Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

how much power with a powerdyne???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:44 AM

how much power with a powerdyne???

i think they offer 4.5 and 6, what hp increase would you expect from that? what about track times?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:52 PM

Re: how much power with a powerdyne???

powerdyne kits arnt worth the $$$ my honest opinion
Old 11-16-2005, 05:39 PM

The 4.5# is worth about 75, and the 6# around 100 RWHP thereabouts.

They are cheap, quiet, and easy to install. Downside is limited horsepower potential. If you will be satisfied with up to 450 hp, you will be perfectly happy. If you want something that can support power levels above 500, it is not enough blower.

I like mine fine.

Rog
Old 11-18-2005, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 94LT1_89TTA
The 4.5# is worth about 75, and the 6# around 100 RWHP thereabouts.

They are cheap, quiet, and easy to install. Downside is limited horsepower potential. If you will be satisfied with up to 450 hp, you will be perfectly happy. If you want something that can support power levels above 500, it is not enough blower.

I like mine fine.

Rog
what are your mods beside the powerdyne to get you that time? what size pulley do you have?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:42 PM

No problem, but be forewarned. I built it with all kinds of parts that everyone says won't work...

The engine is a 9.9:1 355 with stock crank, Manley 5.85" sportsman rods, and KB-197 hyperuetectic pistons. The heads are TFS LT1 G1's (yes twisted wedges) ported by Craig Gallant (GTP) in Houston. Same cam as yours. SLP headers, and 2OTL exhaust. Holley 58mm TB on ported stock intake. 42# injectors fed my a walbro 255L intank pump.

The PD is pullied with a 7" (crank), 3.1" (blower), 8 rib setup I had made by Autospecialties in Houston. I did that to eliminate belt slip. It makes 6 psi at 6500 rpm. I have broken (2) internal belts so far, but I have found a cheap source of parts, and replace them myself. I can only blame myself though as it was my choice to overspeed it. All in all it's been a good combination. It has been together for about 5 years. I tune it with LT1 edit, and it is run exclusively on pump gas with zero knock count.

T56 trans, McLeod dual disk with the aluminum FW into a KTRE 12-bolt with 3.90 richmond gear. That ET was on Firestone SZ50's (285/40/17).

Rog
Old 11-19-2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by 94LT1_89TTA
No problem, but be forewarned. I built it with all kinds of parts that everyone says won't work...

The engine is a 9.9:1 355 with stock crank, Manley 5.85" sportsman rods, and KB-197 hyperuetectic pistons. The heads are TFS LT1 G1's (yes twisted wedges) ported by Craig Gallant (GTP) in Houston. Same cam as yours. SLP headers, and 2OTL exhaust. Holley 58mm TB on ported stock intake. 42# injectors fed my a walbro 255L intank pump.

The PD is pullied with a 7" (crank), 3.1" (blower), 8 rib setup I had made by Autospecialties in Houston. I did that to eliminate belt slip. It makes 6 psi at 6500 rpm. I have broken (2) internal belts so far, but I have found a cheap source of parts, and replace them myself. I can only blame myself though as it was my choice to overspeed it. All in all it's been a good combination. It has been together for about 5 years. I tune it with LT1 edit, and it is run exclusively on pump gas with zero knock count.

T56 trans, McLeod dual disk with the aluminum FW into a KTRE 12-bolt with 3.90 richmond gear. That ET was on Firestone SZ50's (285/40/17).

Rog
certainly an impressive trap. I am going to get my stock heads/intake ported by LE(le1). Not sure what kind of flow numbers you got from your TW heads, and then corresponding port job.

