Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

cam, comp for supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 07:05 PM

cam, comp for supercharger

I am planning on building a 383 stroker with a 6 PSI powerdyne supercharger. I currently have a cc306 on a 112 LSA. What type of cam do I need for the new blown set up? Also what compression am I going to need...I dont plan on boosting more than 6 PSI and I plan on running pump gas. I know this question has been asked a number of times before but I cant seam to put my finger on what I need. I would also like a suggestion on what type of heads to get. There is a local shop near my house who can "supposdly" make same bad *** flowing heads, So i was thinkin of going that route. everything in the bottom is going to be forged. so if someone could please tell me a good cam, heads, and compression rate to use I would reallty appericate it.

thanks
matt
Old 01-09-2004, 07:22 PM

Re: cam, comp for supercharger

Originally posted by lillbush5555
I am planning on building a 383 stroker with a 6 PSI powerdyne supercharger. I currently have a cc306 on a 112 LSA. What type of cam do I need for the new blown set up? Also what compression am I going to need...I dont plan on boosting more than 6 PSI and I plan on running pump gas. I know this question has been asked a number of times before but I cant seam to put my finger on what I need. I would also like a suggestion on what type of heads to get. There is a local shop near my house who can "supposdly" make same bad *** flowing heads, So i was thinkin of going that route. everything in the bottom is going to be forged. so if someone could please tell me a good cam, heads, and compression rate to use I would reallty appericate it.

thanks
matt
Hmm, a 6psi powerdyne for a fully forged bottom end 383. I woulndt waste my time on a powerdyne especially at 6psi. you'll be lucky to see 4psi and then add some good flowing heads and ou might see 2psi. As far as cams go, it depends on how streetable you want it too be and what the cr will be used for but first i would recomend a ATI or a Vortech blower for your needs.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:06 PM

Powerdyne isnt very good? I want the car to be some what streetable I mean I am thinking of buying a beater cuz I know I cant drive this everyday. As far as a blower can someone show mw some pixs of them on your car or something? What kinda power do they make? What do they cost?

thanks
matt
Old 01-09-2004, 11:19 PM

What's wrong with driving that car everyday? I drive my car everyday (although I drive very carefully when it rains).
Old 01-10-2004, 08:22 AM
LWM

Powerdyne isnt very good? I want the car to be some what streetable I mean I am thinking of buying a beater cuz I know I cant drive this everyday. As far as a blower can someone show mw some pixs of them on your car or something? What kinda power do they make? What do they cost?

thanks
matt
http://www3.telus.net/public/mackenz...oEnginebay.jpg
The supercharger is in their ... somewhere ... it's actually in front of the engine down low ... not visible in the picture.

And what MEAN LT1 said ... go Vortech, an S-trim will make 7 - 9 psi of boost on a 383 depending on cam and rpm.

I see 8 psi with an S-trim and a 224/236 lsa 114 cam.

Hope this helps

LWM

Last edited by LWM; 01-10-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:58 AM

what am I looking to spend on a vortec with S trim? And where is the best place to get 1?

thanks
matt
Old 01-10-2004, 12:50 PM

Since you live in the south I would get an intercooler/aftercooler too. There is a LT1 vortech kit auction on ebay, I think there is also a aftercooler kit on there too but I dont think its complete. OR you could go to tbyrne and get a complete S-trim/aftercooler. ATI P1SC may be another choice for a little less money
Old 01-10-2004, 12:52 PM

I don't have time for a long post right now, but you need to keep in mind that cam choice and desired CR are inter-related. A "bigger" cam will have a later intake closing event. This lowers dynamic compression and requires more static compression to compensate. Vice versa with a "small" cam, which will have an earlier intake valve closing event.

In very general terms though, for a high boost setup to run on pump gas you want to get the CR as low as practical. I am very satisified with my current setup, which is ~8:1 static. However, I am running 17psi. If you are planning on using a 600B you are going to look at ~9:1 or a bit less, depending on cam choice. The thing is, with LT1 heads the small combustion chamber means that with the commonly available piston choices you won't be much lower than ~9:1 anyway. Roughly, a 31cc reverse dome piston would give 9:1 on a 383 with a 56cc chamber.

