Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

STS Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:55 PM

Re: STS Turbo Kit

Originally Posted by ponchoV8
I think everyone agrees the PTK kit is the superior one. They claim their LT1 F-body kit will support 850hp, but bang for the buck it's not. The system doesn't even include the turbo. You have to buy it separately, I guess according to how much your motor can handle. But at the base $3499 and then having to spend another $897 for the smallest Turbonetics "street" turbo they had, the STS kit is still a good alternative for those that want a turbo kit on a stock engine and be done with it.
Nope. PTK has a complete kit with a T70 (up to 840 hp) for $3899. Just a touch more than the STS kit with WAY more potential. And if the STS guys really wanna play, you can get the PTK with the PTE-76GTS that will support 1100 hp or so.

http://www.forcedinductions.com/GMkits.htm
Old 08-27-2004, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepoo
Lets face it, I don't care what system you use a stock LS1/LT1 will not
last very long at 850 HP let alone at 550HP. All these guys talking about the PTK kit still don't get the message. The STS kit is hands down the better kit in
a stock application.It doesn't matter what kit you use if you consistently beat on a stock motor with any more than what the manufacturer meant for
it to handle you're gonna be rebuilding motors. Why do you think ford went to forged internals on a 390 HP Motor.
So the the guys with the 'PTK will put out 850 HP on a stock motor' are totally
right and full of s**t.Yea it'll last for one pass down the track.
Anyways I love my STS. Still no lag on a 2500 RPM Launch.

Armin
No one who gives a damn about real horsepower is gonna waste one second with a stock shortblock. Do you wanna make power or are you worried about getting your hands dirty? As I've said before, STS is a neat idea. Anyone serious is gonna go PTK though.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:04 PM

STS is a good entry kit, and were selling before the LT1 PTK was available.
But for all out power, the PTK is the better buy.

Of course, if money is no object, you'll probably fab something up on your own, rather than being limited to what is available off the shelf.

And the staunchest supporters of the PTK seem to be the ones trying to sell it, while there is more than one STS owner saying they are happy.

Do a little research, figure out what your goals are, and spend YOUR money on what YOU want, not what the "internet" tells you to do. Everyone has an opinion, and you all know what that adds up to!
Old 08-28-2004, 01:16 AM
CJ

[QUOTE=Seal][QUOTE=CJ]Oh wow, what a bargain... if your LUCKY you might make half of that 840hp the PTK kit is rated at.
even if ure the LUCKIEST guy on earth, a stock 350 wont take that much of power, just not possible...

plus what was he boosting for a 850rwhp? was it on a stock block?

i can get easy 850 out of a rear turbo too, all i need is my 383 and more boost, and a drivetrain to take the tq from it...

think before u speak
Hahaha, you need to go back to your 350,383,396 thread since you have soooo much forced induction knowledge.

Besides, who gives a **** about a "stock application". Chances are when you go forced induction your going to need a rebuild in the very near future anyways. What are you going to do then?? Pull your pretty little rear turbo off and put in on a book shelf. You guys brag about how easy it is to install/remove the STS kit but that doesnt mean crap when your pulling your motor out to fix some broken ring lands.

Last edited by CJ; 08-28-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Seal
have you noticed you are in EVERY post sts is? hell, even i'm not or anyone else that has the kit...

you dont have the kit and u are talking about it's cons...

why is it falling short?

ure comparing things to a supra now?

what in the hell is wrong with you, this is a fbody board!!!

www.supraforums.com i think thats where you need to go...

i dont understand, u dont even have FI, and ure posting like u know'em for a turbo kit to try hard and fall short it has to be unreliable, and people who has'em has to complain... what i see is more and more ppl puttin'em on their car everyday, thats hardly calling anything 'falling short'

god i hate when we have kids with permits posting here
IF you knew how to read you'd notice I'm not supporting supras. I point out the kit's flaws because they're terribly obvious.. not to mention others have seen the kit in person and say the quality sucks. Why does it fall short??? I thought I'd covered that in my previous posts in this thread and others..... but I guess you have some short term memory issues... Just because the car in my sig isnt forced induction doesnt mean I'm not a turbo owner. And as for me being a kid, well, only an idiot would make that call on someone that they have no prior knowledge of. I'm 22. the people that have them and post about them have something in common.. all they wanted was a cheap bolt on turbo that worked, and I've already made it clear that I think it works fine for those people. Notice many of the people that dont like it are the ones with real turbo kits (you know, the ones that follow all conventional and proven knowledge when it comes to turbos!)

Have a nice day!!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:31 AM

The STS kit is hands down the better kit in
a stock application.
Bull****! In what way is it better? Only way it is better on any motor is install time..... Both kits can make more than enough power to shell a stock motor, and both can make relativly similar peak numbers on a stock motor, but lets talk about a little thing called area under the curve..... That PTK kit will make more boost sooner, even on a stock motor. therefore more area under the curve on that car=faster car.

Still no lag on a 2500 RPM Launch.
So are you really talking about lag here, or are you making some comment about where your boost threshold is?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:42 AM

The PTK kit made 454rwhp/567rwtq on a bone stock automatic LT1 Z28. The turbo was only a T66 p-trim at 8-9psi. That was on pump gas and no meth needed. On a stock motor, I'd say thats pretty good, even with an auto tranny.

