Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Going "Drifting" - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Going "Drifting" - Advice please

So this is kind of a strange place for this subject but before it gets moved to a suspension section heres my dilema:

My car is a stock internals lt1 with a D1 procharger on it. (I know bad move, but i fully intend to rebuilt it and do not expect it to last forever) and its setup for about 5psi at 5750 (if the fellow at procharger who directed my pulley decision was correct). I have never taken the car hard enough that I have got it to see boost, which I dont fully understand. It gets to 0 vacuum fairly easy, but even spun up to 4k im not seeing any boost. Any ideas?

Anyways, this weekend im going drifting at a local track (strangely enough the import crowd has more events than the local strip, go figure) and my concern in this: If i take this drifting, and have it blipped to around the 5k mark assuming i see some boost at that point, am i going to be in hot water and expect the motor to pop?

I hear people being ok for a while at 7psi, so at around 0 vacuum to a few psi how likely am I to do damage to the motor?

I know its a dumb question, but any input or advice to give me some peace of mind would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 PM

Re: Going "Drifting" - Advice please

If you make no boost its like the supercharger is not even there. You should start to see some boost almost right away and mine will start to go up, but never reaches more that 4 1/2. It depends on the restrictions of the headers and exhaust how much you see. I would verify the vacuum/boost gauge is working correctly and check your belt to make sure its on correctly. You want to check your intake so there is no way boost is escaping anywhere. How long has it been this way and how long has the charger been on there?

Last edited by mrmint69; 05-09-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: miss spell
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 AM

Charger has been on for about 1 season.
It gets to 0 as soon as i snap the throttle, but it never seems to build much of off that. I have full exhaust, but otherwise the engine is stock.
What can I do to verify the pressure, or check to see where the error is.
Its an AEM digital boost gauge, and I dont believe i have any boost leak but then again, im not looking under the hood while its building pressure.

Help!

Also went practicing today, and it worked just fine!
Aside from when it gets going it seems to push power steering fluid from somewhere, but when im driving it regularly there are no problems....
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 AM

I bought a vacuum/boost gauge from the auto parts store and it was around $20. I hooked it up to the drivers side intake manifold and ran the hose thru the firewall into the car, so I can watch it. What the history on the install, like who did the work and adjusted the belts and general setup?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM

I did the install.
Its a 12rib setup, and I dont think its slipping. There's no powered rubber or anything like that that I should get with belt slip?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Verify all of your pipe connections are secure and make sure your bypass valve is closing all the way. Was the kit new or used? Does it have an intercooler?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:27 PM

It was used, air 2 water intercooler.
How can i verify if its closing all the way?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbadwhitey
How can i verify if its closing all the way?
Pull it off of there and see if it is closed. Vacuum holds them open, so without any vacuum, it should close all the way and you shouldn't be able to blow through it. If it isn't even closing at atmospheric pressure, then it probably would leak boost.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Oh, I will give that a try thank you!
When i have the car shut off it is fully closed, but ill see if i can manage to blow anything through it.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Pull it off of there and see if it is closed. Vacuum holds them open, so without any vacuum, it should close all the way and you shouldn't be able to blow through it. If it isn't even closing at atmospheric pressure, then it probably would leak boost.
Ok so i took it off, and it closes all the way.
So thats not the issue, i guess. What else can i look for?

I have the boost gauge and the valve hooked up to the same port on the driver side of the manifold via a little T fitting, this should be ok correct?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbadwhitey
This has me wondering since ATI doesn't offer an air 2 water setup as far as I recall. You might want to have the intercooler pressure checked along with the bypass valve.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
This has me wondering since ATI doesn't offer an air 2 water setup as far as I recall. You might want to have the intercooler pressure checked along with the bypass valve.
Oh its an air 2 water from CX racing. I had it pressure tested when i bought it, but sadly i dont have a leak down tester at my house. Blah