Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Question on TREX-stock pump setup....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 PM

Question on TREX-stock pump setup....

I'am new to the vortec setup, but recently noticed my stock car at one time was setup for a blower.....

It still has the trex pump and the vortec FMU and all that crap on there still even though its stock. We'll i was wondering about the FMU:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=281825

So i was reading up on the instructions from vortec, and it says you use the trex pump in conjuntion with the stock pump? whats up with that..... what if the stock pump fails? will the vortec pump still work or visa versa? whats the deal with all that, and how does that affect a stock car with no blower....cuz im getting horrible milage.....
Old 07-14-2004, 10:34 PM

If either fuel pump fail, it will probably go lean and blow up.

Your milage won't be affected by the pump/FMU unless something is badly malfunctioning. They don't start working until the engine gets into boost.

Mike
Old 07-14-2004, 10:43 PM

I was set up for a blower too (sold it back in '99, left the trex on too)

The Trex isn't hurting anything or affecting your mileage. It's basically ust making noise and perhaps helping to support the pressure from your stock fuel pump. Stock pumps are famous for losing pressure at WOT with high mileage.

You can remove the FMU, it's doing nothing without boost. The stock regulator would be fine. Verify ~ 39 - 43 psi at idle depending on cam and altitude and closer to 46 psi at WOT, again depending on altitude.

You can remove the t-rex if you like. I'm thinking of pulling mine, after 5 years the buzzing is getting to me :-)

Hope this helps,
-Christian
Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by engineermike
If either fuel pump fail, it will probably go lean and blow up.

Your milage won't be affected by the pump/FMU unless something is badly malfunctioning. They don't start working until the engine gets into boost.

Mike
your not saying that the pump does'nt start working until its in boost are you, you sure, seems like it using stock relay box back that so it should be on all the time.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:08 AM

The pump is on all the time (when the car is running obviously) but the FMU doesnt ramp the fuel pressure up untill it sees boost, seeing as you never see positive manifold pressure is never bumps the fuel pressure up.
You could easly remove it as its just dead weight........
Old 07-15-2004, 01:34 AM

ok roger that, thanks for the post, and obviously about the car running thing lol. Just wondering, if in some rare instance the FMU was bad or something, and it was restricting flow of fuel through the return line from the rails, could that impact gas milage on a stock car? what about having too much pressure with both pumps inline and no blower......could that have any effect on the stock injectors efficency(i've heard stories of them like locking up or something)????
Old 07-15-2004, 05:52 PM

One more question, i guess im just going to remove that thing just to be on the safe side. Do i need to relieve pressure in the system or anything weird like that before i unhook it? Or just undo the lines and put a couple rags under them....?

Also, what type of tools are needed for those connections, they are'nt like hoseclamps or anything, but i remember seeing some of the line removers for my friends mustang, like little round plastic things that slip of the lines, will those work on my car too?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:51 AM

Yes, definately releive the pressure before you try to remove the lines and use rags to keep gas spillage to a minimum. The round fuel line disconnect tools probably work best. I got one of the x line removing tools from Napa, but I had to drill out the swivel point in the center to get it around the FMU connectors.