Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

High HP Fuel Systems - Q&A (4th Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

what you posted above how would that work if you cap off the back of the rails there wont be and in and out to the system.

so you are saying in 10 to reg....out 8an to a y to the front of the rails and then just cap off the rear and take the return port on the bottom of the regulator and connect that to my stock or factory return line from the tank? i thought i couldnt do it this way that i would have to have fuel come in and go out of fuel rails?

is there a connector for what i am loking for to use my stock return?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM

All of the above configurations are in series. Injuneer suggested the bottom one. In my last post I suggested the top one, except instead of having one -10 line going out of your regulator to one fuel rail, I suggested 1 -10 line coming out of your regulator and then y into 2 -8 lines that go to the front of your rails and plug both -6 fittings at the back. You don't need fuel going into and out of the rails. The regulator, based on pressure will release any excess fuel not used into the return line. Once you have your pressure in the rail the regulator won't let anymore fuel into the rails it will just send it straight to the return. When you do need more fuel it will block the return and send it to the rails for you to use.

On a side note, not to confuse you anymore, but I was always told that parallel is better than in series. There is nothing wrong with running in series, pretty much all factory cars run in series, just my personal preference when running high HP applications.

Last edited by ulakovic22; 08-08-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 PM

heres a pic of how i have my pump set up on my tank, Im using the stock feed line on the sender with a -6 adapter for the return.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

cool do you have a pic or part number for the fitting you used on the return line up front...?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

I didn't recommend the bottom one, and none of those diagrams show the rails in parallel. Parallel means the supply line splits and feeds both rails, and there a return line off both rails (but perhaps Y'd in to the pressure regulator). That is the preferred way to handle large fuel flows. Running in series, as shown in Fig. 2 causes a large pressure difference between the inlet and outlet of the system. The parallel path reduces that pressure difference by a factor of two.

Using a "dead end" supply, as shown for both rails in Fig 1 and one rail in Fig 3 is probably the worst possible approach. You're controlling pressure based on supply, not on what the pressure actually is in the rails. By using the return line to control pressure, you insure that the pressure in the rails never drops below the set pressure.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You have one -6AN line coming off the back of each fuel rail. Attach one -6AN line to the -10AN port on the left side of the regulator, and the other -6AN line to the -10AN port on the right side of the regulator. Attach a -6AN line to the -6AN port on the bottom of the regulator, and run that line back to the fuel tank.
So in this you are assuming a y in the feed line to feed both rails and run them in parallel? Sorry, I didn't catch that, that's why I posted this after you:

I thought on high HP applications running in series wasn't the best idea because of the pressure/volume differential between the first and last injector? Running in parallel effectively cuts that risk in half.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

ummm i was going to go with the setup posted by lethal93ta which Y's off the feed and shoots the return back out to the tank.....
would this be running it in parrellel INJUNEER...

ONCE AGAIN IS THERE A WAY for me to add a fitting which is a male insert to the factory return line to the tank with a 6an male on the other side is there such a thing or will i have to make and ghetto rig my own fitting with a piece of factory fuel rail tubing and 2 males on both sides to use the fittings used in the project snowball article of GMHTP
does anyone have the part numbers to those fittings in that article?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Yes that is a parallel setup.

The fitting you need to connect the factory 5/16 return to a -6 braided line is here:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294841768
Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM

http://www.nonameracing.se/photos/de...ASCONA0707.jpg
is enough to feed 8*160lbs injectors to 65% at least, havent tried to run the pumps harder since im running a wet 100shot N2O.
its feed by a AN8 return is a AN6 from aeromotive regulator.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

hey anthony the fitting you listed are to join to the factory return line which is PLASTIC will those fitting made for metal or plastic 5/16 diameter tube.

if so do they seal without leaking on the plastic line.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

that cool pic lisa the thing is i wanted to totally delete the crossover tube and feed both rails evenly not one side before the other......
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I have a single -6AN line from the fuel filter to the back of the engine, an NOS "Y" fitting to split it into dual -6AN lines, into the back of the rails. I took the return off the crossover line, with a single -6AN line back to a Weldon AFPR under the cowl, then a -6AN line back to the tank. Is easilly supports 800 flywheel HP, running a 300-shot of nitrous and a BSFC of about 0.54 #/HR/HP. As you approach 1,000 flywheel HP, using dual returns off the ends of the rails would be a good idea, and stepping up to an -8AN feed.

Supply and AFPR under cowl.

passenger side supply connection.

Return line off crossover, with bung for pressure transmitter on rail.

Detail of connection to crossover line.

Hard to tell its set up for a 300 dry shot - I like to keep it simple......
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

looking good injuneer thanks for the detailed pics of your set-up as i am understanding a little better but i am trying to eliminate the crossover pipe up front all together...
Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

If you eliminate the crossover pipe at the front, you would simply add a return connection to each rail (front or back, your choice.... most people feed to the back and return from the front), and run them both back to the AFPR, with one going in each side, and a single -6AN return line from the bottom of the AFPR to the tank.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Banned

awesomemly awesome dudes what a thread....

has anyone heard of a FUEL BLOCK that is Cryogenic...i saw them on e-bay DEI makes them for about $100 would there be a gain to adding this to my system as it makes sense to have one.

Quick Reply: High HP Fuel Systems - Q&A (4th Gen)