Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

turbo and tuning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:33 PM

turbo and tuning...

I started searching and didn't find a whole lot of information around what people are using for EFI and turbos... I need to get something going for controlling fuel and spark and I'm not sure which route I want to go. Too many choices...

If you're running a turbo system, post up:

engine (346/355/383/etc & LS1/LT1/SBC/etc)
turbo size / boost level
and how you control fuel/spark (carb&MSD/stock ecu/FAST/DFI/BS3/etc)

And if you have any comments on pros, cons, and so on, please post up.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 AM

Re: turbo and tuning...

Stock computer with tuning here. What are you trying to accomplish with your setup? That would help a lot.

-Chris
Old 01-27-2006, 12:41 AM

I'll keep it short...

383, big single, probably ~700rwhp (+/-50).
fun street car / not a drag car... some cruising, leaning on it when i feel the itch. reliable enough to long haul the power tour. the rest of the car is all good/built parts.

problem is that I don't even know all the options out there. I just want to make an informed decision. I'd have no problem installing it, but would pay someone to actually tune it.

decent budget, but don't wanna break the bank.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:33 AM

I am planning on stock ecu with my setup...we'll see how it goes. I hav a 2 bar map sensor, so I need to scale the timing tables in half (0-2.5v is vacuum to 0 psi and 2.5v-5v is 0 psi to 14.5 psi). I will be runing a WB O2 sensor for monitoring.

The good thing about aftermarket ignitions is that I believe you can control the A/F with the WB O2 sensor. Stock ecu cant, so te sensor will be there monitoring only.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:59 PM

Jon, I actually did the 2 bar map swap with my supercharger just to try it out and it worked pretty good.

I thought about using it for this, but I only have 57lb injectors sitting on the shelf here. That's not going to be enough... I know I need more injector, so the question is if I want to add an impedence converter or spend a little more and go aftermarket on the ECU.

I really like the idea of the aftermarket ones that use WB O2, but will it add any real value if one w/o WB 02 was tuned properly?

That's kinda why I asked here... I wanted to get the good, the bad, and the ugly on what other people are using for turbo tuning.

Last edited by Roadie; 01-27-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roadie
Jon, I actually did the 2 bar map swap with my supercharger just to try it out and it worked pretty good.

I thought about using it for this, but I only have 57lb injectors sitting on the shelf here. That's not going to be enough... I know I need more injector, so the question is if I want to add an impedence converter or spend a little more and go aftermarket on the ECU.

I really like the idea of the aftermarket ones that use WB O2, but will it add any real value if one w/o WB 02 was tuned properly?

That's kinda why I asked here... I wanted to get the good, the bad, and the ugly on turbo tuning.
Jered,

I will be using using 72# inj. and impedence converter. There is actually a GP going on right now I beilieve a few posts down from this one on impedence converters. The problem with running the stock ecu is the MAF will be maxxed out. When this happens you can tune the car on the dyno with the PE tables and get a dead nuts A/F. Unfortunately, changes in temp will not be compensated for using the stock system I believe. So when the MAF maxes out it defaults to the PE table for the A/F. If you setp your tune during the summer and get a an 11 A/F then ou are fine for the summer (hot weather). However, if you run the same tue during the colder months (Oct./Nov. for example) then you still hav the same amount of fuel for a desner amount of Air. This could cause you to run lean on the same tune as the summer. This means you'll need to make another program with adjusted PE tables for a winter tune. From my understanding this is one of the problems with the MAF being maxxed out and no recognizing more airflow.

