Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Fed up... 5th time air filter has been ripped off. help? ATI twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 PM

Fed up... 5th time air filter has been ripped off. help? ATI twins

97 camaro, ati p1sc, with twin hiflows.
I have been having problems locating my filter.
The instructions say put it in the front left behind the intercooler, but there is no room whatsoever there.

i had a small filter first that was directly below the S/c, but it ended getting ripped apart by the rear tires going through an interesection.

then i installed a big filer which was basically crushed, pointing to the left intercooler, but it was to ripped of being less then 2'' off the ground.

Then i had it running behgind the front air damn. probally most optimal, but it to was ripped off tragically. (twice actually)

last place i tried invloved running and elbow out of the blower, down and paralelling the blowers output, then along the radiator and the fliter was mounted behind the pass side radiator. this provided plenty of clearance, but sucking in hot air and having nearly 4 feet of piping its sucked my 90* elbow closed the first time i got on it.

So im at a loss. i really have no clue. i sat under my car for an hour today trying to find a place and there just isnt.

were are you running yours?

These are the idea i came up with tho.
1. cut the #1 primary and route it closer to the head leaving space for a tube to go straight up and mount into the stock SS airbox. very dificult with welding the header up and RE- buying a stock SS airbox is $$$

2. relocatign the battery to the trunk. instead of having the pass side intercoolers run all the way throught the front bumper and up with the drivers side, have it come up were the battery was, and Y pipe togeter before the TB. with this tube gone from the drivers side, run the filter there.
Problem would be welding intake tubes up, and were do you put the maf? i run it on the pressure side, and with an CSI water pump, and the TB so close to the radiator, were would it go?

3. cuttin stuff up, relocate the sway bar mounts, cut holes in the frame, run a metal pipe somewere inside the front bumper. PITA.

4. sell twins, and do someting else?

5. sell car and buy a kia

if you guys want pics let me know
Old 02-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Re: Fed up... 5th time air filter has been ripped off. help? ATI twins

Buy my IC, and run the pipe up the middle , Like on my turbo, all solid pipes, and then you can run the filter in the wheel well.

P
Old 02-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by PatrickCarter
Buy my IC, and run the pipe up the middle , Like on my turbo, all solid pipes, and then you can run the filter in the wheel well.

P

Cut me a good deal and help me do it like yours ....i just hate to cut up my bumper
Old 02-08-2005, 04:39 PM

I heard a rumor that ATI is actually addressing this very problem right now. I'm just waiting till they announce it.
Hopefully it will be better than what is there now.