Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

A few questions about supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:32 PM

A few questions about supercharging

I just recently ordered an intercooled P-1SC H.O 8 PSI ATI procharger kit for my 96 Z28. Motor is mostly stock except for long tube headers, MSD coil, and a few other minor bolt ons. Now is the stock throttle body, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and MAF going to be sufficient for this supercharger and do I need my car re-tuned for it? The tuning I'm pretty sure I need (already had it converted to OBD-1 by madwolf) but wasnt sure about the other stuff. I have a 255 L/hr in tank pump coming from Racetronix so that should be sufficient on that end hopefully. Anyone else already go through this and figure out exactly whats needed and what isnt? Any help is appreciated.

Myles
Old 01-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Re: A few questions about supercharging

You need injectors - 42lb minimum i'd say.
Tuning required
Install the fuel pump first
TB is fine for now - regulator is fine and MAF is fine.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:11 PM

Cool, thanks. Has anyone here tried the Racetronix Delphi/Lucas 42# High Impedence Fuel Injectors? They sell them at Thunderracing.com for about $330 which is only $30 more than the Ford SVO ones, but they "sound" like they are worth it from the description they give, just wanted someone's 1st hand experience though if possible. Thanks again

Myles

Last edited by Mizz96Z28; 01-19-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:49 AM

I'd have the injector discussion with your tuner. Some fuel injectors are easier to tune than others. The larger fuel injectors will allow you to eliminate the Fuel management unit (FMU) that comes with the SC kit.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 AM

If you bought the fmu with the kit then why not give it a try with your stock injectors? The instructions that come with your kit say that on a stock engine with the fmu and procharger fuel pump setup the stock injectors will be adequate. Plus you might(debateable) get better driveability with smaller injectors. If you don't already have the fmu and procharger fuel pump then the 42pd injectors and racetronix fuel pump is a good idea. Do a search on ebay for injectors. They have great prices.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:24 PM

I had the identical set-up (stock injectors, stock fuel pump with the ATI in-line booster pump and ATI F.M.U.) and just couldn't get the car to run consistant/accurate enough for my liking. (the injectors would lock up due to the excessive fuel pressure created by thr F.M.U. regardless of how I adjusted the F.M.U. amoung other issues) So I installed a Walbro 255 pump, 42 lb. injectors and got rid of the in-linebooster pump and F.M.U. (obviously this requires PCM tuning) The car really came to life and makes tuning much easier. Not to say that the F.M.U. and booster pump won't work, I just had better luck using alternative parts. This also paved the way for future mods which I am in the middle of this winter.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Z28
I had the identical set-up (stock injectors, stock fuel pump with the ATI in-line booster pump and ATI F.M.U.) and just couldn't get the car to run consistant/accurate enough for my liking. (the injectors would lock up due to the excessive fuel pressure created by thr F.M.U. regardless of how I adjusted the F.M.U. amoung other issues) So I installed a Walbro 255 pump, 42 lb. injectors and got rid of the in-linebooster pump and F.M.U. (obviously this requires PCM tuning) The car really came to life and makes tuning much easier. Not to say that the F.M.U. and booster pump won't work, I just had better luck using alternative parts. This also paved the way for future mods which I am in the middle of this winter.
I had to go to 30# injectors because of the heads and cam. I am using the ATI setup with good success. I just bought a wideband to check my a/f ratio and it was 12 to 1 with only a mail order tune from pcmforless. When I pull off the ATI pump my walbro can't keep up and my a/f ratio goes sky high. I don't have the racetronix wiring on my walbro.