Were you having problems with the stock powerdyne 6# pulley setup with belts breaking/slipping and thats why you went to a custom? I would actually be lookin at a 4.5# system, as I want to make a mild combo of just a touch over 400 rwhp ultimately(assuming the H/C/I setup puts my auto at about 360 rwhp). Probably run that until the engine goes. Then rebuild with a mild 355(forged pistons/rods)...and maybe dump the PD and upgrade somewhere else(turbo?). ill have to see how satisfied I am with 400 rwhp. Also impressive to see you running the same combo for 5 years.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:43 PM

I never broke the drivebelt, but I had slippage issues from the start. I also wanted to overdrive it early on. Rather than go the smaller blower pulley route that I knew would just slip more, I went with bigger pullies on both ends for more belt wrap (contact area) and upped it to 8 rib since they were custom anyway. Glad I did. Good luck with yours. You shouldn't have any issues at 4.5#.

I will have to dig up the flow sheet on the heads. They are really good at mid lift on the intake, 279 at .550" I think.

Rog
Old 11-23-2005, 04:10 PM

Post Re: how much power with a powerdyne???

Rog is being a bit humble. I think his car represents about the best that can be done with a Powerdyne (really probably 500 rwhp based on his 123.6 trap) without the use of water/alcohol/N20. He basically designed his engine to make the most of the PD he already had, so he runs lightweight parts, highest effective C.R. he can consistently get away with on pump gas, ideal cam for his heads, etc. He helped me (and continues to help me) tremendously with mine and I'm proud to say mine probably makes something in the neighborhood of 450 rwhp (maf has hit 466 gps).

The advantages are the extreme quietness and being self contained, and even I can r&r one and I'm no mechanical guru. As Rog stated, the disadvantage is 450 hp is the typical limit for most ....if you know how to design around it and overspin it some ~500 is achievable.

Personally, I wish I had gone the Vortech route because I'd like to have intercooling, a spring loaded tensioner, some gear whine, and another ~60ish rwhp, and a blower that's less likely to break. As far as power goes though what I'd really enjoy is the increased low and mid range torque from more like 9-10 PSI than the 6 PSI I run now.

Overall I would say the PD got me close to where I really want to be now (500-550 rwhp) and it's a good item to buy used if you think you might want to switch later. I always assumed like ~375 rwhp would be "plenty" for me, that was part of my decision to go the PD route. I was pretty happy with that combo (6.45 crank pulley, 2.93 blower pulley, long tubes, stock longblock exc 1.6 RR's) and it made a corrected 384 rwhp 402 rwtq on very conservative dyno tuning. Then I went through a rebuild (probably didn't need to, loooong story) and planned to switch to a Vortech while in the process but couldn't find a used one in a timely fashion. Rog designed my engine to be a compromise best of both worlds to work well with 6 PSI or optimally at 9 PSI later on since it was undecided what I would do. I had decided that I could afford a shortblock capable of handling 500 hp so he designed the longblock to make that with 9 PSI. He even factored in the ring gaps opening up over time and things like that, very sharp guy to say the least. Gotta brag on ya some Rog, you're "the man" as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway trouse40, research it and make your comparisons carefully before you make a decision, there are obviously a lot of factors to consider.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Damn ROG you live in Fredneck too wow so do I. I guess Fredneck is the home of the fastest PD cars My PD SS went 11.1 @ 122. My opinion of the PD is its good for a street car. That is what my SS is built for I have My TA for some street cruising and 9s at the track.

Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1
Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 PM

Cool Re: how much power with a powerdyne???

Jeff, I haven't been posting on here much lately ....good to see you're still in here, you gave me lots of tips a few years back and I appreciate it. I had the green Z that was stuck at John Sealock's for a good portion of 2002 lol ...that will probably ring a bell. I think he's a good guy but he sure had his hands full with my old combination. If I remember right Jeff, didn't you say your combo hit ~430 rwhp on conservative tuning? (pretty good) I don't think you're overspinning yours like Rog and I are either.

