Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Vortech supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 AM

Vortech supercharger question

Is there anyone out there that has disconnected the blow off valve on there stock 6 lb set up. The driver of this car doesn't speed shift the car and loses boost every time he shifts because he lifts off the throttle during shifting. Will this hurt anything to disconnect this at the track only?

Thanks
Brian
Old 06-18-2004, 06:11 AM

IMO I would not disconnect it. This helps prevent you from damaging the blower. You do not want to encounter blower surge which can lead to premature bearing failure and a crashed impeller.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Banned

Unless I'm misunderstanding something fundamental about the way centrifugal superchargers work, lifting off the gas during a shift shouldn't be an issue because unlike turbos, they are not driven by the exhaust, they are tied to engine speed.

So he may lose some boost because he went to a higher gear, causing the RPM's to drop, but that has nothing to do with getting off the gas during a shift.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by LameRandomName
Unless I'm misunderstanding something fundamental about the way centrifugal superchargers work, lifting off the gas during a shift shouldn't be an issue because unlike turbos, they are not driven by the exhaust, they are tied to engine speed.

So he may lose some boost because he went to a higher gear, causing the RPM's to drop, but that has nothing to do with getting off the gas during a shift.
When I let off the gas my ATI race bypass valve open thus I bleed off boost. So techincally you will lose boost btw shifts. If I was to powershift btw gears my valve would stay closed so I would not lose any boost.

You are correct is stating that boost will drop when your engine drops in rpm.