An aftermarket ECU will adjust the fuel based onthe WB O2 readings, so weather doesnt matter...
Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Jered,

I will be using using 72# inj. and impedence converter. There is actually a GP going on right now I beilieve a few posts down from this one on impedence converters. The problem with running the stock ecu is the MAF will be maxxed out. When this happens you can tune the car on the dyno with the PE tables and get a dead nuts A/F. Unfortunately, changes in temp will not be compensated for using the stock system I believe. So when the MAF maxes out it defaults to the PE table for the A/F. If you setp your tune during the summer and get a an 11 A/F then ou are fine for the summer (hot weather). However, if you run the same tue during the colder months (Oct./Nov. for example) then you still hav the same amount of fuel for a desner amount of Air. This could cause you to run lean on the same tune as the summer. This means you'll need to make another program with adjusted PE tables for a winter tune. From my understanding this is one of the problems with the MAF being maxxed out and no recognizing more airflow.

An aftermarket ECU will adjust the fuel based onthe WB O2 readings, so weather doesnt matter...
excuse my $hitty keyboard, I hit the letters but it doesnt register sometimes.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:05 PM

BS3 also does closed loop WB O2 tweaking. It's mostly for LS1, but they mention LT1 in their manual (such as for the distributor connections), so that might be an option.

well, I'll keep researching. I still have a lot of work to do before I am forced to make a decision... Once I get the hot parts, I'll mock everything up, send it out for coating, pull the old engine and start on all the wiring and finish the plumbing.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:22 PM

BS3 also does closed loop WB O2 tweaking. It's mostly for LS1, but they mention LT1 in their manual (such as for the distributor connections), so that might be an option.

well, I'll keep researching. I still have a lot of work to do before I am forced to make a decision... Once I get the hot parts, I'll mock everything up, send it out for coating, pull the old engine and start on all the wiring and finish the plumbing.
Email Dean at dynotunesales@aol.com , he is the owner of Dyno Tune Nitrous. I have bought many used LTx performanc parts from him. I believe he has Accel GEN 7 for sale w/ WB from his personal vehicle if my memory serves me correct. It may still be available. Doesnt hurt to ask and see hat his price is.

Jon
Old 01-28-2006, 03:18 PM

I'm suprised at the lack of response here... Are there that few of people running turbos?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:08 PM

Still using the stock computer...
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 PM

I have the stock ecu running with a 2 bar map. I use HPTuners 2 bar speed density setup. THe MAF is eliminated, but that does mean that you would need a hot weather tune and a cold weather tune. Although, I have heard rumors that their are ways to control a/f by using intake temps, which would solve that problem. But I haven't confirmed that yet. That 2 bar setup from HPT is pretty sweet though. You have a PE table for WOT before boost, and a Boost Enrichment table that will take over once you hit boost.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:44 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....

I'm running BS3 with staged injection. It's a very nice system I've also used on many turbocharged LS1's.

Easy to use, and very nice driveability.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:07 PM

If you have some money and dont care to get real technical with tuning then a FAST system is all youll need.

If you do like to get technical and still have some money(though its a fraction of what is needed for FAST) then check out the megasquirt system. http://www.megasquirt.info/v22manual/mtabcon.htm YOU can BUILD your own computer with whatever functions you need. Software is free and some truely brilliant people browse that forum to offer you advice and/or assistance.

Last edited by turbo_Z; 01-28-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 AM

I started searching and didn't find a whole lot of information around what people are using for EFI and turbos... I need to get something going for controlling fuel and spark and I'm not sure which route I want to go. Too many choices...

If you're running a turbo system, post up:

engine (346/355/383/etc & LS1/LT1/SBC/etc)
turbo size / boost level
and how you control fuel/spark (carb&MSD/stock ecu/FAST/DFI/BS3/etc)

And if you have any comments on pros, cons, and so on, please post up.
I have been using Tec3's for years. I have two of them controlling blown 383's. One of them is being changed over from Vortech to Banks twin turbo's right now. It should be up and running in a few weeks.

I have been using the Innovate LC-1 and XD-1 wide band to control the Tec3's. Works very well.

The Tec3 is very user friendly. You can download thier manuals and or software and check it out.

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/

They are expensive, but they can also be moved from engine to engine, as time goes on. Good luck on your search.

Quick Reply: turbo and tuning...