Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

'96 Z28 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM

'96 Z28 starting issues

An issue with starting my Camaro has recently started. If it sits parked for more than about 6 hours it is difficult to start. It seems as if it isn't getting enough fuel. When I turn the ignition it cranks over just fine, but it takes a few seconds to sound like it is about to start. I then stop cranking it and try again generally with success. I don't think it is necessarily a fuel pump issue because when it does run there isn't any issues with sluggishness in acceleration.

Everything in the fuel system is stock. I think that there is a check valve just after the fuel pump if I am not mistaken, could this be an issue, like the check valve isn't holding?

I am not a "car guy" per se, but I do most of the work myself with the help of my Chilton guide. If anyone has had similar issues or knows a remedy for this I would certainly appreciate your help.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Sounds like the fuel system is losing the pressure after the pump primes it. This can be verified by putting a fuel pressure test gauge on the Schrader valve (hardline, rear of the passenger side fuel rail) and turning the key to on, without starting the engine. Pump will run for about 2 seconds and shut off. Pressure should rise to about 40psi. When pump shuts off, pressure should drop slowly. If it drops fast, you have one of the following problems:

1. Faulty check valve in the fuel pump. Its not a separate part.
2. Faulty fuel pressure regulator.
3. Leaking injector(s)
4. Leaks in the fuel line between the pump and the fuel rails, including the connection from the pump to the pump support assembly.

Next time its been sitting for 6 hours, turn the key to prime the pump about 5 times in a row. If it starts easier, it would also indicate one of these problems.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM

ok check it out man i got the exact same yr as u an i had tha same problems an d if its all stock then what ur problem is ur fuel pump cuz ur check valve holds the pressure in the line so u have to change out ur fuel pump an thats a B cuz if ur gona do it at ur house u have to cut throuh the trunk to get to the fuel pump cuz u do not have the clearence from underneath unless u have a vehicle lift lol an its gona take a while an alot of patience i jus did this my self a few weeks ago and a few hours and cuts i got it done if u need help hit me up an ill send u pix of were to cut an help u out wit what i can