Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

MSD Opti Timing screw??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 AM

MSD Opti Timing screw??

My new MSD opti has the adjustable timing screw. Which way advances the timing?? Turning it in or backing it out??
Thanks

93Z CC305-8,Fastchip tune,2400 stall,shift kit, Hammer shifter,MSD opti,MSD digital 6,SVO 24lb injectors,brake conversion,3.73 posi,Alum driveshaft,
Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 AM

Turning it clockwise will retard timing , while ccw will advance timing.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by rcantrellz28
Turning it clockwise will retard timing , while ccw will advance timing.
Thank you
Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Good luck getting it to work though. Mine runs kind of flat since installing mine. I started out at the stock setting and backed it out and it hasnt helped much.

Let us know what happens with yours.

Jeff
Old 05-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Check threads by "The Engineer". He has identified a problem with the internals NOT actually moving when you turn the timing screw on the MSD Opti.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by my96z
Good luck getting it to work though. Mine runs kind of flat since installing mine. I started out at the stock setting and backed it out and it hasnt helped much.

Let us know what happens with yours.

Jeff
Mine makes a small ticking sound when you move the screw, so something is happening. I have not had a chance to test drive it yet. I work alot and this is not my daily driver. I'll report back if anything noteworthy occurs, when I take it for a spin. Idle sounds strong.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 978Racing
Mine makes a small ticking sound when you move the screw, so something is happening. I have not had a chance to test drive it yet. I work alot and this is not my daily driver. I'll report back if anything noteworthy occurs, when I take it for a spin. Idle sounds strong.
I have taken the car out for a few runs. It doesn't feel quite as strong as before. Especially off the line tire spin. With my cheap tires they would really burn, fishtail through first and second. (Great fun) And that was not even floored. Now it doesn't spin as much and is harder to do. It may also be because it is 95 degrees down here in florida and a month ago it was not, but that that may be be only part of it. I did think of an interesting idea though. HAS ANYONE TRIED TO ADD A FEW DEGREES ADVANCE TO THE RE-TUNE??? (93 Z Speed density OBD I) I just changed to bigger injectors and need to send my prom to Fastchip for a re-tune, Can I have them add a few more degrees advance to the re-tune?? I think the car is only a few degrees retarded from where I was with the gm opti. And thats with the MSD timing screw backed all the way out.

Appreciate any and all advice!! Also Injineer, I looked for you thread and couldn't locate it?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Appreciate any and all advice!! Also Injineer, I looked for you thread and couldn't locate it?
Picked up with a search on "MSD Opti Screw", posts by "The Engineer":

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...MSD+Opti+screw
Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=Injuneer;5416674]Picked up with a search on "MSD Opti Screw", posts by "The Engineer":

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...MSD+Opti+screw[/QUOTE

Thanks Injuneer. What a pain that I have to jump thru hoops to make this thing work.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM

I was about to order a msd opti until i read this thread, i am glad i did.
Makes me wonder why msd just doesnt eliminate that screw and be done with it, i wouldnt have an issue with it...if it worked.
I am taking my car apart this weekend as my car wont start, i have spark at the coil but nothing at the plugs. I am thinking my rotor got ripped apart of the cap is fried?
I just hope i dont have to replace the entire distibutor?
If entire opti is bad what would you guys recommend i buy?
I see accell has one or should i just get the stock replacement opti from gm?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by CGrant
Makes me wonder why msd just doesnt eliminate that screw and be done with it, i wouldnt have an issue with it...if it worked.
I am taking my car apart this weekend as my car wont start, i have spark at the coil but nothing at the plugs. I am thinking my rotor got ripped apart of the cap is fried?
Honestly if I had to do this over I would just get an GM opti. My original went 110.000 miles and the car ran like a banshee. I have sent my computer prom to Ed Wright (Fastchip) for a re-tune. I needed the re-tune for bigger injectors anyway, so I asked him to advance the timing a few degrees. Well see what happens. I'll post the results.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Honestly if I had to do this over I would just get an GM opti. My original went 110.000 miles and the car ran like a banshee. I have sent my computer prom to Ed Wright (Fastchip) for a re-tune. I needed the re-tune for bigger injectors anyway, so I asked him to advance the timing a few degrees. Well see what happens. I'll post the results.
I have been driving the car for a week with no issues!! Having Ed Wright (fastchip) add additional timing to compensate for the MSD Opti is the way to go!! The car has its off the line snap again, and really more power everywhere else too. Highly recommend this idea!!

93 Camaro 5.7, cc 305, beehive springs, msd digital 6, msd opti, Tuned by Ed Wright (Fastchip), 24# ford racing injectors, shift kit, 2400 Stall, B & M Hammer shifter, All 4 wheel LS1 Brake upgrade, Grant steering wheel, Aluminum driveshaft, subframe connectors, 3.73 posi,
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by CGrant
Accel has problems, too.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM

Well I made some headway with mine.

I decided to turn the screw a few more turns out, only this time the car was running. I started to turn it and once I got a full revolution it idled faster. Wow, I now know it is doing somthing. It seemed as though the computer turned the idle back down so I turn it once more and it idles up again and once more it settles down.

I take it out on the road and I have alot more snap back and its alot better all around than before. No longer feels sluggish. I am wondering if making the adjustments with the engine running is making a difference. Maybe with the vibrations and everything it helped. I dont know for sure but I am glad my car runs a hell of alot better. Although it must be 7 turns out from the bottom.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by my96z
Well I made some headway with mine.

I decided to turn the screw a few more turns out, only this time the car was running. I started to turn it and once I got a full revolution it idled faster. Wow, I now know it is doing somthing. It seemed as though the computer turned the idle back down so I turn it once more and it idles up again and once more it settles down.

I take it out on the road and I have alot more snap back and its alot better all around than before. No longer feels sluggish. I am wondering if making the adjustments with the engine running is making a difference. Maybe with the vibrations and everything it helped. I dont know for sure but I am glad my car runs a hell of alot better. Although it must be 7 turns out from the bottom.
I'm glad you could get yours dialed in!!

Quick Reply: MSD Opti Timing screw??