Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Sts Kit On A Stock Lt1 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:27 PM

Sts Kit On A Stock Lt1 Engine

Okay I been posting threads here and there about superchargers and the sts turbo kit. I read enough information about superchargers that I really did not like and wanted to go with a STS turbo kit. My question is I have a 94 camaro z28 lt1. Engine was recently rebuilt maybee 8k miles ago. How much boost can I run on my stock engine -- to be in the safe area. I just wanted to throw that kit on this summer and next summer have the build up. Only problem is I have the lt4 hot cam in the car as of now. Would that be a problem with the turbo??? Could I run 7psi with meth and still be safe?? Do the sts kit put less strain on the rearend and engine compared to a supercharger??? Also I really dont floor the car at all unless I race. I mostly push the pedal 80% in from actaully being floored mostly all the time. I should be safe dont you think??? - Any help would be great. - Mike
Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Re: Sts Kit On A Stock Lt1 Engine

To be safe, I wouldnt go any higher than 8psi. I usually am a little conservative though.
The turbo will work with the hot cam, but not optimal.
You could run 7psi with meth or a front mount intercooler as long as you have a good tune.
Turbos seem to be a little easier on the tranny and rear end as it is not one of the more violent power adders.
We just pulled my kit off my LS1 and put it on my sons '94 TA and on a 4200 dyno pull he made 351/430 @ 5psi. We are needing a little more fuel.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by trtturbo
To be safe, I wouldnt go any higher than 8psi. I usually am a little conservative though.
The turbo will work with the hot cam, but not optimal.
You could run 7psi with meth or a front mount intercooler as long as you have a good tune.
Turbos seem to be a little easier on the tranny and rear end as it is not one of the more violent power adders.
We just pulled my kit off my LS1 and put it on my sons '94 TA and on a 4200 dyno pull he made 351/430 @ 5psi. We are needing a little more fuel.
If I could run 7psi with meth - that would be great for this summer. I dont plan to use sticky tires or dump the clutch at all. It should be okay for the summer dont you think?? Good tune is basically all what I need right?? How much power should I make with 7psi and the hot cam?? Estimate around maybee 400rwhp ?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:24 AM

I would think you would make 400 @ 7psi.
Yes, with a good tune, meth and 7psi, you sould be fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:51 AM

One more question since I have a 6 speed. Is there anything else outside the kit that's required and do I need a 0-15psi boost controller to run 7psi - Mike
Old 02-17-2005, 03:13 PM

You need a blow off valve with the 6 speed.
If you want to run 5 and 7, you will need the boost controller, or you can get a spring to run 7. The springs are not rated at psi, they are rated by "bar". For instance, my car has a .4 bar spring and that is 5.7psi.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:50 AM

How bent are you on getting the STS kit? Heres what i think about it. There is an immense amount of lag due to the volume of piping that needs to filled from the rear to the front of the car. They do make good power, but too much lag more me. You had asked how much boost you should run. On stock compression, i would not run more than 6 psi. Why dont you get an intercooled procharger like me? You can run around 8 psi no sweat on decent timing, and the twin highflow intercooling option will lower IAT temps to around 28 degrees above ambient. With a non intercooled turbo kit, it would be above 100 degrees ambient. Not to mention you will put down more hp, and the intercooling will be much safer for your engine. If you go turbo, go with an under-hood setup, or get a supercharger...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kredz28
How bent are you on getting the STS kit? Heres what i think about it. There is an immense amount of lag due to the volume of piping that needs to filled from the rear to the front of the car. They do make good power, but too much lag more me. You had asked how much boost you should run. On stock compression, i would not run more than 6 psi. Why dont you get an intercooled procharger like me? You can run around 8 psi no sweat on decent timing, and the twin highflow intercooling option will lower IAT temps to around 28 degrees above ambient. With a non intercooled turbo kit, it would be above 100 degrees ambient. Not to mention you will put down more hp, and the intercooling will be much safer for your engine. If you go turbo, go with an under-hood setup, or get a supercharger...
Hey whats up. I decided I wanted to go with a sts turbo kit. There super easy to install and easy to take off. Plus they can easily put you over 600rwhp and if not run 10 seconds in a 1/4. They make more torque and power then a supercharger. The meth injection should work just as good as a intercooler and really dont add any weight to your car. A guy that owns a shop said the same thing about turbo lag and there junk. They had this system in Hot rod, superchevy,etc,etc magazines. They would not advertise this product if it did not work that good. Everyone who owned a sts turbo said they loved it more then there vortech and nitrous set-ups in the past. But do a little more reasreach on them. Then you will see why I want one so bad. www.jlturbo.com -- www.ststurbo.com - check those sites out and the videos. Also there in my price range. Very cheap for the performance and power your getting out of those. - Tell me what you think - Later buddy -

Last edited by detroit1994z28; 02-18-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:03 PM

Sounds like a good set-up, not sure how reliable it is. I wouldn't want to be driving in the rain with that filter back there. The long intake piping will act as an intercooler and I have yet to hear of anybody complaining about turbo lag, I hear its pretty good. Just because the turbo is way back there and doesn't have as much exhaust velocity as a front mount set-up doesn't mean anything. All you need is the right turbo to work with this system. I would do the sts kit, but I feel its asking a bit much for a set-up that could be home made for half the cost. If I ever go FI it might be with a blower, just because its been around longer and tested/improved over the last 10 or more years on our cars.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:38 AM

I would really like to see how a supercharged car would do against a sts turbo car with about the same power. I think I might have someone that might do the challenge. It would be interesting to see the outcome - What you all think - Mike
Old 02-19-2005, 11:51 PM

i personally like what ive seen from the STS kit. i think the lag time would be helpfull. i cant get on the gas 100% with out breaking the tires lose. the lag time would get you moving and then ad power at just about the right time.

i think making some type of charge cooler for the STS kit would be a way to make a good kit great. not saying that it would be the best. just that it could be the best bang for the buck.....
Old 02-21-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by detroit1994z28
Hey whats up. I decided I wanted to go with a sts turbo kit. There super easy to install and easy to take off. Plus they can easily put you over 600rwhp and if not run 10 seconds in a 1/4. They make more torque and power then a supercharger. The meth injection should work just as good as a intercooler and really dont add any weight to your car. A guy that owns a shop said the same thing about turbo lag and there junk. They had this system in Hot rod, superchevy,etc,etc magazines. They would not advertise this product if it did not work that good. Everyone who owned a sts turbo said they loved it more then there vortech and nitrous set-ups in the past. But do a little more reasreach on them. Then you will see why I want one so bad. www.jlturbo.com -- www.ststurbo.com - check those sites out and the videos. Also there in my price range. Very cheap for the performance and power your getting out of those. - Tell me what you think - Later buddy -
Hey man...im definitly not trying to tell you to go one way or the other, because i talk with a guy that has an sts turbo and he likes it, but gripes about turbo lag. Centrifugals have a bit of lag too, because they dont build FULL boost till in the higher rev range. I overloooked the fact that you would be running methanol, which is a significant detail lol. Either way, you will have a badass car, making a hell of a lotta tq, not to mention they sound pretty badass. Really the only thing turning me off about it is the fact that anyone with a 15mm socket could gank it. Lemme know what numbers you put down, and i will tell you my numbers with the d1sc twin highflow setup. BTW, if you ever drive through colorado springs with the STS it, send me a PM and we will have fun with the plethera of rice around....