Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbocharger or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:24 PM

Turbocharger or Supercharger?

I'm seriously thinking of 'charging my '02 SS Camaro. The question is; for me, which would be better? Turbo or super? The leading candidates currently are STS turbo vs ProCharger or Vortech supercharger.
I drive recreationally, I do not intend to make the car a "drag strip warrior", I just want more cool factor and zip on the on-ramps and for when some lerp in a Mustang revs at a light.
I have been to a bunch of sites professing to give comparisons but most are trying to sell one or the other. The objective info. I've found boils down to "it depends", but I haven't got a lot of detail on what.
So for my use, what would knowledgeable people here recommend?
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:42 PM

Re: Turbocharger or Supercharger?

I think supercharger would be the way to go, i beleive vortech makes a setup that would be bad@ss on a '02 z. Plus if its still a DD i think SC is more efficent.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:00 AM

If you want something neat for "seat of the pants" and will be buying a new kit (as opposed to new) I'd reccomend STS. You dont need the added cost of headers or a catback to make the power, which is an advantage over a supercharger. Tuning it properly will take a little more effort, but on a 6-8psi setup it isnt bad either way.

Only downside is that puts the turbo out there out back, which some people dont like, and also the sound of the exhaust is something people dislike too. If you like the sound though, its certainly worth it.

There is an ls1 fbody putting out like 700rwhp with a rear mount turbo, a GTO that hauls, and a couple big gm trucks that move too.

If all you want is something fun for the street, that's exactly was STS was built for. Even on the track it wont do toooo bad either.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Check out www.jlturbo.com - under eye candy - theres a video of a new camaro with a sts kit inside view - - No joke I was thinking the same at once supercharger vs sts turbo. After I studied the two - I like the turbo allot better. It's easier to install and like mentioned you dont have to upgrade the manifolds,etc,etc - Mike