Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

MikeGyver's Turbo 383 Build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 AM

Thanks guys. Put some more work in on the car tonight; built the 3.5" IC-to-intake pipe.
I'll get some better pics with a real camera, this was taken with my phone.

Added some pipe where the MAF was
Old 08-20-2010, 02:25 AM

Here balancing on the 3 legged chair (which is also balancing), is the pipe compared to the old 2.25" one. This is how the pipe sits in the car; top goes to intake elbow, bottom to I/C. The tennis ball gives some size reference.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM

<Golf claps> Look at that weld quality! <Dave whistles lustily...>
Boy, the difference in those two pipes in amazing. I looks like it should pick up a notable amount of power just from that.
Another great job. Who needs printed automotive material when we have resident artists like this?

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM

Man, those welds are AMAZING. Truly quality work. Care to do my cold side for me???
Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 AM

Today I welded on the blow off valve flange and some pipe bungs. There is one 1/4" NPT bung and two 1/8". The bungs are on the bottom of the pipe so they are not visible. One is for the wastegate boost reference, the other two I'm not sure yet.

By referencing the wastegate up at the end of the intake piping, the desired boost pressure is regulated regardless of any pressure drop through the intake piping & intercooler.

1/8" NPT bung

Last edited by MikeGyver; 08-21-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 AM

Now I have some good motivation to re-route the fuel lines so they go straight across in the back.

The MSD 6A in the bottom right still needs to be raised up a bit and mounted.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 08-21-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Just flat amazing Mike! Great fab work. What do you mean about the fuel lines? Running braided up the back of the motor right to the FPR?

Today I welded on the blow off valve flange and some pipe bungs. There is one 1/4" NPT bung and two 1/8". The bungs are on the bottom of the pipe so they are not visible. One is for the wastegate boost reference, the other two I'm not sure yet.

By referencing the wastegate up at the end of the intake piping, the desired boost pressure is regulated regardless of any pressure drop through the intake piping & intercooler.

1/8" NPT bung
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 AM

Great build pics Mike! Funny thing is I'm where you first began. I've got a 2002 SS Camaro that I'm slapping on an STS turbo system, and am planning on mounting an intercooler in the same location as you. My engine is a little on the tired side, and I'm going to have some fun before I get to probably a similar conclusion to you and then do a serious rebuild. My question is what size intercooler did you start with? I'm guessing that the LT and LS Camaros are fairly similar in size up in front, and I want to make sure I get the biggest intercooler I can fit without dragging it on the ground!

Good luck with the build, and I'll be following along with the others (P.S., amazing welds!)
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 AM

My intercooler started with a core size of 22" x 13" x 3.5" and now it's 11.5" tall.
If you're buying a new Fbody STS kit, it already has an intercooler. It's pretty big, ask them for dimensions. It mounts in front of the bumper, which you cut large airflow holes in. I suppose you could modify the piping to bring it back about 3.5" inches but I wouldn't even bother.

One thing I've noticed about custom building something; you can spend an inordinate amount of time on every little detail, but everything you do has it's pros and cons that should be realistically considered for the application... and everything has a point of diminishing returns. Also as soon as you modify something it often opens up a can of worms, but If customizing things is what you like to do then grab the cutoff wheel

Last edited by MikeGyver; 08-24-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 AM

One thing I've noticed about custom building something; you can spend an inordinate amount of time on every little detail, but everything you do has it's pros and cons that should be realistically considered for the application... and everything has a point of diminishing returns. Also as soon as you modify something it often opens up a can of worms, but If customizing things is what you like to do then grab the cutoff wheel

I've been through this exact scenario lately.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 AM

I've got an existing STS kit that came out prior to the intercooler. I forgot that STS has an intercooler available now, so I'll give 'em a ring. I've got the cutter wheel, but I certainly don't want to go down that road unless I have to!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 AM

Heavily ported exhaust manifolds...

Who did the porting? I can't wait to see your pipe routing for this.
Such top notch work!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Heavily ported exhaust manifolds...

Who did the porting?
I just gasket matched them to my copper gaskets with a carbide burr and smoothed them out wherever I could. I couldn't believe how much material I ended up removing; There were like 1.5 - 2 cups of filings when I was done.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Nice work man. I should hire you to weld me up some piping so I can get an I/C on mine
Old 08-29-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by NVMYZ28
Nice work man. I should hire you to weld me up some piping so I can get an I/C on mine
Ahh I see you're in Utah too, where at?

Quick Reply: MikeGyver's Turbo 383 Build.