Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Who here has a turbocharged First Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 04:44 PM

Who here has a turbocharged First Gen?

I'm in the middle of my turbo 69 project, The motor is in the machine shop and now I'm looking to build a turbo set-up. I know this isn't gonna be cheap. Have you guys found simpler ways of building turbo kits for these cars. Like Flipping headers upside down or using a blockhugger style on the drivers side and building from there. I'm leaning towards the single turbo set-up but am not set on it. I know there is a guy on here with a sweet orange 68 camaro with a single turbo. I'm really just trying to get tips and tricks on this. Thanks

Paul
Old 02-23-2004, 10:01 PM

Check out this single turbo SBC '68 Camaro.....

http://www.chiseledperformance.net/INDEX2.html

I've talked to the owner of the car (Robert) at our local track Moroso and he is a cool guy.... I'm sure he could give ya some good suggestions/ideas so maybe you should email him or give him a call.....

HTH
Old 02-24-2004, 07:59 AM

The orange one is mine... The last turbo setup I had on it was a .030 ZZ3 with a single T70 on it. I indeed used a blockhugger on the driver's side with a ball flange welded where the flat 3 bolt flange used to be. A stock GN crossover fit with a small section removed from the middle. I fabbed up the passenger side from scratch and modified a 3 inch stainless TTA downpipe to fit.

Last fall I gutted all that SBC stuff and started from scratch with an LS1. This time I used all 321stainless with double slip merge collectors, a PT80 mounted up in front of the radiator support next to the pass. headlight (pro 5.0 style), and a 4.5 inch stainless downpipe all the way back.

I've had 5 93-97 F cars, 2 99s, and I've got to say, the 1st gen takes the cake for the fun factor and ease of fabrication. a 4.5 inch exhaust fit from the passenger headlight all the way back to the axle , making only 3 turns, with room to spare! Try that in a 4th gen!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:32 PM

Whistler, Is there any way i could get you to send me pics of your latest set-up, I don't know if i'll run a 4.5 inch downpipe, maybe just like a 4" or so. Also which header did you use with the Gn crossover(which brand). Also not sure on which turbo yet, do you guys have any suggestions, Keep in mind that i would like to drive it on the street every once in a while.

Brick, thanks for the lead, That camaro is pretty wicked, do you think that running the driver header through the front of the engine would cause any issues on the street? Thanks again

Oh by the way, Whistler, me e-mail is Paul69camaro@yahoo.com.

Thanks again

Paul
Old 02-24-2004, 07:27 PM

I have a twin setup on an LT1 in my 68. I used S10 swap headers flipped upside down and modified a little on the collectors. Since I have twins, I run dual 3" out the back (already had it from the BBC anyhow)

Follow the links in my sig for pics and a video...
Old 02-24-2004, 11:06 PM

I've got a bunch of pics in my camera.. my friend is going to burn them to CD so I can post them.

What brand of header for the drivers side shorty header? I think it was a Hedman shorty if Im not mistaken. I've still got the other one if you want one for cheap.

What turbo depends on what you want to do with the car, and what transmission you are going to run
Old 02-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Thanks Whistler, I'll be looking forward to those pics. Also I decide on going with a set up like yours i might be real interested in that header. If ya find anymore pics please send them my way. Also how much more of a pain in the *** would it be to do twins? Thanks again guys. Paul
Old 02-26-2004, 12:35 PM

Twins aren't that bad.. just have to decide where to put everything. I started out trying to put them next to the engine, on upside down shorty headers, but it was too crowded. Also not much room to work, or hood clearance.