel pressure problems out the gate. Only 8psi at prime and I am still working to find the problem. I have correct voltage at the pump. Tech support consists of registering for their forum and reading the diagnostic procedures. I guess if the pump is bad they will say it is my fault due to install and I will have to buy another. They list all pumps to be tested before shipping.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Is everyone getting pumps with a center inlet? or an offset inlet like the original AC pump?

If that is still the case as it was in my install ages ago (see photos below) and anybody wants the lowdown on the fitment problem with Racetronix pumps with a center inlet, it has all been hashed out a hundred times before and Walbro p/n F20000169 340 pump does fit correctly, so find a place that sells that one instead of trying to make the center inlet pump fit an offset hole if that is what is happening still. You can PM me for more info if you want.
Name:  fp2.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  fp3.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Just checked mine, the inlet is in the center of the pump. Seems to be like your bottom picture.

Given the age of my sender, bucket, etc. I think I'm going to buy a new AC Delco or Delphi LT1 pump assembly. I will then use the new stuff to install the racetronix system. This will allow me to give the glue time to dry without having an open tank of fuel setting around.

The other advantage is that I can set the old unit aside. If the new one does give me trouble, I can put the old one back in and at least be able to use the car while sorting out issues(if any).

For sure, it is a more expensive way to go, but I think it would be better to put the new components(bucket, sender, etc.) in it rather than use 16+ year old stuff.

I will try to get some good pictures of the install and do another guide for the site. I'll be a little while before installing, but will update when done.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-01-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Found my problem. It was the Teflon hose they send attached to the pump. It was folded over for shipping and stressed the hose at the pump connection. Tiny hole/slit caused my install woes. When I found the problem and emailed them, they sent me a new hose. All is good now.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 PM

I saw your post on the racetronix site.

I've read of several people with that problem. How close to the pump was it? I've inspected mine and didn't see any issues, but I think I may take it to work and examine it under a microscope for issues. Was it easy to see?

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-01-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM

It was right off the connection on the pump on the outside of the bend.