Jose
Old 08-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-'97 WS6
Nope. PTK has a complete kit with a T70 (up to 840 hp) for $3899. Just a touch more than the STS kit with WAY more potential. And if the STS guys really wanna play, you can get the PTK with the PTE-76GTS that will support 1100 hp or so.

http://www.forcedinductions.com/GMkits.htm
2 things to point out about the above info: The STS kit is already HPC coated. Add another $349 to get that from PTK. Also, you can bet install cost will be WAY different (unless you plan to do everything yourself). So there is a very noticeable price difference here.

Also, I'm not aware of the performance limitations of the STS kit versus the PTK one. So far, this seems to just be speculation from people who haven't seen both systems in action.

All I know is well-designed turbo systems totally rock! Especially when you compare them to centrifugal supercharger systems, for generating total-area-under-the-curve horse power! Mine is a blast!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
You might save 20 or 30 degrees off your intake temps, but when they're at 300degrees, you need an intercooler as much as 330! End of Story..
I think there's a drastically larger difference in intake air temps between a front mounted turbo and the STS unless you intercool the front-mounted system. Remember, the turbo's set up to run a little cooler since it's out of the engine bay as well as the intake charge travelling further before hitting the engine. I measured my before-methanol temps at 8.4 lbs of boost at 105 MPH and got 65C (149F) -- STS system. I had been blasting around while logging data for several minutes with freescan. I wasn't hot-lapping at the track or anything, so I'm sure that could probably get pushed a little higher. With the sweet STS methanol system, my stock-compression motor can expect to be gobbling even cooler air up than that.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=5.0THIS]That PTK kit will make more boost sooner, even on a stock motor. therefore more area under the curve on that car=faster car.

Where'd you get this info? Just curious. If you're on the dyno, both systems would be well into peak boost before any useful logging is taking place, wouldn't they? I can see a comparison like this between turbos and centrifugal superchargers, though! Now there's a drastic difference.

On my car, I zip to redline so fast in 1st gear that I don't see peak boost indicated till 3500. If I start in other gears, I hit full boost at 2500, but that would be silly to try to race at that low of an RPM with a rolling start. Is the PTK really hitting full boost sooner than that? I could believe maybe a tiny fraction of a second of fill-the-tube-time difference when first launching, but after that???

Even with a dyno, there's lots of other variables besides location and air temp during the test. And of course there's the all-important tune. I think the guy with the better tune (and the better reaction time) would win. It'd be nice to see 2 cars similarly set up, properly tuned, and set to similar boost levels at the track on the same day, though!
Old 08-29-2004, 02:19 AM
CJ

Originally Posted by 95mysticteal
Also, you can bet install cost will be WAY different (unless you plan to do everything yourself). So there is a very noticeable price difference here.
Like I said before, WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT INSTALL COST WHEN YOUR REBUILDING YOUR MOTOR IN A FEW MONTHS.

Also, I'm not aware of the performance limitations of the STS kit versus the PTK one. So far, this seems to just be speculation from people who haven't seen both systems in action.
Haha, if you really believe you can get the same performance out of the STS kit as the PTK kit then you are truly naive. Maybe you should read this board a bit and learn something before you start crapping out of your mouth.

All I know is well-designed turbo systems totally rock! Especially when you compare them to centrifugal supercharger systems, for generating total-area-under-the-curve horse power! Mine is a blast!
Hey, wait a minute...something that actually sounds right. Too bad the STS kit isnt in that category. Especially since ive dynoed more and ran faster than any STS kit with my little old p600 supercharger.

Im not even going to get into your other two posts....its obvious you have a lot a learning to do.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by CJ
Im not even going to get into your other two posts....its obvious you have a lot a learning to do.

If you hadnt said it, I was going to
Old 08-29-2004, 08:28 AM

I think there's a drastically larger difference in intake air temps between a front mounted turbo and the STS unless you intercool the front-mounted system. Remember, the turbo's set up to run a little cooler since it's out of the engine bay as well as the intake charge travelling further before hitting the engine. I measured my before-methanol temps at 8.4 lbs of boost at 105 MPH and got 65C (149F) -- STS system. I had been blasting around while logging data for several minutes with freescan. I wasn't hot-lapping at the track or anything, so I'm sure that could probably get pushed a little higher. With the sweet STS methanol system, my stock-compression motor can expect to be gobbling even cooler air up than that.
Well since the PTK is compressing way more air, you're gonna have more heat (Boyle's gas law). Any serious turbo kit will be intercooled (the PTK is). If your turbo is barely moving any air (STS), than a piece of pipe will work as an "intercooler".
Old 08-29-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
If you hadnt said it, I was going to
Same reason why I haven't said anything..... People have alot to learn when it comes to turbocharging. If you already know quite a bit, then I don't think you will use anything other then a front mounted turbo kit. Whether it be the PTK, QMP, TTI....etc.

As for the pipe acting as an intercooler for the intake side...lol, well the other pipe carrying the exhaust will also have the same properties...hehe. Even being HPC coated, doesn't help much. The turbo mounted in the rear is seeing a very inefficient charge of heated air. And if you say wheres the proof? Well one of our customers tested this using our PTK kit with the same HPC style coating. EGT at the exhaust port was 1400, at the turbo which is mounted at the end of the header, the exhaust temp had already dropped to 1000. Thats alot of energy lost in just that short distance. Add 6 feet of piping to that and you can see why the system spooled a GT67 so slow even with a 346ci motor.

Jose
Old 08-29-2004, 11:13 PM
CJ

I just hate it when you get a few newbies on here talking about the STS kit. They start doing some internet bench racing and the next thing you know theyre turbocharging professionals. All this with no dyno/track #s of theyre own and the main reason to not go with "a front turbo" kit is because its too hard to take off the stock manifolds

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Kit