Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo oil return? VC or oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:42 AM

Turbo oil return? VC or oil pan?

Would it be easier to remove the valve cover and drill and tap it rather then the oil pan, or is there a way to tap into the pan without removing it, and without getting shaving in there?

I am just wondering if I am using a pump to return oil to the motor and don't have to worry about gravity returning the oil, couln't I just tap into the valve cover?

Would it cause too much pressure in the valve cover or cause a leak? What if it was put on the side where the vent was or should it be the other?

I have just never removed the oil pan and not sure how to do it with the motor in the car, and I am trying to think of ways to get the oil back into the motor without too many problems.

The system I am designing has bottom of the turbo's sitting at or just below the middle of the pan and I don't feel there will be enough help from gravity to get the oil back to the pan. So I will pump it back and instead of building some type of sump to drain the turbo's into, I had the idea to use a remote oil filter mounting bracket and use the filter as a sort of sump. And, it might help cool the oil before sending it back to the motor.

What do you guys think? Will this work?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:46 AM

you can tap the pan with it in the car. All the blower guys do it, as well as most of us turbo peeps. The only time I would do it with the pan removed was if I had the engine out of the car. Its not that hard to do it safely with it installed. Just take your time

Last edited by Tiago; 01-16-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:28 AM

Tiago,
Thanks I guess that is what I needed to hear, that it was possible to tap into the pan with it still hooked up. Would you happen to know of any good writeups or have usefull info on how to do it carefully enough to not get anything in the pan, did you have to flush the oil through there a few times?

Thanks again,
John
Old 01-16-2004, 10:33 AM

there are a couple of ways to do it.

you can put some grease on your drill bit/Tap. That way the grease catches all the shavings. Go very slow and try to keep it clean. Then run a litthe oil in there and drain your oil.

Or you can magnitize your drill bit. This is waht I do. the bit just holds all teh shavings. Still go slow and clean the bit off often for safety. then again run a little oil through and drain it all out.

You can feel inside the hole and see if anythign fell in, if you had a small magnet, run it inside there and pick up any left overs...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:43 AM

thanks again how do you magnetize your drill bit or do you buy one that is?
Old 01-18-2004, 02:57 PM

rub it in one direction down the side of a magnet.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the help on these little questions Tiago?
That's what these forums are for, even if they are dumb questions.