Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

dual spal 11" fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 10:16 PM

Exclamation Re: dual spal 11" fans?

Update-
I overheated with the FMIC, so I took it off & still overheated w/o it . After a short drive & some idling, water temp got up to 240 on the PCMCOMM software & it boiled over (again). Both fans were running full tilt along with the 11" pusher fan in front of the condenser. As with the RX7 I built, there is no where for the hot air to go in this packed engine bay.

I'm thinking these fans do not flow anywhere near what they are advertised as doing.

I'm also thinking this would be a great NA motor with the stock fans. Everything having to do with the Procharger has been an exercise in frustration. I did see 6 PSI on the gauge with a 12# pulley, though.

My next project will be a Dodge truck with a large x huge engine bay & front end .
Old 09-23-2004, 11:05 PM

Re: dual spal 11" fans?

Dang... i didn't have that MUCH problems with my stock fans... w/o using the a/c i never went over 190.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:16 PM

ive tried to read through all of this alot of posts.....what i found was mostly subjective...is there a definitive way..to measure what stock fans..flow? and how good aftermarket ones are? id consider upgrading to different fans..if someone offered a before and after...like for example.. i had stock fans..and my temps were x.... when i upgraded to brand...b my temps went down to.... y amt etc...perhaps i went through this post too fast and missed alot..lol...

Steve
Old 09-27-2004, 10:04 PM

Exclamation Re: dual spal 11" fans?

Next update:
I ditched the P600B & reinstalled the stock fans, drove it the same distance & let it idle for 15+ minutes- never went over 185. I have to attribute this to the fans, although the Perma-Cool models may work better if they were spaced further away from the radiator.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:12 PM

So you recommend the stockers
Old 09-27-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Highlander
So you recommend the stockers
Based on the above experiences for my setup, yup. If I had designed the 4th gen, you can bet there would be a couple of extra inches in width on each side in the engine bay & at least 6" more in depth.

It would be interesting to see how the Perma-Cools did if they were spaced 1" or so from the radiator (would have a conflict w/ blower pulley at that point), but I'm burned out on working on this car- I want to start enjoying it.

The car would definitely be a blast w/ 6-8 PSI, but I've given up that fight. I suspect it will be easier to add the P600B to the 240Z conversion, better power to weight ratio anyway.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 AM

It occurs to me there's been so much discussion getting more air through that thing into the engine bay - but very little it easier for the air to get back out. Perhaps getting more circulation through the engine bay will help relieve the overheating?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Live for TAs
Based on the above experiences for my setup, yup. If I had designed the 4th gen, you can bet there would be a couple of extra inches in width on each side in the engine bay & at least 6" more in depth.

It would be interesting to see how the Perma-Cools did if they were spaced 1" or so from the radiator (would have a conflict w/ blower pulley at that point), but I'm burned out on working on this car- I want to start enjoying it.

The car would definitely be a blast w/ 6-8 PSI, but I've given up that fight. I suspect it will be easier to add the P600B to the 240Z conversion, better power to weight ratio anyway.
DO you know what 6" in the engine bay means... around 8-10 overall car length.. more cost in lots of things.... etc... I will keep the stocker and put some pusher fans up front for the a/c
Old 09-28-2004, 04:22 PM

YES I do. Since little bodywise carried over from the third gen to the fourth gen, the tooling costs to facilitate this would not have been too outrageous... my point was the designers could have given us more room in the engine bay from the start, which is what I would have done if I was the designer. By doing so, I'd also be able to avoid tucking the rear of the motor under the cowl so far.

I believe based on my experience that the stock fans will do the trick if you can work the rest of the stuff around them, and I have run a pusher fan up front since I began this project. I'd run two as I do on my Bonneville, but the oil cooler on the TA is on the passenger side.

Geoff-
Very few people consider heat exiting the engine bay, this was the killer on my 383 RX7.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up Latest update

As yet another update, I put the FMIC back on today & charged the AC (I'm setting up for the STS turbo now). The needle on the temp gauge stayed under the line between 160 & 210, which is indicating about 180 or so. The good news is this was inside the garage on a 90+ degree day at 5:30 in the afternoon (the hood was up while I did this, so this is not an absolute reading yet).