I guess this thread can prove to some of the PD bashers that they can be a pretty good item for the street and make good power when the engine is matched up fairly well or ideally. Much of the bashing is well founded though, I have to admit. My dislikes are: no spring loaded tensioner, no high boost and/or intercooling option, very poor alignment of discharge tube and up pipe, no bypass valve included in kit (albeit not needed in most cases). However I like the quietness most of the time (sometimes I wish there was at least a little more noise) and the ease of operation/R&R/being self contained is good. They are cheaper than others as mentioned too and can be rebuilt with better internals. btw I think the six rib pullies are kind of lame, forcing you to either overtighten to prevent slip which may ruin bearings, or leave it somewhat loose to help bearing life, knowing it may cause slippage. This is why I went with a larger custom crank pulley from ASP rather than a smaller blower pulley like the 2.7" PD sells to get a little more boost (more surface area for grip, as Rog stated). All of these little things can be overcome, but at what cost? (custom pullies, bypass valve, N2O in lieu of extra boost when you want more power, etc .....it can add up). It's really just fine left just as is if all you ever want to do is run ~6 PSI on a stockish or mild motor though.

Last edited by canbaufo; 11-23-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 PM

Three words to answer your question, NOT VERY MUCH! I dont care for powerdyne anything. Just my opinion. Good day
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM

canbaufo Ya I remember you well I felt pretty bad about recommending you go see John when you started having all the problems but I know it wasn't John screwing you it was just some freak issues with your car oh well I'm glad you have your car sorted out now.

I'm running a 7 inch crank pully and the 4.5# blower pully which I think pretty much maxes out that little blower but its plenty of power for a street car with ocassonial trips to the track.

I removed my intercooler on my other car and started experimenting with alky injection and know I'm a big beleiver and may go ahead and throw a kit on the PD car know too. I'm maxing my D1 with alky and no IC and making big power!!!

Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 PM

Cool Re: how much power with a powerdyne???

Jeff, I had pretty much decided on Woodbridge anyway. There were some freak issues and John is an honest guy. Some of the ways he tackled things weren't the smartest though, not that I could do any better. Thanks to Rog I have my car sorted out....you think my issues at the dyno shop were bad, you should have seen what went down with the rebuild. There were all kinds of issues during the rebuild, as I had a somewhat inexperienced mechanic and a machine shop with zero communication skills. After more than a year I finally gave up on my mechanic and took it to Rog, he figured out that my cam grind was wrong even though the ICL was pretty close and it appeared to be the right grind at a glance. He found a bunch of other little issues my mechanic missed and others he likely couldn't have figured out, I can't tell you how much he helped me and am forever indebted as far as I'm concerned. He put an end to a really bad nightmare and I wound up with a really cool combination that he had designed.

I could see where the alky injection could significantly improve power on the PD, not via allowing for extra boost since there isn't room for a significant gain (your impellor rpm is just slightly over mine with that pulley combo, mine hit's max impellor rpm at 6,400) but you could combine more aggresive tuning with the lowered combustion chamber temp to get a good gain, especially on hot days of course. Let us know how that works out. I suppose I'd consider something like water injection or alcohol injection someday, and that would probably be safer than a small shot of nitrous.

What kind of traps do you see with that 396? ~145?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 PM

Check this thread to see
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...highlight=jeff

Lets just say I see almost 4 times the boost and almost double the power that my PD car makes

I have solved the problems I was having in that post with bogging off the line so I need a track! I think it has a few tenths and a few MPH left in it
Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1

Last edited by Jeff 96 SS; 11-23-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up Re: how much power with a powerdyne???

Originally Posted by Jeff 96 SS
Check this thread to see
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...highlight=jeff

Lets just say I see almost 4 times the boost and almost double the power that my PD car makes

I have solved the problems I was having in that post with bogging off the line so I need a track! I think it has a few tenths and a few MPH left in it
Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1
Holy crap! Nice pic of the launch. lol, I was just guessing about ~145 mph and pretty much nailed it. I'm kind of surprised you can get that kind of power out of the AFR 190's....but look at all the stuff you're forcing through them lol. Freaking impressive as hell though. I could never have the patience to work three years on an expensive project like that. Good job!

Quick Reply: how much power with a powerdyne???