Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Forced Induction Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:13 PM

Forced Induction Question

This question has probably been asked 1000 times, but I wasn't sure what to type in for search to find my answer, so heres my question...

What would be a better choice? I was in my friends Evo and when the Turbo kicked in, it was freakin sick!! Just loved it... But I know s/c add boost at lower RPM's, which is better for dragging... But, I do lots of long distance driving, and I heard Turbos get annoying because they need to cool down after a 90 minute ride, so you have to let the car run for a bit at idle.

2nd... how much boost can a LT1 engine handle from a s/c or turbo?

Oh yea, it would be going on a LT1 M6. Thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2004, 03:47 PM

First, neither type is necessarily better than the other one when it comes to drag strips.. it's just depends on what your personal preference is. You could argue which one is better until you're blue in the face, but what it really comes down to is how YOU want your car to perform.

Where ever you heard that turbos are "annoying" because you have to let it cool down, go slap that person in the face.. Letting a turbo cool down is as easy as letting your car idle for a few seconds before you shut it off. Doing that isn't really necessary unless you've been driving HARD and the turbo has been producing full boost for long periods (like road course racing).

I see a couple advantages going with a turbo over a S/C. First, unless you're producing boost, a turbo is just along for the ride. While out of boost, a turbo puts a tiny load on your exhaust which slightly increases back pressure. This load is so negligable, you won't notice any decrease in part throttle performance (be it in gas mileage or power production) when compared to when the car was stock. Second, you never have to worry about a belt or belt slippage. A turbo (if performing the way it's supposed to) will produce the amount of boost you want it to every time you ask it to for as long as you want, because there is no belt to slip. Of course, high HP S/C guys always go with COGS setup, but those are kind of pricey if i remember.

with a supercharger, you don't have to make any modifications to your exhaust. Comparatively, you just bolt the thing on and drive (of course it's a bit more in depth than that, but you get the idea). There are others, but i can't think of them because i'm a turbo guy

In the end, it basically comes down to what type of performance you want, and what advantages you see as what you want your car to have. Both setups will make awesome power, and both setups have awesome support in the aftermarket world. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:21 PM

What do you have to do for a Turbo setup?

Is it true that if you add a Turbo, it takes like a HUGE amount of time off the motor?
Old 06-20-2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by ChrisUlrich

Is it true that if you add a Turbo, it takes like a HUGE amount of time off the motor?
That can be true for any forced induction setup put on a bone stock motor and not properly tuned...
Old 06-20-2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by ChrisUlrich

I've got a turbo V6 Camaro.. Single Garrett P-Trim T04 @ 10psi. Exhaust, i have Pace setter headers, Magnaflow high flow cat, Hooker Cat-back.

Any FI will take life off your stock engine, but i wouldn't say it's a HUGE amount unless you're putting alot of boost through it and you abuse the crap out of it. If you take good care of your car and don't go crazy with the boost and get it properly tuned, you won't decrease the life of your engine by all that much.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:02 PM

in most cases the supercharger route is cheaper and easier than going with a turbo(s), though that is starting to change a bit with some of the newer kits coming out for our cars. the main disadvantage of a blower is that it takes power to turn it which the turbo doesnt. as a result the blower will hurt fuel milage more, and you will have to put more stress on the engine to make the same amount of power as a turbo setup since you must make up for the power being used to turn the blower. that or you could put the same load on the engine and make a bit less power with the blower as opposed to the turbo.

the comment about having to let a turbo cool after 90 minutes of driving is false

on a stock LT1 shortblock, i would run no more than 6psi non-intercooled, and even that is a bit iffy for longevity.

Last edited by chevyguy3; 06-20-2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:46 PM

The comment on letting the tubro cool is very true. The speeds and tempature that a turbo opperate at are very high and most motor oils dont like either. Thats like saying you dont need to change you oil every 3000 miles. Your right you dont but it is a good habit and will prolong the life of your turbo. If you get a turbo timer and install it and set it for 45 second to 1 minute you will be fine. A turbo timer lets the car idle after you have turned it off and walked away so that the turbo can slow down and the oil doesnt coke up inside due to heat. Dont let anyone tell you they are for ricers becasue prevetative maintenence is for everyone.

Michael
Old 06-23-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by boostedinaz
The comment on letting the tubro cool is very true. The speeds and tempature that a turbo opperate at are very high and most motor oils dont like either. Thats like saying you dont need to change you oil every 3000 miles. Your right you dont but it is a good habit and will prolong the life of your turbo. If you get a turbo timer and install it and set it for 45 second to 1 minute you will be fine. A turbo timer lets the car idle after you have turned it off and walked away so that the turbo can slow down and the oil doesnt coke up inside due to heat. Dont let anyone tell you they are for ricers becasue prevetative maintenence is for everyone.

