Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo Sizing on a stock LT1...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Turbo Sizing on a stock LT1...

Ok...The new sled needs big torque. For reasons unto my own, I want to make it with a turbo. Or turbos. Whichever.

This is a ghetto-rig, so if any of you guys have suggestions like, turbos that came in OEM setups that would work as twins (A friend suggested twin GN turbos), or cheap singles (The same guy reccomended Holstein [I think] diesel turbos), by all means share. Im trying to do this on a budget. Big time power aint gonna happen, but significantly more than stock is the goal, as well as spool noises under the hood.

I can stand a little spool, but dont want to go significantly outside the stock rev-range. I want to also keep the stock shortblock till I get out of school, so no insane boost levels.

*EDIT* - Also, I think a Furd powerstroke IC will fit nicely somewhere in that cavernous engine bay...See how this thing is getting thought out? One tidbit at a time...

Thoughts?

(Dont worry bout the driveline, I have plans for that, since I know it needs upgradin')

Last edited by MissedShift; 02-22-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:30 PM

Look for a pair of T3 style, they mostly came with internal wastegates set at around 6-7 psi, which is about the limit of the stock short block.

I run a pair of diesel turbos off a GM 6.2/6.5 truck, but most of the diesel turbos are too big for a twin setup; they would work as a single. The main problem is they start at 9-12 psi on the wastegates, so it is hard to lower them.

I got away with 12 psi because the GM Hot Cam bleeds enough cylinder pressure off.. so it probably only saw around 6 at the cylinder.

So far as spool, mine made 513 RWTQ at 3000-3500 rpm. Pretty much makes first gear unusable on the street.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 AM

I too am researching this,,, I have my boost guage (vacume) and air/fuel in, they look really cool,,, did the ngk's gabbed really small... runs better with new plugs instead of 110k mile plugs. My goal is 4-5psi street maybe 7ish track. What is the smallest turbo that will support this (single setup) without choking the motor? One guy was telling me he ran out of boost at 4k rpm with a small single setup....
Old 02-23-2004, 04:49 AM

The turbo tech kit uses a small 60-1 HiFi turbo. While you won't "run out of boost" the turbo is way to small on the 350 and it will get very inefficient the more boost you run with it. Friend of mine was pushing 12 psi out of this kit. Times at the track were not impressive though (neither were mine with this kit)

Bill
Old 02-23-2004, 01:08 PM

I am considering the same thing you are go to www.turbomustangs.com and check out the JY/DIY turbo forum - this will become your new home for a while.

Your referring to the Holset turbo's that came on I think Dodge diesel trucks. As far as I can tell, you probably want to find an HX35 for a basically stock LT1 as a single, but you will need an external wastegate as the internal one's lower limit is way above what you want to run on a stock LT1. Do a LOT of research on this before you start or you will end up with a pile of parts that you can't do anything with.

oh and for the ultimate in DIY, check this out:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/...&threadid=8872

and I quote, "outstanding application of intelligence and sh*t layin around"

Old 02-23-2004, 04:31 PM

Cool

I've got a Greddy T88-34D (73mm impeller) for sale for $600.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...3d647a&size=lg
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...b2561f&size=lg

It came off a 10.20 Supra. I was going to use it for my turbo build but I got a smokin' deal on an HKS Signature Series turbo.

Let me know. I just got it today and I've already had a couple of inquiries.

-Chris
Old 02-23-2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Chrisbequick
I've got a Greddy T88-34D (73mm impeller) for sale for $600.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...3d647a&size=lg
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...b2561f&size=lg

It came off a 10.20 Supra. I was going to use it for my turbo build but I got a smokin' deal on an HKS Signature Series turbo.

Let me know. I just got it today and I've already had a couple of inquiries.

-Chris
So that's comparable to a T72 right?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by 96TurboTA
So that's comparable to a T72 right?
Yes.

-Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by magius231
Your referring to the Holset turbo's that came on I think Dodge diesel trucks. As far as I can tell, you probably want to find an HX35 for a basically stock LT1 as a single, but you will need an external wastegate as the internal one's lower limit is way above what you want to run on a stock LT1. [/url]

and I quote, "outstanding application of intelligence and sh*t layin around"

hey would you recommend the hx35 with the stock internal wastegate for a rear mounted turbo set-up. You say its too much for a frount mounted set-up so Would it be better off used for a rear mounted set-up.