Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

new to Forced induction... got some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 AM

new to Forced induction... got some questions?

I've been having a long debate of deciding if i want to go with a forced induction setup or naturally aspirated... But, I dont know alot about forced induction...

ok, so, i have a 95' z28..... I've heard that if i go with a supercharger, i have to go with a lower compression...

what compression would be best?
What internal parts should i upgrade?
what SC is best?

then Ive also been looking at turbo's.... how do these compare in price and reliability to a SC?

basically, what are the Pros and Cons to both? What are the best setups, with prive vs. results?

Thanks for any responses, i know i should research more myself, but its easy to get some general responses...
Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 AM
n2oblkz

Re: new to Forced induction... got some questions?

As far as the supercharger/turbo debate goes, there are definitely pros and cons to each. The supercharger will be cheaper by far and you will be able to locate many used units if you are willing to purchase used. You just don't see many used turbo LT1 kits. You will have to worry about the stress of the crank snout with the supercharger, especially if you are running a cast crank. Guys have even been breaking the snouts off of forged cranks, you don't have this worry with a turbo. You will also make more power with a turbo with less boost than you will with a supercharger. There are a lot of different variables in this debate but I would say that it mostly comes down to how much money are you willing to spend or can you spend?

As far as the other questions, you can definitely use your stock crank. Guys are running stock LT1 cranks to some serious RWHP and ET's without failures. Like many have said on here before, there are a lot of other parts that would probably fail before the stock crank went. You can also use the stock rods as long as your HP goal isn't too high. I personaly would at least use a good forged I beam rod and a forged blower piston with your stock crank and you will be good for some serious power.
The compression ratio would be good at around 8.5 to 9.0 to 1. You will be able to run quite a bit of boost with that and still run pump gas.
Either Vortech or ATI would be good untis and have both proven to make some good power. I was leaning towards ATI since it can be purchased as a self contained unit for easier intall times and less problems. But, I think that I have decided to go the turbo route instead, if I can pull it off. I hope this helped some.