Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Who has 600rwhp on 91 Octane???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 PM

In September with the latest dyno pulls, LJ at www.acceleronics.com helped dyno tuned my car to 611rwhp 608 ftlbs on a dynojet. Notice the nice big area under the hp curve and the nice torque curve as well. This car consistently dyno the same. The first dyno tuning was done in April on a mustang type dyno and pulled 598rwhp. All dyno pulled is done with Unocal 76 91 octane, no ice in the aftercooler, and going through a full exhaust.

This car is tuned for daily driving on 91 octane still using the stock PCM. I have to admit that I am extremely happy with the result. Even AFR could not believe that I am making this kind of power with just their AFR LT1 heads and asked for my dyno tables.

I think it is because Nutek did a extremely good job for my motor, flow checked the heads with larger valves installed, and picked out a custom grind Comp cam to match my setup. The motor was built to handle over 15# and I am only making 11#. All the machining and everything that can be done to reinforced it was done by Nick. Then my little cousin installed everything and LJ did a tremendous job on the tuning. I have to add, because of LJ's impedance box, I am using all stock fuel lines with only a Walbro 340M intank, a Voltblaster and Seimens 72#/hr.

This car will drive in traffic then around town for over two hours in 95F and the temperature guage will increased from 170 to about 180, not even the 1/4 mark.

The motor has been in for almost a year now and tuned for about 5 months. I have only romped on it a handful of time, but haven't taken it to the strip yet. I have just taken it to Thunderhill Raceway for road racing and it was fantastic.

In short this can definitely be done, but you don't see too many people setting up a 600rwhp reliable street car. In all honesty, although this came out better than what I dreamed of, if I can go back, I would definitely not have done it. I could have invested this money in other things. But since I did it, I tried to do everything right and not skim on anything, that will be what I would suggest.

good luck
Old 08-20-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Camaro_SS/R
In September with the latest dyno pulls, LJ at www.acceleronics.com helped dyno tuned my car to 611rwhp 608 ftlbs on a dynojet. Notice the nice big area under the hp curve and the nice torque curve as well. This car consistently dyno the same. The first dyno tuning was done in April on a mustang type dyno and pulled 598rwhp. All dyno pulled is done with Unocal 76 91 octane, no ice in the aftercooler, and going through a full exhaust.

This car is tuned for daily driving on 91 octane still using the stock PCM. I have to admit that I am extremely happy with the result. Even AFR could not believe that I am making this kind of power with just their AFR LT1 heads and asked for my dyno tables.

I think it is because Nutek did a extremely good job for my motor, flow checked the heads with larger valves installed, and picked out a custom grind Comp cam to match my setup. The motor was built to handle over 15# and I am only making 11#. All the machining and everything that can be done to reinforced it was done by Nick. Then my little cousin installed everything and LJ did a tremendous job on the tuning. I have to add, because of LJ's impedance box, I am using all stock fuel lines with only a Walbro 340M intank, a Voltblaster and Seimens 72#/hr.

This car will drive in traffic then around town for over two hours in 95F and the temperature guage will increased from 170 to about 180, not even the 1/4 mark.

The motor has been in for almost a year now and tuned for about 5 months. I have only romped on it a handful of time, but haven't taken it to the strip yet. I have just taken it to Thunderhill Raceway for road racing and it was fantastic.

In short this can definitely be done, but you don't see too many people setting up a 600rwhp reliable street car. In all honesty, although this came out better than what I dreamed of, if I can go back, I would definitely not have done it. I could have invested this money in other things. But since I did it, I tried to do everything right and not skim on anything, that will be what I would suggest.

good luck
Your post is informative, but it doesn't really prove much about 600rwhp and reliability. As you said, you don't get on it much. If you drive your 600hp car conservatively, it should last a long time. But that's not what most of us buy them for!

Rich Krause
Old 08-20-2003, 07:35 PM

Very impressive car Hugh.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:22 PM

how would the reliability be different with a turbo car with 600 rwhp, any at all?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by lt4 fd
how would the reliability be different with a turbo car with 600 rwhp, any at all?
Maybe, to a point. A turbo doesn't take much hp to drive, it mostly runs off the heat energy from the exhaust. So, the 50+hp it may take to drive a centrifugal represents additional stress on the motor.

