Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

fuel pump check valve or fpr

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM

fuel pump check valve or fpr

hi guys, I am havining a fuel pressure issue when starting and I have narrowed it down to the fpr or the check valve in the fuel pump. The fuel pump is a new delphi about 1year old. the fpr has 91k miles.

Basically, when the fuel pump primes it goes to about 38. then pressure drops right back to zero with in 5 seconds.

I don't see any noticeable fuel in the vaccum line of the fpr. Is there any other checking methods for the fpr?

If it is the check valve in the fuel pump what would be the solutions to fix it without installing a new pump?? What tells the pump to shut off after priming could I make a switch to keep it on longer or maybe put a check valve in the lines?

I have good fuel pressure at idle and with the vaccum line off.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 AM

No fuel in the vaccum line is a good thing...

And the computer shuts off the relay to the fuel pump so that if you leave the key on your fuel pump isn't constantly running.

Leave the wiring the way it is- as long as your fuel pressure is right I think I would just deal with the check valve being broken. Just when you start your car, turn the key on once but don't start, let the pump build up some pressure once, then off again and right back to start. Its a poor mans way of getting some more life out of the system without doing all the headache of getting into the gas tank again.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM

I really don't wanna drop the tank again its a . Later down the road could I ever experience any problems from the extra second that it takes to start?

And my other Idea would to be put in a check valve close to the fuel filter in the feed line. Do you think this could work.

If not I guess I will have to learn the perfect timing to start it. Maybe my pump is still under warrenty and they will send me a new one. idk

Thanks,
Josh