Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

turbovette fuel system pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 PM

turbovette fuel system pics

I know you are all probably tired of the pictures, but i like posting them and it is easy to send links to my dad and brother to check out so bare with me on them..lol

these are pictures of the completed fuel system.

fabricated fuel rails
-10AN feed split to -8AN lines to rails
twin intank Walbro GSS340S pumps (no pics, but they look pretty in the bracket I fabbed up for them..lol)
Aeromotive A1000 EFI boost reference regulator
there is also a Barry Grant -10AN filter it is HUGE but should flow the fuel and is supposed to be an outstanding piece.

enjoy!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:15 AM

Re: turbovette fuel system pics

so you have -10 split to two -8's feeding each rail, but the stock crossover is still in place...im a little confused, then what are you using for a return? or is one of the -8's a return and you still using the tiny 3/8 crossover?

i have a similar setup, -10 from the tank split into two -8's in the back of each rail, and -6's coming from the front of each rail to my aeromotive FPR, then -6 back to the tank
Old 11-11-2005, 07:57 AM

Will,

the return is from the bottom of the regulator, its the -6AN line coming out the 90, both -8AN are feed lines and the crossover is just used as a balance tube to help keep both rails pressurized equally when the injectors are running.

Chris
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 PM

so does the main feed line go through the regulator? one inlet and one outlet? according to aeromotive the two ports on the sides are inlets from the rails, and the bottom is outlet to the tank...reason im wondering is because if it works like you have it set up then i deffinatly did it the hard way...haha
Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 PM

will62085,

you did it the hard way..lol most will say it is better to feed the rails before the regulator, but I have found both ways to work equally the same as long as their is NO restriction between the rails and the regulator meaning if the fuel going to the rails hits blockage somewhere it will raise pressure before it gets to the rails and open the regulator, I made sure I had it all free flowing, so once the pressure hits the end of the road in the front of the fuel rails, the pressure jacks up at the regulator and it allows the new fuel from the pumps to be returned. most supras are plumbed this way with only one line from one of the inlets going to the fuel rail and the regulator returning the fuel with no recycle to it. this is also how a returnless fuel system works in the later model C5 vettes, the regulator is in the tank and once pressure in the lines to the rsail is reached it simply opens the intank regulator, eliminates the necessity of a return line from the engine compartment and keeps the fuel from being pumped to and from the front of the car.

Chris
Old 11-11-2005, 02:55 PM

your using a dead end system, i understand that, but i didnt think the a1000 regulator was designed for this type of system, i could be wrong, but the instructions say nothing about plumbing it like this. also one thing to consider with a dead end system is overheating the unused fuel in the rails.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 PM

thats the same regulators being used on the supras, so I have confidence in its ability to function correctly setup this way. pressure is pressure, when it hits its open point it should open no problem. as for heating the fuel, that is going to happen even with a return system, it essentially after some time of driving will heat the entire fuel tank worth of fuel from passing it through the rails, it acts as a cooling fluid drawing heat from the rails and returning it to the fuel tank until it has effectively heated the payload. so either way you are gonna heat the fuel.

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 AM

I have the same reg. in my car. I originally plumbed mine the same way yours is, but I did'nt work correctly. There was no pressure rise under vacuum/boost. I learned the hard way and burned a piston. After I plumbed it the other way everything works fine.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:59 PM

did you have the vacuum/boost reference line run to the intake manifold? if not that may be why she was not referencing and adjusting to manifold pressure to overcome boost. if you did you may have had the incorrect type line going to the regulator. it needs to be a hard emission style line so it does not ballon or collapse in order to be accurate, but as long as the regulator is recieving the refernce signal it does not matter where you put the regulator it will adjust itself due to pressure on the internal diaphragm which changes the the effect of the spring setting. are you sure there was not another issue involved in your mishap, perhaps a bad injector or maybe bad low octane gas/detonation?

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 PM

I was running VP 100 octane, timing was 28 total w/ a retard. No detonation. I actually had a braided line to the reg. You seem pretty set on this so go for it, but make sure things are cool before you crank up the boost. Just trying to help.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 PM

I definately appreciate your input, thats what these forums are for!

I will monitor the fuel system carefully, I have a Y-block behind the fuel rail with a gauge port on it, I will moniter with 2 gauges on the dyno to see if there is a pressure variance between the regulator and whats in the rails and I will report my findings. There is a diagram for the layout I am using and you are correct it states that the return bypass system is the recommended method, but it does not state anything negative about the dead end layout. if the pressures are agreeing with one another I will feel comfortable turning the dial up and if not, I will redesign but I really wanted to maintain the clean look of the rear entrance fuel system. but rest assured if something turns up awry I will make the necessary modifications and have another go at it!

Chris
Old 11-17-2005, 12:18 AM

I wish I had some pics of mine, both before and after. It looked great at first, but looks....... um, utilitarian now.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:27 PM

any updates on how this worked?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:35 AM

I bought 1st-and-goals (Marc's) fuel system from his 650rwhp SC 383 LT1. It consists of dual intanks, 8 An feed to BG filter, then up to a Y-block that splits into to 8's to the back of each fuel rail. The cros over is used in the front of the rail so it isnt dead headed, and I believe its on 6 AN line out of the rail (thats why there is a crossover) into the regulator and a 6 an return back to the tank. This is from memory since I have seen it once (its still boxed up in my garage) Should work fine for the poster...I have ben following on turbomustangs.com as well.

Jon