Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Plug gaps - Don't be afraid to close them.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 AM

EDIS is always waste spark. IE you have 4 coils each with 2 points, so complimentery cyls "fire" at the same time. 1&6 are both tdc at the same time, they both fire, but when 1 is combusting there is just burnt exhaust in #6. Nothing to burn beens no real energy used because it doesn't really do a full spark there.

Multi spark means that I spark at say 26 btdc and then again at 22 btdc - in effect an extra spark to make sure it burns everything in there. This only works at low rpms because the coils need time to charge again, but it basically would make up for any ill effects from running to small of a gap.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM

I am familiar with waste spark, just not the EDIS system. Waste spark would be my prefered method of ignition in a boosted vehicle. (And I am thinking about swapping to the MS)

We were thinking of changing to the EDIS with my friend's megasquirted turbo probe, but we read nothing but complaints in regards to timing.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by number1
I am familiar with waste spark, just not the EDIS system. Waste spark would be my prefered method of ignition in a boosted vehicle. (And I am thinking about swapping to the MS)

We were thinking of changing to the EDIS with my friend's megasquirted turbo probe, but we read nothing but complaints in regards to timing.
What complaints are those? I am always interested in reading more info because its so scattered on these setups.

I don't have any timing issues. I mean you have to line everything up right in the beginning.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 AM

Thought I would follow up. It appears my praise came a little too soon. I've been chasing bugs again. Closing my gaps did help, but it was only a band-aid for the situation. While it did run right in the low teen psi, again I couldn't turn it up anymore.

I did some reading and theres been plenty of testing before me. These guys break down the math if you want to follow it all, or they have a "theoretical" calulator at the bottom of the page. This should give you a rough idea of the power required to cross a given gap under various conditions.

The ford edis coils have been tested @ 22kv by quite a few people. Seems for 12ish psi I need pretty much 22kv and a tiny .020ish gap- moving to 15psi and wanting as large as a .035 gap I am looking at nearly 30kv. If I ever hope to hit 20psi well then its a lot more power.

I am going to pick up a set of aftermarket coils. MSD and accell both offer a 40+kv replacement. Price isn't bad but I am going to hunt a couple of days for some used ones. I may eventually convert to ls2 coils.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

I'll report back with my findings. In theory though, this is whats holding me back. I hope thats all it is now.

Last edited by jsetzer; 10-07-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Do you know what our stock coils are rated at? Trying to figure out what to set my gap at.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 PM

No idea on lt1 or edis coils

Guess I need to search more or build a test rig.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike
V=IR

So, I=V/R

V is set by the primary voltage and the coil.
R is the resistance of the wires, plus the resistance of the gap.

If you half the gap, then you half the resistance. This can double amperage, which doubles the wattage, equating to more spark energy.

Of course, if you reduced the gap to zero, you wouldn't even have a spark, so you can't extrapolate it to zero gap.
A smaller gap requires less voltage to fire due to the lower resistance.