Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

It does start good.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Re: It does start good.

Originally Posted by Rod Bender
.......There is also a site called antivenomefi.com where the guy describes using a used Bailey Engineering LTCC conversion system and some coils. Although I do not know how available that would be.
Bailey Engineering is alive and well, as far as I know.

Bailey LTCC setup

I think it’s a great unit. Does require an Opti with a healthy optical cam position sensor. You end up with 8 LS1 coils. My setup using the MoTeC M48 ECU and their IEX 8-channel ignition driver is essentially the same thing - there was no LTCC in 1999/2000. Getting the high voltage function (spark distribution) out of the Opti, just using the cam sensor, seems to eliminate most of the Opti problem. But it does require a good optical module, and that seems to be hard to find. I use an original AC Delco vented Opti that I bought "new-in-box" for $200 in 1999.

I was running without the Opti in 1998, running the Electromotive SDI/OE (super direct ignition/Opti eliminator). Sorta worked. The guy that developed it at Electromotive left and started his own company. He then came up with the Delteq system, using the optical sensor signal, and a Northstar ICM/4 coil waste-spark setup. He promised buyers he was working on an upgrade that eliminated even the optical cam sensor, and they would be first on the list for the upgrade at a discounted price. Then one day he just fell off the face of the earth, never to be heard from again. Delteq website is still the more than 10 years after he disappeared.

Delteq Opti-Direct Ignition Systems
Old 02-24-2018, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. It is a little more than I want to get into at this time. Is it feasible for one to rebuild an opti?
Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Administrator

I've seen the optical modules for sale on eBay, but who knows what third world country they are produced in. GaryDoug, author of Scan9495, was able to help someone who lived near him by opening up the Chinese optical module, identifying a poorly soldered joint on the circuit board that opened up as the module heated up. He repaired the circuit board and it worked fine. The benefit of being an electrical engineer with all the right tools and diagnostic equipment.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:17 PM

Question. I removed the opti. Now, when I set the new one in place, the only alignment necessary is getting the pin at the end of the camshaft in the corresponding recess in the opti? As far as the oil seals on the opti shaft, one was missing and the other cracked. So I assume that would explain some of the oily gunk on the front of the engine. The crankshaft seal was dry.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM

The opti should only go in one way, but thats not be be said that it cant be forced to go in incorrectly. The dowel that sticks out of the cam just needs to go into the correct slot.

Also, if I am reading your post correctly, there is oil leaking from the opti seal. Fix this now as oil on the opti will lead to premature failure.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 AM

What about water pumps. Are aftermarket water pumps as unreliable as Optis?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM

I haven't seen anything about water pumps failing, but when mine goes I will be converting to an electric pump. The cost isn't that much worse than even the aftermarket setups and you'll gain a bit of HP.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Thanks Drew. Interesting. What all is involved?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM

I saw an ad Sac City Corvette has for a AIP opti. It has a Mitsubishi module in it, is good for 8000 rpm (yeah, like I need that) and is used on some race circuit. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Less than 650 HP
650+ HP

You take the pump out, then press out the impeller and drive. A freeze plug is then pressed into the opening to block where the gear drive was, then the electric pump is bolted on to the inspection cover. Wiring seems to the the only thing that catches people, but honestly it's a positive and negative wire.