Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Cooling an Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:03 PM

Cooling an Intercooler

Anyone have any positive results running nitrous through the outside of the intercooler to drop the temp even further?

Also, where can I find a ring to fit a 29"x12" air-to-air and how much juice would I need to cool it down enough to see good results?

Thanks guys
Old 05-13-2004, 12:29 AM

NOS will work good but water works ok for cheaper. You could spray water on the IC and actually right into the intake manifold too as a mist. Running NOS would cool an intake charge too and make good power so why waste it spraying it on the outside of an IC? Making some kind of storage tray on top of your IC for dry ice might also be an option to consider but wouldn't help as much as water or nos spraying.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:32 AM

Re: Cooling an Intercooler

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Anyone have any positive results running nitrous through the outside of the intercooler to drop the temp even further?

Also, where can I find a ring to fit a 29"x12" air-to-air and how much juice would I need to cool it down enough to see good results?

Thanks guys
Why waste the n20 on the i/c when you could spray it in the intake tract ir the t/b.

http://www.rivercityf-bodies.com/for...=&postid=25454

You mught have to sign in to see it.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:11 AM

Could also just get liquid CO2 and spray that on the intercooler's outer surface. It's cheaper then nitrous and easier to get.

Or you could spray nitrous in the inlet, or even water. Or you could spray alcy in the intake. It's all a matter of what you want to do. Spraying anything in the actual intake usually means a little more tuning. I'd say water is fine in the intake tract, but water doesnt burn, where alcy does. You could add more fuel and spray nitrous...

But personally I dont want to have a tank of an oxidizer under high pressure if I didnt have to for safety's sake. You can use liquid CO2 and it's not as dangerous, or just fill your washer bottle (or some other tank) with alcy and get a pump. There are a million ways to do it, and no matter what you do, take pictures, post them on the forums and give it a review
Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 PM

I'm just looking for a way to further cool the intake charge. I figured that since nitrous comes out of the bottle extremely cold, it could be used to remove any heat soak from the intercooler. But liquid C02 might be a better option if it's just as cold and cheaper.

Hey MeanLT1, did you ever buy that intercooler off Ebay for your Camaro?
Old 05-14-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
I'm just looking for a way to further cool the intake charge. I figured that since nitrous comes out of the bottle extremely cold, it could be used to remove any heat soak from the intercooler. But liquid C02 might be a better option if it's just as cold and cheaper.

Hey MeanLT1, did you ever buy that intercooler off Ebay for your Camaro?
You have mail
Old 05-14-2004, 09:23 AM

DEI makes a kit specificly for something like this, check this out http://www.mini-madness.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=129 this is some of the stuff they make.....
this place sells them, there looks like there is two sizes, It is wired and used much like injecting N2O into the engine but cools the outside of the aintercooler instead.... http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....CategoryID/111
hope that helps....