Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

How to build your own turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:05 PM

How to build your own turbo kit?

How would you go about even starting to build your own turbo kit? I understand that you will still have to buy some parts but what will you have to make yourself? Are home made turbo kits able to make as much hp and as reliable as manufactured kits? About how much would it cost to make a kit for a stock LT1 camaro?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:56 PM

first you need a plan.

second you need a goal (boost, ect.. )

third, you size out a turbo, and figure out where it will go.

4th, you create manifolds, downbipe, and support brackets.

Then, start on the air side, create the intake tubing, turbo to ic tubing, and then ic to TB tubing.

on a LT1, is not easy, and if you have never done anything like this before, you might be jumping in over you head.

A friend of mine has turboed 2 cars, his 00 V6 mustang (11.9) and another friends V6 firebird (12.9)

On a LT1, the best thing to do is copy one of the proven kits, (if such a thing exists, im a ls1 guy, and don't know)

I've been throwing the idea around on my car for a while, but i dont have the downtime to have it down for a month while i fab stuff up with help.

Ryan.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:10 PM

I've built a few turbo setups, and am fabricating my 3rd system now. At a bare minimum, I'd say around $2000 just for parts if it is going to be done right [on a LT1/LS1]... It has always cost me more than that, though (one of my systems had a turbonetics T-76 BB was $2000 just by itself). I'm sure if you scrounged cheap used parts you might be able to go cheaper, but be forewarned: a lot can go wrong with something as complex as a turbo system! A malfunctioning wastegate [and 40# of instantanous boost] or a bad turbo thrust bearing that sends compressor bits through the motor is no fun!

If you've never had previous experience with a turbo car, I'd start out with a kit that's already built... Also, you *really* need to be a decent welder with good welding and cutting equipment. Building a kit for these cars is no walk in the park, even for someone that knows what they are doing - finding a good layout with such cramped spaces is damn hard... count on hours and hours of measuring!