Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Help z28 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:58 PM

Help z28 no crank no start

I need help. My 1994 Z28 LT1 developed a No Crank No Start issue and after a few days it led me to the Neutral Safety Switch.
I finally got it to start by wiggling around on the Manual Shifter and after a few jiggles it would eventually start fine.
This went on for about 5 days now...today however I went out and no matter how much I wiggled, jimmied or slammed it would not crank.
I need my car to get to work and have no other options so I studied some Neutral Safety Switch bypass instructions. I cut the 2 thick wires to the switch and jumped them. And still Nothing.

Someone please help. Did I miss something on the bypass??
Single father who need to get to work. Any help please.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Re: Help z28 no crank no start

Originally Posted by Zbird417
I need help. My 1994 Z28 LT1 developed a No Crank No Start issue and after a few days it led me to the Neutral Safety Switch.
I finally got it to start by wiggling around on the Manual Shifter and after a few jiggles it would eventually start fine.
This went on for about 5 days now...today however I went out and no matter how much I wiggled, jimmied or slammed it would not crank.
I need my car to get to work and have no other options so I studied some Neutral Safety Switch bypass instructions. I cut the 2 thick wires to the switch and jumped them. And still Nothing.

Someone please help. Did I miss something on the bypass??
Single father who need to get to work. Any help please.
Add On: someone here at my work told me I might need to reset the computer so it recognizes the bypass....that sounds legit to me...but is it???
Old 03-16-2016, 06:22 PM

So I pulled the negative cable and the pcm and battery fuses. Computer reset...but still won't start and now my Security light is staying on. Doesn't shut off at any time that the key is in the on position.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Administrator

The neutral safety switch has nothing to do with the PCM.

Were the two wires you jumpered on the switch yellow and brown? The neutral safety switch provides 12 V to the signal side of the theft deterrent relay (TDR). The ground to the signal side of the TDR comes from the theft deterrent module (TDM) after it successfully reads the key resistor. Since the "SECURITY" light is on could be a problem with reading the key, or the TDM.

Lots of components in the circuit that can fail. Check for 12 V on the yellow wire at the neutral safety switch when you turn the key to "start". Then work your way to the TDR, and check other components. Shoebox has the 95 starter circuit and pass-key wiring diagrams in the electrical section of his tech pages. Your 94 will be similar.

shbox.com