Rich Krause
Old 08-20-2003, 09:05 PM

Yeah, doesnt the load of turning the blower wear out certain main bearings really fast? I figure thats the only thing that would make it less reliable, since well theres nothing else that would put any more stress on the motor in a supercharged motor that I can think of, I was just curious if there is any reason why either would be less reliable as far as maintenance and or longevity.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Yeah, doesnt the load of turning the blower wear out certain main bearings really fast? I figure thats the only thing that would make it less reliable, since well theres nothing else that would put any more stress on the motor in a supercharged motor that I can think of, I was just curious if there is any reason why either would be less reliable as far as maintenance and or longevity.
This is true. Some SC motors suffer premature front main bearing or crank snout failure due to loading from the belt. Especially if it's run tight. My point was that there is additional stress on the motor related to the hp needed to drive the SC. If it takes 50hp to drive the blower, a 600hp motor must generate 650hp internally to "see" 600hp at the flywheel.

Rich Krause
Old 08-21-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Camaro_SS/R
The first dyno tuning was done in April on a mustang type dyno and pulled 598rwhp. All dyno pulled is done with Unocal 76 91 octane, no ice in the aftercooler, and going through a full exhaust.

I was wondering when you think you will be smogging your car? I'd be interested in finding out how you do, so I can know what to expect in the future.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
Last year my car was making 600+rwhp (with a blower) and I ran it on 93 octane all the time.

I ended up taking the engine out because of poor leakdown on 1 cylinder (17 percent), and found that the moly was chipping off of the top ring (due to detonation).

When I rebuilt the engine, and built the turbo setup, I decided that mixing in race gas was cheap insurance.

I've been running over 700rwhp with half 93 (1.98gal) and half 110 (3.49gal), all summer and I've had no problems with the engine. I have around 2,000 miles on the setup now, including multiple trips to work (30mi each way), 3 trips to the dragstrip 45 miles away, and 1 trip to a dragstrip 120 miles away. Every time I get in the car I've got the boost controller set to 19psi, and I use every bit of it.

So, is it possible to make 600+rwhp on 93 octane? Sure it is. But with the amount of time and money invested into such a setup, good fuel is cheaper than a rebuild.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:07 PM

I read somewhere that a blower adds approx 200lbs more stress to the crank at all times because the boost is always there. Now if you go turbo, when the motor isn't revving in the boost range there won't be that 200lbs of added pressure to the crank/bearings. So your motor should last a hell of alot longer. I dunno, just a thought.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:01 PM

Well guys, I have been on both sides of this fence.. my 70 Camaro with an ATI was a nitemare..period.

This current TTA has been the oppossite. 2 years of flogging on it and zero damage to the motor.

The lesson learned on my part is keeping knock retard in constant check. if it detonates, you will destroy bearings, rings, pistons,valves, U name it. You can take a cast piston motor to 600 RWHP, but cannot take a forged piston motor to 300 with detonation present.

Its not the power that kills, its the PING(aka knock retard) that will make mince meat.

How to get that HP on 91 octane safely, build a 10:1 540 cubic inch big block chevy. With a small motor, your octane requirement increases as the HP does.

Solutions, race gas..alcohol injection..propane injection.

I'm still waiting to see a really fast car on propane.

HTH
Old 10-19-2003, 08:51 PM

I have done 600s with 190AFR heads and 10psi boost... 93 octane.. no ping... all about tunning I guess.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:07 PM

car with 600 should trap 130 MPH.. if you have been racing it at the track trapping 130+ on 91 octane..not on one nite..but on multiple occassions..

My hats off to you
Old 10-19-2003, 09:09 PM

Actually when I was tunning it I did a horrible 13.0@118, had missfire problems and more problems, had just raised the boost and was tunning it, but beat a few 10sec cars that trapped more than 130mph... and them launching first
Old 10-19-2003, 09:18 PM

Remember..till the slip's' are in the hand.. there is no other proof

Not ET but MPH

Quick Reply: Who has 600rwhp on 91 Octane???