Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

bypass to blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:01 PM

bypass to blow off valve

is it possible to convert your bypass valve into a blow off valve. i have an ati procharger d-1sc and was wondering if that is possible?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 90-irocdx3
is it possible to convert your bypass valve into a blow off valve. i have an ati procharger d-1sc and was wondering if that is possible?

No, it is not possible. You will not want to do it, even if it were. Blow off valves are designed to work with turbos, which are not moving a substantial amount of air when not spooled (idle, part throttle cruising). A blow off valve is normally closed, and only opens when you shut the throttle and there is a boost spike. You need to run a bypass valve on a supercharged application becasue the blower is always moving lots of air, and it needs to have a place to go. A by pass valve is open under any vacuum condition, allowing un-needed air to escape, rather than surging the blower (trying to exit out the inlet, which can cause damage).

Many people have tried to run BOV's on supercharged applications, and most have experienced very poor driveability and broken parts. If you search on LS1Tech, there's a thread related to this one where several people (well known people on that board) have tried it and ended up going back to a surge valve.

Hopefully my rambling made some sense!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 PM

thanks for all the advice, my blower is brand new havent even driven my car yet. i was just hoping that blow off sound of a bypass valve,but it is obvisouly not worth it.