Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

94' LT1 Optispark Choices

Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Re: 94' LT1 Optispark Choices

OK, so I'll order a 3 Claw 3" gear puller to make sure to easily remove the Crank Pulley. I'm ordering a "special" longer Pulley to Hub bolt, to re-install the Crank Pulley? Or will the "stock" factory bolts grab the Hub threads ? I was reading in Shoebox website, that I may have to Lower the Oil Pan, what the heck ? I had the Optispark replaced 13 years ago so maybe not so much rust this time,

Last edited by LuvF-bodies; 09-07-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:09 PM

It would be great to know exactly which size 3 Claw Gear Puller to get online. There seems to be 3 general sizes a 3" and 4" and 6" so which is Optimum for the 94'LT1 Crank pulley removal procedure then ? Please Help, as I hate wasting money
Old 09-09-2016, 06:22 AM

I don't think you understand what you need to do just to replace the opti. You only have to remove the pulley-not the hub. You don't need to remove the crank hub bolt, just the three bolts on the pulley. You don't remove the timing cover or oil pan (and you never use a bolt to put the hub on).

4" is marked on the puller used in the pic on my website.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LuvF-bodies
OK, so I'll order a 3 Claw 3" gear puller to make sure to easily remove the Crank Pulley. I'm ordering a "special" longer Pulley to Hub bolt, to re-install the Crank Pulley? Or will the "stock" factory bolts grab the Hub threads ? I was reading in Shoebox website, that I may have to Lower the Oil Pan, what the heck ? I had the Optispark replaced 13 years ago so maybe not so much rust this time,
The pulley to hub is not an interference fit. Still like new in 1997, the pulley literally fell off my hub when I removed the three bolts. When you get the pulley off the hub, clean the rust of the hub mounting surface and off the pulley mounting surface, and the pulley should slide right on the hub with minimal force.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:14 PM

Copy, I understand, I'm only removing the 3 Crank Pulley to Hub Bolts (think 7/16"-14 hex), then the Pulley should pull right off, a gear Puller should NOT even be needed, then after wire brushing surfaces, a longer bolt should NOT be needed to draw the Pulley onto the Hub when replacing, just match marks, got it !
Old 09-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Administrator

No, you still don't seem to get it. With 13 years of rust, the pulley MAY be stuck to the hub so tight you need the puller, as shown in Shoebox's photo. The pulley does not get "drawn onto the hub". You DO NOT TOUCH the center bolt on the hub, except to add the 5/8" socket over it (see Shoebox's photo) so the center screw point of the puller stays centered when removing the rusted pulley from the hub.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by LuvF-bodies
Copy, I understand, I'm only removing the 3 Crank Pulley to Hub Bolts (think 7/16"-14 hex), then the Pulley should pull right off, a gear Puller should NOT even be needed, then after wire brushing surfaces, a longer bolt should NOT be needed to draw the Pulley onto the Hub when replacing, just match marks, got it !
Puller may be required if rust has mated the two together so that it will not separate. Clean the surfaces enough so that they will go together by hand.

I already mentioned that the match marks are not necessary. The spokes will only fit to the hub one way, because the spoke are not symmetrical.