Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Optima Battery or what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM

Thumbs up Optima Battery or what?

Hey guys, haven't really posted on here too much. I actually haven't even drove my car in about a year either. I'm 20 now and i'm finally gettin my car back together, 97' Z28. I just got the suspension put on, eibach sportline springs on some kyb agx 8 way adj shocks and struts. Now i just got to get just maintenance stuff, like new headlights and battery, some other mess. So what I was wondering was, is it really better to get the Optima battery, or just the normal everyday kind. And what size do I get if that is the way to go, and if i need a new tray for it. Thanks a lot, hope i'll be posting here more often gettin this baby back on the road i missed it! Oh yeah, if it helps with advice on the battery, I don't have much done to the engine, just ram air kit w/ k&n, bbk powerplus tb, 3in mandarel bent staight pipes, and bout to get a granatelli maf. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 AM

I got the optima so that I can run my ewp and fans while I'm waiting in the staging lanes and not have to worry about the battery getting weak. If you aren't using anything extra like a big sound system or anything, you don't need it. It is nice to have the top posts, though, in case you need a jump.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 AM

I have the Optima battery and I do not like it. The Optimas do not like to sit around for long periods of time and my car gets driven maybe a couple times a month for six months of the year so it was a poor choice on my part. I will be going with an AC Delco again once spring time rolls around. It is still a very good battery, but like I said, it doesn't like to sit around.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM

That's because it is a dry cell battery, but they do have one of the best warranties out there.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM

Optima red top here also. Fits in the stock tray. Previously always ran AC Delco batterys, which i felt were very good batterys also. Wen't with an Optima because they didnt have a Delco in stock for me when i bough and the Optima wasn't that far off in price either.

Ken R.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM

Where I work we used about 3000 pounds worth of these batterys last year.
They are good batteries, if they go dead you can for get about them holding a good charge unless you have a batt charger that can charge equalize.
If you kill one you have to charge equalize it, as in charge it with about 50 amps for about 20 minutes (Untill it gets hot) then you put it on a slow charge till it cools then give it about 50 amps for about another 20min then charge like normal.
I have seen the 800 CCA red top put out 1100 CCA after real good charging.
When you buy your new red top or what ever color top don't toss it in your car and use it right away. Take it home and charge it real good.
The auto stores don't move a lot of them so they sit on the shelf for a long time. Also remember the half life on a lead acid battery is about 180 days. So if it has been sitting on the shelf for 6 months it will be well under 3/4 charged.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by seawolf06
That's because it is a dry cell battery, but they do have one of the best warranties out there.
The Optima is not a dry cell battery. Its a conventional lead-acid battery, with the lead plates wound in spirals rather than being flat, some fabric filler to stabilize the acid, and a case that is "sealed".... although it can "gas" if overcharged.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ology/faq.html

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...002.Popup.html

I had the same problem... it did not like being unused for extended periods of time, and died in less than a year. A Delco Professionall replacement has now been in the car for more than 6 years, under the same conditions, with the addition of a Battery Tender, and no problems.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 AM

I don't remember who told me it was a dry cell, but I'm going to punch them next time I see them!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 AM

Another difference between dry cell batteries is that they put out 1.5Volts per cell. LIke alkaline batteries. Lead/acid batteries put out 2.1 volts per cell.

The Optimas are what is called an Absorbent Glass Mat battery and it is wound in a spiral.

Also, a conventional battery charger can NOT be used with AGM batteries.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...0512sc_optima/
Old 02-04-2007, 04:13 PM

Automotive application (starter) lead acid batteries do not do well under deep discharge conditions. The addition of a battery tender will keep the battery topped off and greatly extend its life.

Here's a good read on lead acid batteries: http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/00.Glossary/

Last edited by OBE1 95Z28; 02-04-2007 at 04:18 PM.