I'm also adding another relay for the pusher fan up front to run it with the secondary (passenger side) fan. I think this will mainly assist in AC while idling.

While under the car, I noticed there is a gap all the way around the shroud between it & the Be Cool radiator (? if there is this large of a gap on the stock radiator), so the fans can draw air from here instead of through the radiator core. It is like the thickness of a 5/8 heater hose on the sides, and narrower at the bottom. I found some rubber weatherstripping at JC Whitney that has a retainer built in and am going to try this to ensure all air the fans are drawing is through the radiator. I should have this by the end of the week & will do a road test at that point to see how well it works.

In the midst of this testing, I had a fuel leak at the injectors and also an oil leak around the pan where it was clearanced , but these have now been fixed, so I'm feeling about doing some more work on the car.

I've read w/ interest the PTK turbo thread here & am interested to see how their twin pusher fan setup will work.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:58 AM

Re: Latest update

Remember to use some grease on the o-rings for the injectors.. work everytime.

and yes i'm interested also in the pusher fans.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:44 PM

Re: Latest update

For those that can wait another month, I'll have plenty of results on the PTK setup and what it's good for when everything is done. Again, there is no doubt in my mind that I will be sitting pretty temps wise. I'm also doing some basic ducting for the fans and such - controlling flow through is critical, and proper ducting will help.

Also, my heat exchanger for the a/w setup- I have done something I thought would do well. I'll post vids and pics once its assembled and done. But for now I'm keeping it under wraps.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up Latest fan update

I put my JC Whitney weatherstrip on the top & bottom of the fan shroud (couldn't squeeze it in on the sides, but it is a great fit otherwise) and tested with the AC on tonight, about 80-82 degrees w/ high humidity (no Hurricanes this week ). The FMIC was also in place (this blocks most of the air intake between the bumper reinforcement & radiator frame, but I opened up two 5" holes w/ hoses connected to the foglight openings).

While driving a couple miles at 55-60, peak PCMCOMM temp was 201, dash gauge was just over the mark between 160 & 210 (had a couple "enthusiastic" accelerations along the way ). Parked & idled w/ hood closed and PCMCOMM temp dropped to 197. It was still dropping when I shut the AC off, it got down to 188 after a couple of minutes and the dash gauge was well under the 160/210 halfway mark.

I also completed the wiring of the pusher fan prior to this test run, so it was running whenever the passenger side fan was on. AC blew cold the whole time.

The front end gets aligned this week & then I can start putting some miles on this setup.

I noted there was not much airflow on the radiator side of the assembly when I tested the pusher fan by itself (it is blowing through the condenser and then the radiator). I know some here are going to use two of these as a primary cooling setup and I will be interested to see how well they work.

The Perma-Cool experiment was a failure as implemented, but like many, I learn by doing . The next experiment will be a rear mounted turbo.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 AM

Re: Latest fan update

Nice very nice... i was able however to have 190 Datamaster temps w/o a/c on 90º nights and humidity of PR... no hurricanes either

anyways.. i would like to have the pusher fans, because one reason or another the car just heated up a lot when i put on the a/c and a/c is something I WILL NOT live w/o.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:43 PM

Re: Latest fan update

i just bumped into this thread and have a few questions. When i bought my car it had two 11" pushers and the stock 2 pullers, a front mounted procharger intercooler (i believe its actually the spearco ic), and the previous owner took out all of the under bumper air diverters and shrouds. It would overheat while riding around town but would stay about 210 on steady driving. However, I removed those 2 fans, and added all of the stock plastic pieces and put the IC down under the engine the way ATI showed it. No i can ride around town with the fans off and it will sit at about 190. On the highway with no fans it sits at 177. My questions are these: Is there a huge advantage over having the IC front mounted as opposed to having it underneath with a scoop? Do you see any benifit over swapping out to some pusher style fans now that cooling is under control. I would surely like the clearence up front. I was thinking something like twin mounted slimlines or 2 16" slimlines, one pushing one pulling. Anywho what are your thoughts?
Motor specs are 383 lt-1 w/ p600b ati procharger

Quick Reply: dual spal 11" fans?