Michael
With todays turbos and synthetic oils, letting the turbo cool for any longer than 10 or 15 seconds after an "around town" trip or even a long highway trip where you go in and out of boost occasionally, just isn't necessary. I'd only let my car idle for 45 seconds to a minute if i had been road course racing or something similar for a long time, and my system had been at full boost for equally long periods. Even at that point, i'd see the purchase of a turbo timer as an expensive way of saying "i'm too lazy to sit in my car for less than a minute while the turbo cools off"
Old 06-24-2004, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Teufel Hunden
With todays turbos and synthetic oils, letting the turbo cool for any longer than 10 or 15 seconds after an "around town" trip or even a long highway trip where you go in and out of boost occasionally, just isn't necessary. I'd only let my car idle for 45 seconds to a minute if i had been road course racing or something similar for a long time, and my system had been at full boost for equally long periods. Even at that point, i'd see the purchase of a turbo timer as an expensive way of saying "i'm too lazy to sit in my car for less than a minute while the turbo cools off"
Considering the amount people spend on there cars to turbo them, I would think that 90.00 bucks is a small investment for added security. I look at it as, "I am to cheap to ensure the long life of my 800.00 turbo." Most people that mock them say exactly what you said. "I will just sit here for a second and it will be fine" I had a friend that said that all the time so one day I timmed how long he stayed in his car and asked him how long he stayed. He tol me about a minute. In reality he was there for 18 seconds. A minute when you are sitting there doing nothing is a long time. I can walk all the way into my work and sit at my desk before I here my car turn off.

Michael
Old 06-24-2004, 12:29 AM

. A minute when you are sitting there doing nothing is a long time. I can walk all the way into my work and sit at my desk before I here my car turn off.
Yeah, one minute out of my day would be excessive and uncalled for. I need to live for today and not waste one millisecond of time!!! Actually, one minute wouldnt bother me, and I'd only wait that long if I had been driving the **** out of the car..... and another thing.... If I was out driving a turbo car hard (which I have).. all I'd do is drive around for a few extra minutes, or make sure that the last few minutes of my drive were easy miles, hitting no or little boost. Not many turbo guys drive the **** out of their cars, and then immediatly pull into a parking spot and shut the car off (at least not the ones interested in turbo life).....the last thing i want is a turbo timer that wont allow the car to shut off when I turn the key. But I guess if your human brain isnt smarter than a turbo timer, than you might as well invest in one
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS
But I guess if your human brain isnt smarter than a turbo timer, than you might as well invest in one
Oh I see, so now I am dumb. Nice call fu(k. It has nothing to do with how smart anyone is. Technology can be your friend so embrace it. Why are you so scared about your car running for a bit after YOU turn it off. Would someone try and steal you mass prduced very sought after Camaro, no because if you knew what you were talking about you would know that TT have alot of built in security features. I would go into them but since you are smarter than a TT, a great accomplishment might I add, you already know what they are.

Michael
Old 06-25-2004, 01:09 AM

Oh I see, so now I am dumb. Nice call fu(k. It has nothing to do with how smart anyone is. Technology can be your friend so embrace it. Why are you so scared about your car running for a bit after YOU turn it off. Would someone try and steal you mass prduced very sought after Camaro, no because if you knew what you were talking about you would know that TT have alot of built in security features. I would go into them but since you are smarter than a TT, a great accomplishment might I add, you already know what they are.

Michael
Jees. We're a little cranky arent we???? Did your turbo timer just beat you in a game of tic-tac-toe???

Old 06-25-2004, 01:29 AM

Is it really that hard to park your car and leave it running till the song on the radio is finished playing? A turbo timer is nice to have, but it's certainly not something you can't live without.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Is it really that hard to park your car and leave it running till the song on the radio is finished playing? A turbo timer is nice to have, but it's certainly not something you can't live without.
I never said it was hard to do or that a TT was needed. I just hate when people have nevr used a product and then come on here and say that it is crap or not needed. Like I said before most people that just sit dont realize thaat they will only sit for a short period of time, thats all. Then 5.0this had to jump in with all his great knowledge and start being an a$$hole and insulting peoples intellengance, when he has never used the product.

Michael
Old 06-25-2004, 03:06 PM

Then 5.0this had to jump in with all his great knowledge and start being an a$$hole and insulting peoples intellengance,
Just yours.... and how can one insult another's intelligence when there is none to be found

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Question