Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Thinking of going vic jr intake. What all do I need to consider?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Thinking of going vic jr intake. What all do I need to consider?

All said and done, how much should this cost? $1,000? The intake itself is not too terrible, so besides the new TB I guess I am wondering where all the expenses come to play.

Also, what is the difference between going with a Vic Jr vs a super Vic Jr intake?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 AM

Re: Thinking of going vic jr intake. What all do I need to consider?

I too am going to this. I have a world products single plane from Summit. I will do a sheet metal transition for the TB due to low clearance @ the hood. I think use of sheet metal will be a easier fab than alum for this first try. Going to be tight, but, looks like I can fabricate. I have purchased all the steel. Also, the 2 hole pattern between the mid runners must be modified on the manifold to fit the LT1 head. I will also fab a special stud mount due to minimum runner clearance in that area. Some people have re-drilled the head for this, but, I will not do this on the initial app.

The gaskets look to match up well on the ports. I will use a FelPro.
The cable to the TB will be close to the injector rail cylinders 1 and 3. I may fab my own rail in this area due to low clearance.
I have started fab of the intake manifold flange. Then the TB flange. Tie the transition on the engine and test for clearance. I have an SS hood, so, some of this space will be used by the TB transition. I'm thinking of useing 4" 16 ga pipe material to start with. Also, some bracket Engineering is required for the alt support.

Should be a good winter project. I think the added runner lengths will help with increased port velocity on a FI app. Also, better cooling due to the air gap under the runners.
Why am I doing this? I guess, just to do it and the experience of the performance change. I will take some pics.
B.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Why do sheet metal, when you could just do an already made low profile setup like this?

It already matches up with the factory TB, so that is one less part to purchase, and it is low profile already. Well, thats what I was thinking anyways.

I appreciate you posting on your setup, but I am still wondering what is all the cost in doing this? Also, I would really like to know the difference between the Vic Jr setup, and the Super Vic Jr setup.

Anyone?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 AM

You can probably have the intake welded up and ready to bolt on for $1000 if you already have one sitting around but you're looking at a few more bucks for the rails and regulator.

As far as that Ford elbow goes it looks like it really pinches down near the flange. I think you would be better off getting an inexpensive 90mm LSx TB and use an elbow with a better entry angle. I believe the LSx guys use Edelbrock 3848 or 3847.