Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

whos running an A1000 pump and how is it holding up working for you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:39 PM

whos running an A1000 pump and how is it holding up working for you?

Hey guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding some of my fuel system.. after loosing one walbro pump and then popping a hose off the other in the tank.. I am gun shy from the twin walbro setup and decided to go with an A1000 aeromotive pump and sump the tank. just was hoping to hear some positive feedback from those of you who are running them. so far I have been told they are a bit noisy.. safe vs. noise.. I'll take safe so that doesn't worry me too much.. but I sure would be glad to have a few of you guys be able to reassure me the pumps are quality pieces that deliver as one would expect! thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 PM

Re: whos running an A1000 pump and how is it holding up working for you?

ttt.. no one is running the A1000 on here?

Chris
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by NC-LT1
ttt.. no one is running the A1000 on here?

Chris
Mine seems to be doing good, has about 3500miles on it. Can't really hear it over the car.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:56 PM

I have mine set up in what sounds like will be the same configuration as you. Mine is mounted in the area just in front of the tank approximately where the drivers side rear seat is located. When the car is running I can't hear it unless I really try.

So far it has been very reliable!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I have one with my sumped tank but haven't been able to run it yet. I'm contemplating a pump controller to extend its life some. Anyone use one of those?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 AM

I have one in my car now for 4 years or so. Maybe 5000 Miles on it, it is starting to sound bad. I am going to change the filter tonight and take a look at everything.

My buddy has one on his Turbo Mustang, making over 800 HP and has no problems with it..
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Definatly get the pump controler!!!!

I'm running the complete A1000 kit on mine. . . it works great, but: When I first got the kit, I did not have (or even know about) the controller. The pump will pump your entire tank (when full) into the fuel rails and back into the tank in less than 7 min.

Well. . . when stuck in trafic for 1 1/2 hrs on a 105 degree day. . . the fuel recycled so much it heated up and boiled in my fuel tank, melted the factory plastic pressure relief tubing, and when I parked it and the gas cooled, the vacume pressure from the cooling/contracting fuel callapsed the tank in on itself, so the top and bottom of the tank where about 2" apart! I called Aeromotive and that is when they told me about the speed controler. . . . Needless to say, I had to replace the fuel tank which was one of the biggest automotive PITA of my life. . . . grrr. . . . Oh, and it also crushed my fuel level sender. . . I bent it back but it still get's stuck so I need to buy a new one and then will have to pull the tank AGAIN to replace it. (Currently, I go from "full" to about "1/2 tank" but never get below it. . . . Awesome gas mileage. . . . until you run out while the needle's still about 1/2 . . .) .

However, yes, the pump works great! Since I put on the controller, when the pump runs on low speed it is EXTRAMLY loud and sounds sick. -After putting two layers of sound deader in my car and getting headaches from it for 2 years, I called Aeromotive and they said it sounds like the pump was dammaged by the boilng fuel as well. They gave me a RMA and I sent it back a few days ago so they can check it out and repair/replace it. When it was running on hi speed it was no louder than the T-rex pump from Vortech, or the factory pump on my Z71. According to Aeromotive it should be even quiter on low speed.

So, like I said, make sure you get the pump speed controler and you'll be happy.

-Justin
Old 06-16-2006, 10:31 AM

Check out the Magnafuel ProTuner series of pumps. They don't require a controller and can definately support a great deal of power.

http://www.magnafuel.com/products/efi/pumps/MP-4301.htm

Marty
Old 06-16-2006, 02:17 PM

Oh, I just wanted to add that I had one factory pump and two inline T-rex booster pumps burn out on me within 20k miles, but after I switched to the A1000 pump I haven't had any issues ther than mentoned above. . . and even with that the pump still works after about 35k miles.

-Justin
Old 06-19-2006, 04:57 PM

What ever you do, get the pump controler!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA
Check out the Magnafuel ProTuner series of pumps. They don't require a controller and can definately support a great deal of power.

http://www.magnafuel.com/products/efi/pumps/MP-4301.htm

Marty
Their marketing is based on the assumption that many people think that full pump voltage is somehow hard on the pump or that it (the high volume inline pump) gets too hot. This is not so.

The post above sharing their experience with high recirculation combined with high underhood temperature is why you want a speed controller.

The Magnafuel pumps would also contribute to the same above situation with high recirculation rates which causes the fuel to act as a fuel rail coolant and pull heat out of the engine compartment and into the tank. Most gasolines will start to boil off around 90-95 degrees. If you take a look at VP's website you can see where 10% of the fuel starts to vaporize off and how it will progress as temperature increases. This vaporization is pressure dependant, a roller vane pump such as the A1000 creates an impressive vacuum on the inlet side and can actually self prime and lift fuel 30 feet in the air! This lowered pressure causes the fuel to boil sooner just as water boils at a lower temperature at high altitude. This boiling creates pump cavitation which causes pump mechanism wear. This is why the pump mechainism will need to be replaced in the above poster's pump.

The difference in the Magnafuel pump is that it is a spur gear pump and isn't nearly as effective at producing a vacuum and pulling fuel so the fuel doesn't boil as soon, but it still will and it when it does it will tend to "vapor lock" and lose prime but likely avoid damage to the pump itself.

Last edited by markinkc69z; 06-19-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM

thanks for all the information guys.. for the time being after talking to Aeromotive, I am not going to be making any road trips or long distance drives anytime soon.. so for now I am going to run the pump without the controller until I can save a little more and pick one up. the car as it sits will be trailered to the track and maybe a quick 15-20 minute drive here and there to the dyno. I will be sure to remove the cap for a bit while the fuel in the tank cools to avoid the above issue.

would a fuel cooling radiator be worth while on the return line to the tank? I am not sure how effective it would be as briefly as the fuel is in it in transit but just curious.. I want the pump to last and will respect the shared information above until I can get the controller.. (next month when my budget allows for it) so until then I will be very consciensious of whats happening in the system..ie short drives only and no hot lapping along with a chance to ventilate after driving.

thanks again everyone!

Chris
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 AM

Thanks Mark, great write up.

It got me thinking the same thing Chris posted. Is there an alternate way of cooling the fuel besides just lowering the pumps flow with a controller. I remember fuel coolers from a while back but haven't seen them used recently or how well/if they are effective.

Thoughts?

Marty