Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Couple ?'s

1st off. Oil pump High Volume or Not?
I see some people running hv oil pump, also have heard of them sucking the oil pan dry. I'll be running the stock oil pan. So would this be a good Idea or do I stick with a melling standard volume oil pump with GM White Spring?

Also where would be the best plave to drill/tap/weld oil pan for oil line to turbo?

Lastly I have had my cam in for a while here are the specs let me know what you think.

Duration 217/219
Lift 546/549
114 lsa
1.6rr's specs
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Get a normal volume pump with the white sprint for a stock pan. I run one with my 7qt pan too. Pay a bit extra for the blueprinted one if you think its worth it. You will have PLENTY of oil for the system like this.

Most tap at the front corner of the pan - I know there is a post somewhere with pics. This gives you enough room to clear the main caps on the inside and be as far away as possible from the majority of oil down in the back of the pan.

Cam looks ok to me - Without knowin the rest of the motor and goals can't say much. Will peak low. I say cam the motor for how you want to drive the car - and add however much boost is needed to make your power. I have a 218/224 on a 112 and think its too small.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:50 PM

More info on 'blueprinted' pumps please.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Damn Machine work is going to kill me... Just got off with the machine shop (taking my block tomorrow) but check out these prices. Think they are ok?

Total Seal Rings (forgot to get *doh*) $200.00
"Zero" Balanced and Blueprinted $200.00
Line Bore and Honed $250.00 +
1/4 Fill with Block Rok $60.00 for material $75.00 Labor
Assembly Crank/Rods/Pistons/Cam $200.00

Grand Total: $985.00 +
Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 PM

I'm not sold on total seal rings yet...

I've never purchased a printed pump - seen them somewhere for like 4x the normal cost of a pump. They take a new pump that comes out of an oil pump making machine and go through it with a fine tooth comb to check tolerances etc. Kind of like out of the box heads versus more worked heads I guess?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Go with a stock type/volume pump. Not only do the HV have a tendency to drain the pan, they are also harder on the cam driven oil pump drive gear. I lost a motor in 2003 due to the teeth being shorn off. It's speculation but I've seen a ton of those shorn gears in the local speed shops engine parts shelves.

What's your HP goal? Unless it's way up there, I would forego the block fill. I bought Diamond forged pistons and told him I wanted Hellfire rings. He talked me out of them and said for my app, I'd be better off with the Total Seal AP series rings.
My cam is close to yours. Mine has a bit more duration on both I and E. Using my 1.6 CC Pro Mags my lift has about .020 more lift on both I/E too. My LSA is 112.5.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM

I'm hoping for anything near 600 to the wheels. I know I will probably come up short but I think it can be done when I accumulate funds to P&P the 62cc TFS heads I have. But that will have to wait till sometime next year. Right now I just want to drive the thing. It's been literally forever since I have parked the car.

DirtyDaveW I've been following yours and 1982z28with18s car for a long time. It was nice to see your update on LTX. As a matter of fact I have 1982z28with18s Log hotparts from RealQuick.

I have seen plenty of boosted guy doing 1/4-1/2 fills on there block with no problems driving/cruising around town. I'm just taking all measures to make this thing last. Tunning is what scares me but I'll be talking to Bryan so he can send me a .lt1 file and go from the. I know nothing about LT1 Edit but everything is a learning process. But I wont go at it alone. There is one somewhat local guy that knows. I also have my trusty/knowledgeable cz28 members.

Bottom Line is... I want a fast street car that is CAPABLE of Mid 10's or better. Besides what I really want to do is wax the **** out of a local guy that thinks LT1's cant make power. I don't know about you but I'm a diehard LT1 guy. I could ave easly bought an LS1 with all the parts I have bought and sold. But I like being the under dog.

Last edited by BLWNLT1; 09-25-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Sure sounds like a fun car project
Depending on your boost level, I see you getting the 600 rwhp pretty easily.
On the underdog/non-LS1 guy, HIGH FIVE!
I'm there right beside you on this. It's part of the fun to tell the truth. Watching the sunken faces and spirits of the LSx worshippers as they see my taillights is just flat intoxicating to me! I can't get enough of it. Hahaha..

Originally Posted by BLWNLT1
I'm hoping for anything near 600 to the wheels. I know I will probably come up short but I think it can be done when I accumulate funds to P&P the 62cc TFS heads I have. But that will have to wait till sometime next year. Right now I just want to drive the thing. It's been literally forever since I have parked the car.

DirtyDaveW I've been following yours and 1982z28with18s car for a long time. It was nice to see your update on LTX. As a matter of fact I have 1982z28with18s Log hotparts from RealQuick.

I have seen plenty of boosted guy doing 1/4-1/2 fills on there block with no problems driving/cruising around town. I'm just taking all measures to make this thing last. Tunning is what scares me but I'll be talking to Bryan so he can send me a .lt1 file and go from the. I know nothing about LT1 Edit but everything is a learning process. But I wont go at it alone. There is one somewhat local guy that knows. I also have my trusty/knowledgeable cz28 members.

Bottom Line is... I want a fast street car that is CAPABLE of Mid 10's or better. Besides what I really want to do is wax the **** out of a local guy that thinks LT1's cant make power. I don't know about you but I'm a diehard LT1 guy. I could ave easly bought an LS1 with all the parts I have bought and sold. But I like being the under dog.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Watching the sunken faces and spirits of the LSx worshipers as they see my taillights is just flat intoxicating to me! I can't get enough of it. Hahaha..
Cant wait

It will be like
I got this
Ohh Sh*t
Wtf?
It's an LT1?

Probably a little over dramatic, but unexpected to say the least.

P.S. I still want to see pics of your 8.8 Rearend setup
Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Not mine but mine is EXACTLY like this..
Rusty-

Painted-

Cant wait

It will be like
I got this
Ohh Sh*t
Wtf?
It's an LT1?

Probably a little over dramatic, but unexpected to say the least.

P.S. I still want to see pics of your 8.8 Rearend setup
Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 PM

Well I get my block back i two weeks. Starting to get butterflies in my tummy. I've still got alot to do. But I'm one step closer than I was when I started.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM

WoooHoo! Sounds like a great winter project. It'll be ready to kill by Spring

Well I get my block back i two weeks. Starting to get butterflies in my tummy. I've still got alot to do. But I'm one step closer than I was when I started.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:16 PM

Well it was a lot more than expected. I pick up my block this Saturday and I'll be sure to get a full print out before I fork over 1,8xx.xx bucks. Damn I had to dig into my transmission and rearend fund . But then again I'm still excited.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Wow this has been going on for a while. I have since acquired some trick-flow 62cc heads. These will be used as is (off the self) until funds will allow to get them CNC'd... I have gotten my short block back (1800 bucks later)... Damn near everything has been done to this block hence the cost. I'm glad it already had the splayed mains. All this money and a car that's not on the road??? WTF? It will get done sooner or later. Just hardly have anytime with the 2nd job I picked up. ..

It takes time and a lot of money and I'm in no rush
Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Where do I get Felpro 1074 head Gaskets. These idiots around here look at me like I'm making up ****. Also machinist told me that I must use a 4.040 bore head gasket. What size is the 1074?

Quick Reply: Couple ?'s