Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

looking for your opinouns

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 07:56 PM

looking for your opinouns

Just trying to figure out what problems are going to come along with this setup. Please give me your honest opinions. The car will not be a daily driver but will see street time and some track time. Hopeing to be making 700rw without the juice. What do you think?.

Block:
355cui Lt1
Felpro 1071 head gaskets
4 bolt main caps with ARP main studs
Eagle 4340 forged H-Beam connecting rods
SRP forged pistons
JE Hellfire rings
Clevite 77 race bearings
233/242 duration @ .050", .569"/.576" lift with 1.6 rockers, 114lsa.

Heads:
Ported stock

Fuel system:
ditching the stocker all togeatherand going with an Aeromotive pump with aeromotive 1:1 fuel pressureregulator with controller.

Power Adder:
Ati F1 procharger
17psi
3-core intercooler
Tnt f2(75-100 shot)3500-5500rpm

Transmission:
D&D prepped T-56 or
4L80E with a lockup 3000stalled converter.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:10 PM

If should make 700 rwhp with a T56. The only thing I would do different is the fuel system. I am not a fan of Aeromotive products. I would probably go with Weldon stuff. Yeah more money but worth it.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by IDOXLR8
If should make 700 rwhp with a T56. The only thing I would do different is the fuel system. I am not a fan of Aeromotive products. I would probably go with Weldon stuff. Yeah more money but worth it.
I agree with the above but want to point out that there are not nearly as many blown 700rwhp street small blocks out there as you might think based on what gets thrown around on the Internet or iin car mags. I have seen (with my own personal eyeballs) hundreds of cars on the dyno. Of these, there were two SC small block street cars the made over 700rwhp and one auto that comes close. If you doubt my opinion of how rare these are, look at it another way. A 3,600lb car ought to trap at ~135mph with 700rwhp. If you go to the track much I'll bet you haven't seen too many street small blocks trapping over 130mph (~600rwhp), let alone 135mph.

So, don't think it will be cheap or easy. If it were, everyone would be doing it. Your heads will be a big factor. You are going to have a hard time getting the CR low enough to make that kind of hp on pump gas with the stock chamber size. And getting enough flow will take a hell of a port job. None of the three cars I cited used a stock casting. A stock intake will also be a problem. I think you are being unrealistic, though I won't say it's impossible because it not - given enough time and money.

One specific suggestion: get JE and not the SRP piston. Tougher alloy. You are also going to need a good crank, excellent valve train parts, etc.

Overall, I can't say I understand a hp goal. Set a budget and get the most you can for your $$$.

Rich Krause

Last edited by rskrause; 06-06-2004 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by rskrause
I agree with the above but want to point out that there are not nearly as many blown 700rwhp street small blocks out there as you might think based on what gets thrown around on the Internet or iin car mags.Rich Krause
Exactly......This is why I want to get there b/c the lack of people I see making this kind of power especially in an LT1.

Originally posted by rskrause I have seen (with my own personal eyeballs) hundreds of cars on the dyno. Of these, there were two SC small block street cars the made over 700rwhp and one auto that comes close. If you doubt my opinion of how rare these are, look at it another way. A 3,600lb car ought to trap at ~135mph with 700rwhp. If you go to the track much I'll bet you haven't seen too many street small blocks trapping over 130mph (~600rwhp), let alone 135mph.
Rich Krause [/B]
I aslo think that this hp goal isnt what everyone wants in a street/strip vehicle. except me

Originally posted by rskrause So, don't think it will be cheap or easy. If it were, everyone would be doing it.Rich Krause [/B]
This im aware of, but as long as I have people like your self and Idoxlr8 and others im sure I can get there.:-)

Your heads will be a big factor. You are going to have a hard time getting the CR low enough to make that kind of hp on pump gas with the stock chamber size.Rich Krause [/B]
I thought about that but I wasnt goign to run pump gas. i was thinking more along the lines of 110/93. As far as heads go I guess I'll change those as well. Im thinking more along the lines of Afr 110's or 210's. But as expensive as this setup is or is going to be I wouldnt waste my time with pump gas anyway.

Originally posted by rskrause One specific suggestion: get JE and not the SRP piston. Tougher alloy. You are also going to need a good crank, excellent valve train parts, etc.Rich Krause [/B]
I thought the only difference betwen the srp pistons and JE was that SRP shelved alot of the more common slugs as supposed to Je was more of a custom piston. I didnt knwo they used different alloys and metals.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:00 PM

If your mind are set for 700rwhp. As Rich has mentioned use JE heavy duty not the the SRP piston. There are two different piston, JE use different alloy than the SRP piston does that is why JE piston are cost more than a typical SRP piston.

