Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

1995 Z28 parked for months.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 PM

1995 Z28 parked for months.

In the fall of last year,my car had a fuel stumble on the freeway while cruising at 70 mph. As I slowed and pulled to the side, it gurgled and burped, then caught on, so I finished driving home. When I got there, it would not restart no matter what, but it would pop and wheeze. I installed an imported fuel pump assembly, and when everything was all hooked up, it also would not start, but popped and wheezed a bit better. On a whim, I installed a different ignition coil, and it wheezed so well that after a few minutes, it caught on and ran. So I thought my red coil was bad, tossed it in trash. From there, I drove it for two weeks, averaging 60 miles a day. Until one day, getting in the car to go to work, it popped and wheezed again, but would not start. I replaced the pressure regulator and the fuel pump relay, and checked the reading at the schrader valve. The new pump reached 11 psi, then slowly dropped off to zero. The new symptoms after cycling the key two or three times first are: the car starts and runs a good idle for about 4 to 5 seconds, then the idle slows and sputters until engine stops. The pressure gauge reads 11 at clean idle (but weak), and as pressure drops off, engine slows and quits. Could I have a broken or frayed chassis wire? Does the pump not "catch" because of lack of voltage, or might the imported pump actually be at fault (remember- old pump acted similar)? Could the computer be an issue? I have not yet checked the voltage at the wires, mostly because I need another set of hands that aren't available. "If" the voltage checks weak, then would that imply a frayed wire in the chassis? Has anybody out there had and resolved something like this?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Re: 1995 Z28 parked for months.

Check for 12 volts at the fuel pump connector, above the rear axle:

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_wiring.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_connector.jpg

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

11 PSI is obviously way too low. Might have cracked the flex connector in the tank, or it's loose and leaking. Seems to be happening a bit lately. Or, cheap Chinese ripoff fuel pump, bad out of box. Really not worth the risk.