More to follow, depending how the thread goes.

Rich Krause
Old 01-11-2004, 09:09 PM

anybody ever deal with the procharger systems? I was looking on tbyrnemotorsports and they seam to have some pretty good deals on them. I have also decided to use stock heads and port them. What compression ratio should I be using now? What pistions do I need?

thanks
matt

BTW: Rich U have mail

Last edited by lillbush5555; 01-11-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:48 AM

While you are figuring out which combo to go with make sure you answer one thing first. What are your goals for the car? Daily driver? Fri/Sat track car? Automatic or 6-speed? Budget? Be realistic and make choices based on the final outcome that you have in mind. Lots of approaches to think about since everyone has a different goal and can tolerate different "issues" with their car. Driving a 6-speed in heavy traffic with a motor that doesn't like to idle isn't my idea of fun.

Choose wisely and have a great time. More than 6 pounds of boost anywhere in future and you need to go with Vortech or ATI.

Later ... Larry S.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:19 PM

yea, what are your goals for the setup.

the cam i have for my blower setup is a custom grind from comp. somewhat like a CC305 with just a smidge more lift, a few degrees less duration.

with forced induction you want to steer away from valve overlap. so think lift and not duration.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by MislMan
While you are figuring out which combo to go with make sure you answer one thing first. What are your goals for the car? Daily driver? Fri/Sat track car? Automatic or 6-speed? Budget? Be realistic and make choices based on the final outcome that you have in mind. Lots of approaches to think about since everyone has a different goal and can tolerate different "issues" with their car. Driving a 6-speed in heavy traffic with a motor that doesn't like to idle isn't my idea of fun.

Choose wisely and have a great time. More than 6 pounds of boost anywhere in future and you need to go with Vortech or ATI.

Later ... Larry S.
Agreed......answer those questions and we'll be able to help you.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:46 PM

well Like I said I am planing on buying a beater to drive to and from work...My job isnt but 5 mins down the road. budget wise Im looking to spend around 6-6500. It is a 6 speed. Goals im looking to make around 5 to the wheels. I dont really want a ton but I want it there when I need it. I have consirded N20 But I had it and I am a bottle baby. The bottle was empty after the 20 mins driving around town . I was recommended this cam buy rich 224/236. I belive I am going to go with him on this 1 and also get -31CC pistions. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

thanks
matt
Old 01-16-2004, 12:03 PM

well Like I said I am planing on buying a beater to drive to and from work...My job isnt but 5 mins down the road. budget wise Im looking to spend around 6-6500. It is a 6 speed. Goals im looking to make around 5 to the wheels. I dont really want a ton but I want it there when I need it. I have consirded N20 But I had it and I am a bottle baby. The bottle was empty after the 20 mins driving around town . I was recommended this cam buy rich 224/236. I belive I am going to go with him on this 1 and also get -31CC pistions. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

thanks
matt
Sounds good to me, Might also want to upgrade your rods as well and get some arp bolts to go with it. As far as compression goes, at the the power level your wanting. 9.2:1 should be fine .
Old 01-16-2004, 12:16 PM

I have a ATI P1SC blower that I got from Lonnie Pavtis at www.westol.com/lpavtis

I am running a 383 with about 9:1 compression with 10 psi of boost on Completely stock heads, a cc305 cam and a fount mounted 2core IC..click sig for more details. I will know for sure how much power my car will make in Feb when I get it Dyno tuned...

My Blower does leak some oil but it has been doing so for almost 45K and still works great.

As for driveability goes, I drive my car Everyday....600 Miles WEEKLY without any issues....The only time I leave it home is when there is more than 2 inches of snow on the ground or if there is ice but rain or shine, I take it to work and wherever....

Life with a Blown 383 EVERYDAY F-body is Bliss!

Thx,
Claude

Quick Reply: cam, comp for supercharger