Bruce
Old 06-06-2004, 05:55 PM

When you are talking big boost, the thicker deck of the AFR is also an advantge in terms of gasket retention. Cost is not very different from the perspective of a fully ported stock head. FWIW, with that fuel it already is not a "street car" by my definition. Your driving range will be limited a 1/2 tank out and a 1/2 tank back. Maybe a 75 mile radius if it's a manual and a lot less if it's an auto.

Check out http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp for a tranny. I am thinking of switching back to one of these.

Rich Krause
Old 06-06-2004, 06:47 PM

I agree with the above but want to point out that there are not nearly as many blown 700rwhp street small blocks out there as you might think based on what gets thrown around on the Internet or iin car mags. I have seen (with my own personal eyeballs) hundreds of cars on the dyno. Of these, there were two SC small block street cars the made over 700rwhp and one auto that comes close. If you doubt my opinion of how rare these are, look at it another way. A 3,600lb car ought to trap at ~135mph with 700rwhp. If you go to the track much I'll bet you haven't seen too many street small blocks trapping over 130mph (~600rwhp), let alone 135mph.

So, don't think it will be cheap or easy. If it were, everyone would be doing it. Your heads will be a big factor. You are going to have a hard time getting the CR low enough to make that kind of hp on pump gas with the stock chamber size. And getting enough flow will take a hell of a port job. None of the three cars I cited used a stock casting. A stock intake will also be a problem. I think you are being unrealistic, though I won't say it's impossible because it not - given enough time and money.

One specific suggestion: get JE and not the SRP piston. Tougher alloy. You are also going to need a good crank, excellent valve train parts, etc.

Overall, I can't say I understand a hp goal. Set a budget and get the most you can for your $$$.

Rich Krause
As always Rich is the man. I agree with him 100% on the above statement.

When I made 700 rwhp on my car it took alot of time and headaches but I am finally there. This was done on race gas and the funny thing was that the car had more left in it. Like an idiot I took the car to the dyno and forgot to buy T-bolt clamps. Boy was that a big mistake. I kept blowing intercooler pipes and got frustrated so I called it a day. The guy who tuned my car was up from Florida for the weekend so I did not have time to let him look at my car again. The place I dynoed my car is used by Crapsyler (Chrysler ) to dyno their Vipers so it is extremely legit.

People always get worried about making boost and making a X amount of hp. When is comes down to it you can run in the 10's with 550 rwhp if you car is setup properly. As always MEANLT1 you have my number and I'll give you honest advise on things.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:21 PM

As always Rich is the man. I agree with him 100% on the above statement.

When I made 700 rwhp on my car it took alot of time and headaches but I am finally there. This was done on race gas and the funny thing was that the car had more left in it.
People always get worried about making boost and making a X amount of hp. When is comes down to it you can run in the 10's with 550 rwhp if you car is setup properly. As always MEANLT1 you have my number and I'll give you honest advise on things.
Well you are to blame for my new setup so thank you . And as always I'll call you when I have any particualr questions. Would you consider your car a street car running race gas and what not?. Also I wonder who builds a stronger T-56, D7D performance ot G-force?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by MEAN LT1
Well you are to blame for my new setup so thank you . And as always I'll call you when I have any particualr questions. Would you consider your car a street car running race gas and what not?. Also I wonder who builds a stronger T-56, D7D performance ot G-force?
I am sure my could be a street car if I decided to tune it for pump gas. I would also have to install another fan for everyday driving.

Another thing that would get on my nerves quickly is the sound of the Locker (clunk clunk clunk bang bang bang, lol.)

If I were you I would get the internals cyro'd and get the upgraded output shaft from D&D. Just a little FYI I am getting rid of my T56 to go with a TH400 so let me know if you are interested.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 AM

I am sure my could be a street car if I decided to tune it for pump gas. I would also have to install another fan for everyday driving.

Another thing that would get on my nerves quickly is the sound of the Locker (clunk clunk clunk bang bang bang, lol.)

If I were you I would get the internals cyro'd and get the upgraded output shaft from D&D. Just a little FYI I am getting rid of my T56 to go with a TH400 so let me know if you are interested.
Pm sent.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by MEAN LT1
Pm sent.
replied.

Also check your email.