Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

What makes COGs UN-Streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:35 PM

What makes COGs UN-Streetable?

Everyone Ive told that hears Im putting a COG Pulley setup on my supercharged Trans am flips out and tells me cogs are unstreetable and that im gonna hate it...but nobody can give me a straight answer as to why...

It seems that everyone with ribbed pullies tries to get the widest belt they can in order to not slip...so if not slipping at all and having the most ""traction" is everyones goal...why wouldnt a cog setup be everyones pinnacle?

The cog tensioner can be run looser to allow for less tension to be put on the bearings and snouts of the crank and blower, so it seems like itd be a safer and more reliable setup...with NO SLIP

Anyone?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 PM

I think the slipping also helps w/ not shearing off the crank snout? I'm running belt because i can't afford cog setup otherwise id have a cog. but i also have a BB snout on my crankshaft not just the BB hub.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjmatt
...with NO SLIP
I think the answer is, that rib belts do slip on deceleration.
I believe that the step up gear set inside our blowers, don't really like the shock when we pull out of the throttle. The tensioner on a rib belt setup absorbs some of that shock. Allowing a little slip when the motor goes from 6500rpm to Idle instantly. A cog won't do that

Checkout this solution click on the engine vid, you'll see the blower freewheel at shutdown. http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...lley/index.htm

It appears to only come in 2 shaft sizes to fit Prochargers and ??, and that is not ATI/Procharger thats making it. That is ATI performance products (tranny stuff ).

As always JMHO ---Bill.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 AM

That seems rather promising. I wonder who will be the test dummy for it though? Hell I'll try just about anything once.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by sc68z28
...I believe that the step up gear set inside our blowers, don't really like the shock when we pull out of the throttle. ...
As always JMHO ---Bill.
>I'm not doubting you or anything, but if this is true, then why are we not rebuilding the head units when we put them in the actual "race cars" not for the streets? They go from WOT to idle instantly continuously.
I'm still confused, but it not that hard of of task to accomplish
Old 07-15-2007, 10:24 AM

The lack of slippage puts a lot of strain on the whole thing when the rpm suddenly changes. Race cars just don't see enough duty cycles for it to be a problem. I suppose that an auto with a loose converter might be ok with cogs on the street. But to get back to basics, why do you need a cog? Even a 4th gen has enough room to run a 12-rib, with a little massaging. You can drive a bigger blower with a 12-rib than you run on the street anyway.

Rich

Last edited by rskrause; 12-11-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bowtiepwr
>I'm not doubting you or anything, but if this is true, then why are we not rebuilding the head units when we put them in the actual "race cars" not for the streets? They go from WOT to idle instantly continuously.
I'm still confused, but it not that hard of of task to accomplish
Understand, I'm not 100% sure on this either

After rereading what that sprag pulley is designed to do.

"The ATI Super Pulley uses Sprag Technology to release each time the blower is spinning faster than engine RPM – thus virtually eliminating belt failures when the car is pedaled at the drag strip. Also look for more boost between shifts, as the blower will not ramp down as fast as the engine during the gear change. Finally, the pulley will also reduce wear on your Supercharger by not allowing the gear drive to mesh in the opposite direction when spinning down."

Maybe first it saves the cogs on the belt, as the impeller is acting like a gear reduction flywheel on decell. It seems that would be hard on the belt, gears, bearings, and cranksnout.

I'd like to completely understand this too ---Bill. OBTW, I use a 12 RIB belt.

Last edited by sc68z28; 07-15-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:42 PM

That ATI pulley looks like a great Idea! Does anyone know how much they cost?............B
Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by BMAN'S SCZ
Does anyone know how much they cost?............B
I kind of remember an ad in National Dragster, I think they were around $480.
---Bill.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM

the prob with ati pulleys is they ar totally different in size with vortech ones...an ati would make hardly any boost on a vortech setup
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 AM

Hmm.... interesting pulley!

-B
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Just wondering if anything ever came of this?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by The SRZ
Just wondering if anything ever came of this?
Yes, I ran the cogs and they are streetable The ysi is however, not so much. The secret Ive found is to have the good belts. The first time I used a cheap rubber timing belt and it was destroyed in about 300 miles. The second, a gates 1040-8MGT30 has been fine and seems like a much stronger belt
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM

To sum it up, they aren't needed on the street, so why bother with the expense and the possible problems? They do not need as much tension as a ribbed belt though, and this may be somewhat protective of the crank snout. I am sure there are people out there using them sucessfully on the street. I suspect it is a matter of luck as much as anything else - like those people who somehow have a stock A4 or 10-bolt last forever on the track.

Rich
Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Look at LJ or 10secz he ran cogs for years and it was a street car with the YS.....

Quick Reply: What makes COGs UN-Streetable?