Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Boosting an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Boosting an LS1

To start, I'm very familiar with turbo applications.

Forced induction on an LS1 however is new to me.

I originally planned on going mild-cam/minor head work but I'd rather go boosted.

I've been looking at STS kits primarily and think they're the way to go after reading/hearing all the feedback. I'll be going with their base kit which doesn't bother with an intercooler though I might add meth-injection later down the road.

On their base kit which recommends 5psi, would or should I bother with forged internals? If so, I might as well go with their bigger/badder kit but I'm not looking to hit 9's at the track. Plus I still need to budget for; transmission rebuild/work, stall, suspension.

Also, I saw STS' pic of their system but I didn't see any exhaust components. How much of a custom exhaust will I need? I ask because I've got new-in-box Pacesetter long tube headers and I'm not sure I could use them in the future. If that's the case, I'll sell them right away (Long tubes for a '98, comes with all hardware and o2 sensor extensions).

I've got a tuner I can go to for my tuning needs however I'm able to do the same work myself. I tuned my last car using a Diablosport Predator Tuner hooked up to my netbook (handheld alone isn't good for tuning, use a laptop/netbook!). Only familiar with Innovative LC-1 and AEM UEGO air/fuel gauges/egt gauges, not sure what you forced induction LS1 guys use.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:12 AM

Re: Boosting an LS1

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/

I think you'll be safe with 5 psi.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM

It should fine with 5 psi but are you sure you are going to want to stay at that level? I wouldn't doubt it if you get bored with it and want to up the boost some, if that's the case why not build a low compression forged setup from the beginning. It all depends on your goal and budget. You said you are going to budget for a transmission rebuild but don't forget about the rear end as in I think that will grenade before the tranny if you give it hard launches.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by raulz28
It should fine with 5 psi but are you sure you are going to want to stay at that level? I wouldn't doubt it if you get bored with it and want to up the boost some, if that's the case why not build a low compression forged setup from the beginning. It all depends on your goal and budget. You said you are going to budget for a transmission rebuild but don't forget about the rear end as in I think that will grenade before the tranny if you give it hard launches.
Good point!

I'm fine with the LS1 being N/A already as it is...I've driven/owned faster but I don't need faster at this point (meaning I don't need to see 10psi-15psi, meth injection)

Damn, I'll need a good rear end then too.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 AM

If you feel like getting a little more involved you could always add a set of 317 heads. They are basically Z06 heads with larger chambers and cheaper valves. The really nice thing is you can get them really cheap if you look; I bought a set for $140 from a local guy.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM

If you want to keep things on the cheep side, you can't beat the power of a good H/C/I on an LS1 (thats what I did on my Formula in my sig).

If you insist on going the boosted route, I would say that the STS would be my LAST choice to do so, as the single mount turbo's are WAY more efficient, and capable, or even a good supercharger would still be better.

Then if you do go boosted, and only running 5psi, it will depend on how much you plan on getting in the boost. You may think it might not happen that often, but trust me, boost is addictive, and it will most likely happen more than you are planning. Then, it comes down to how much you drive it. If you plan on taking the car out more than 1-2 times per month, I would say go the forged internal route just so you know you will be safe. Even though it will probably last for a while without the forged internals, it still is going to be creating wear on non-forged internals and a high CR (bad combo for a FI setup). Going forged allows you to keep on going safely without having to worry about doing damage to the engine.