Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel pump replacement guide within! :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 12:42 PM

Fuel pump replacement guide within! :)

Last week, my fuel pump decided to take a crap on me, so I purchased a Racetronix pump a few days ago. Should be here in a day or so, we'll see.

Anyway, I'm in the process of making a fuel pump install guide WITHOUT dropping the fuel tank, here:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

I'll have tons of pics up as soon as they are taken.

Let me know what you think so far!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:52 PM

I have heard of people doing this on the board but never seen any pics. I need to upgrade my pump and will be using this guide shortly. Can't wait to see the remainder of the process put up. Thanks!!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:59 PM

This was in a recent post:

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
Old 10-01-2002, 01:02 PM

I'm hoping to elaborate on that install a little more.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:10 PM

do you have to cut the hard lines anywhere or just pull it out far enought to get the pump out I didnt see much on that subject?? Thanks Sean
Old 10-02-2002, 11:23 PM

I'm curious to see how the install goes. I'm looking at getting that kit right now. Did you order it thru Racetronix?
what pump should I get if I plan on spraying and being at 500rwhp?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 11:46 PM

Those pics look good except that you did almost die which is why I wouldn't use a dremel. I'm guessing as soon as someone blows them self up no one else will try it. How did the other guy cut the hole? It looked like he made much smaller cuts and used tin snips???? your hole & cuts look much better

I've got to put a new pump in. I might make the hole after I take out the tank or if I could use tin snips instead I would do it.

Did the pump come out of the tank pretty easy? It looks like the lines are still long enough to get in the way.
I like the idea I just helped someone do theirs about a month ago and i'm not looking forward to doing mine.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by TCAL95Z
Those pics look good except that you did almost die which is why I wouldn't use a dremel. I'm guessing as soon as someone blows them self up no one else will try it. How did the other guy cut the hole? It looked like he made much smaller cuts and used tin snips???? your hole & cuts look much better

I've got to put a new pump in. I might make the hole after I take out the tank or if I could use tin snips instead I would do it.

Did the pump come out of the tank pretty easy? It looks like the lines are still long enough to get in the way.
I like the idea I just helped someone do theirs about a month ago and i'm not looking forward to doing mine.
I really didn't almost die...

I nicked the convoluted tubing. There's a good 3/4" of space between the metal and the lines. I nicked the convoluted tubing for the fuel sending unit, but didn't touch anything underneath (wires, lines, etc.). The Dremel cutoff wheel isn't even 1/2" wide on one half, so I was fine. I'm going to measure the area needed to be cut, so other people won't need to cut, remove, cut remove. All they'll need to do (you included) is make four cuts, steering clear of the lines altogether.

As per the other person, he used a Dremel as well. I haven't removed the pump yet, because my Racetronix pump has not arrived (hopefully within a day or so). I'll keep you updated.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:02 AM

I guess I'm a wimp. How dangerous is doing that really? The sparks make me nervous too. I'm not sure I want to do that yet.

Did the pump come out of the tank easy?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-03-2002, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by TCAL95Z
I guess I'm a wimp. How dangerous is doing that really? The sparks make me nervous too. I'm not sure I want to do that yet.

Did the pump come out of the tank easy?

Thanks
Tom
You want to completely empty the tank before you do that.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:20 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the guide Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 10-03-2002, 01:25 AM

Hey joe thanks for the write up.I always thought about doing this and when i do my pump i will surely do it this way!
BTW it's me from PSR with the blue z28.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by zhevy-1
You want to completely empty the tank before you do that.
Actually, unless you can remove all traces of fumes, the danger of explosion is still there. It is the fumes that ignite.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:58 AM

You talking about being nervous try welding some cage bars in the back of the car. You are really close to the filler neck for the tank.

The best caution is to make sure you have no signs of fuel smell anywhere.

I know if I ever had to replace the pump I would just pull the tank down from below. Since I added the dual exhaust I have no muffler to contend with in the rear of the car. Another advantage of the dual exhuast system....
Old 10-03-2002, 09:03 AM

Joe, outstanding job!!! I may be doing that too. My car doesn't like to start good if it's sat for a few days, and I think it may be the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement guide within! :)