Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

looking for vortech s-trim dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 AM

Question looking for vortech s-trim dyno numbers

wanted to see what kinda numbers are being had using the s trim kits on lt1's.

im planning on using either an s or an si trim non intercooled kit on a mild 355 using a small (50-100) wet shot for cooling the mix.

im looking for a very streetable 525-550 rwhp, is the s trim the best way for me to go? this will be primarily a street driven car that will see DD duty.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:45 AM

well it depends on whether you have to have a smog legal blower. if not, go with a t-trim. you could up the boost without maxing out the blower and keep the iats down.

you will be looking at around 400+ with a s trim with the stock pulley at 5psi (of course you could always up the boost). then maybe 450-500 with your shot.

you could also use meth to cool it. but id think that the n2o would give more HP.

Jeremy
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Hopefully you are planning on buying used...

It appears Vortech has discontinued the Supercharger Kits for LT1 applications....see link http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=107
Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM

yikes! I wonder if they will warranty parts still?

My shop car turbo kit will easily make your level of power, but honestly, I would never boost a daily driver (unless it came that way from the dealer) Boost just adds potential problems... especially when you put your foot in it

If you are interested in my kit, let me know.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
yikes! I wonder if they will warranty parts still?

My shop car turbo kit will easily make your level of power, but honestly, I would never boost a daily driver (unless it came that way from the dealer) Boost just adds potential problems... especially when you put your foot in it

If you are interested in my kit, let me know.
HAHAHA!!!!! yeah, im sure they still warranty their stuff.....like rebuilding the blower. for a small fee of course i think they have a price sheet for that kinda stuff.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by bkrepindy
Hopefully you are planning on buying used...

It appears Vortech has discontinued the Supercharger Kits for LT1 applications....see link http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=107
wow, last i heard the had just upgraded the compressor wheel and the old trims werent being used anymore.

i guess my blower kit just became more valuable
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

I think you can get there. You'll have to max the blower out to get those numbers. It will be easier with the Si as it is in between the S and the T.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 PM

With bolt-ons, a 230/236duration .555/.555lift cam, and methanol mine made 488rwhp. I've never had the heads off. Still on the stock throttle body too. Those are the corrected #'s, on a 40 degree day it actually put down 522rwhp uncorrected. It pushes around 7.5 pounds just before i shift at 6200rpm. My pulley combo is a 7" lower, and i think i went with a 3.80 blower pulley. I had ASP make it for me since nobody carries them that large for LT1's. I bought my kit used on this board and was plesently suprised when it came with a 7" vortech crank pulley since they are hard to find. Only problem with used kits is the running around trying to find all the hardware and miscelaneous parts you need b/c they rarely come with every nut and bolt. I downloaded the parts list and ordered a few things directly from vortech. Well worth the money I saved!!!!!!!! Hope this helps BTW 93's rock

kevin
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by z28ke
With bolt-ons, a 230/236duration .555/.555lift cam, and methanol mine made 488rwhp. I've never had the heads off. Still on the stock throttle body too. Those are the corrected #'s, on a 40 degree day it actually put down 522rwhp uncorrected. It pushes around 7.5 pounds just before i shift at 6200rpm. My pulley combo is a 7" lower, and i think i went with a 3.80 blower pulley. I had ASP make it for me since nobody carries them that large for LT1's. I bought my kit used on this board and was plesently suprised when it came with a 7" vortech crank pulley since they are hard to find. Only problem with used kits is the running around trying to find all the hardware and miscelaneous parts you need b/c they rarely come with every nut and bolt. I downloaded the parts list and ordered a few things directly from vortech. Well worth the money I saved!!!!!!!! Hope this helps BTW 93's rock

kevin

do you know where to get a 7" pulley? `i dont see them even available on vortech's website anymore...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ss#1230
do you know where to get a 7" pulley? `i dont see them even available on vortech's website anymore...
http://www.aspracing.com/index.html

Give them a call and they can make just about any size pulley you want.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:03 PM

thanks for the replies fellas

its a non emissions kit il look into the bigger blowers, is there any down sides to running say a T-trim blower on an approx. 500rwhp motor? no overheating/boost lag issues?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM

When i build a motor i'm shooting for 650rwhp with the s-trim, its definately been done before, even without over-spinning the crap out of it. I'm going to go with a 355, probably b/w 9.0 and 9.5:1 compression, with AI ported stock heads/intake and a properly matched blower cam, 3" y-pipe, methanol injection, etc. I think your power goals are pretty conservative for a s-trim. So long as you keep the cubes small and the compression higher than the typical 8.5:1 blower setup you can make good power with the s-trim. BTW I'll probably go with head studs and good gaskets to help with the increased cylinder pressure do to the higher than typical compression(for a blower motor)

kevin
Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
http://www.aspracing.com/index.html

Give them a call and they can make just about any size pulley you want.
they were a huge help for me with the blower pulley, even helped me with the belt size i needed, and it was a perfect fit.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM

kevin- thanks for the posts, sounds like were buildin some similar engines, right now the list goes as follows:

stock crank/rod 355; ARP hardware throughout
dished k.b forged pistons
stock heads port matched to edelbrock vic. jr.
mild blower cam ( any suggestions anyone???)
nitrous outlet plate kit
and of course, a vortech.

now for my combo, im looking to push 8-11 lbs of boost so what size pulley should i be looking at?

my nitrous will be plumbed with its own seperate fuel tank/system, which will probably be filled with 105 octane race fuel. with this combination of 93 pump and 105 race, i shouldnt have any issues with detonation right?

sorry for the questions but im brand new to the f/i game
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by sn8ke eatr
kevin- thanks for the posts, sounds like were buildin some similar engines, right now the list goes as follows:

stock crank/rod 355; ARP hardware throughout
dished k.b forged pistons
stock heads port matched to edelbrock vic. jr.
mild blower cam ( any suggestions anyone???)
nitrous outlet plate kit
and of course, a vortech.

now for my combo, im looking to push 8-11 lbs of boost so what size pulley should i be looking at?

my nitrous will be plumbed with its own seperate fuel tank/system, which will probably be filled with 105 octane race fuel. with this combination of 93 pump and 105 race, i shouldnt have any issues with detonation right?

sorry for the questions but im brand new to the f/i game

ive never heard of KB pistons. are they good? expensive? im planning on doing a similar 355 sometime in the future.

currently i am running on a basically stock motor with the hotcam and 1.6rr's. im sure that the overlap on my cam is bleeding boost, but with a stock crank pulley and a 3.12 blower pulley i am only seeing a peak of 7psi. so im gonna say go with a 2.95 or smaller to get your desired boost on your 355...

Quick Reply: looking for vortech s-trim dyno numbers