Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

ATI Super Damper Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 PM

ATI Super Damper Worth It?

Right now I'm in the middle of building my first motor. I bought the block from someone and it came with the ATI damper / hub kit. The parts are picture below...I think it's complete but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find any pictures of it installed on a FI car. I the D1SC kit installed on my other motor but it ran with the stock hub/balancer.

I've done some reading about getting this particular part to work with my supercharger setup (D1SC). It sounds like it won't line up properly and the bolt holes are too small to accept the supercharger crank pulley. Is this correct? How many of you FI guys run this setup on your cars and is it worth going through the trouble of installing it?

Also, can someone tell me how the parts go? I'm not sure it maybe the goldish pulley piece pictured is extra? I know the keyed hub goes on the end of the crank snout...but then would I just bolt the black ATI dampener to that followed by the blower crank pulley?

Name:  DSC01364.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  141.5 KB
Name:  DSC01365.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  145.7 KB
Name:  DSC01366.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  140.6 KB
Name:  DSC01367.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  98.2 KB
Name:  DSC01368.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  133.0 KB

Thanks
Old 06-14-2008, 10:27 PM

It goes like this. Hub and Damper get connected by those six allen bolts. They should be torqued and blue locktited. Install damper and hub on crankshaft. Torque the crankshaft bolt. Spacer goes flush on face of damper then Procharger pulley and spacer are bolted down with the three long bolts and washers.

I've never seen a gold spacer like that. Are you sure that is the right one? Where did it come from?

My spacer had to be custom made by SDCE from solid aluminum that was turned on a lathe. It makes the procharger pulley hubcentric to the ATI damper. It spaces the procharger pulley away from the damper about 1-1.5 inches.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 06-14-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:19 AM

I have no idea where the gold spacer came from. It was given to me with the damper when I bought the block a long time ago. I'll try to track down the person I bought it from and ask.

Does SDCE have the spacer as a standard part or would I have to call and get a one-off one made?
Do you have a picture of your spacer?

One more question about the crank bolt. I have the callies racemaster crank, and it seems that the stock crank bolt is too small. Does anyone know what size bolt it is? Should it be the same?

Thanks guys
Old 06-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Violat0rX
I have no idea where the gold spacer came from. It was given to me with the damper when I bought the block a long time ago. I'll try to track down the person I bought it from and ask.

Does SDCE have the spacer as a standard part or would I have to call and get a one-off one made?
Do you have a picture of your spacer?

One more question about the crank bolt. I have the callies racemaster crank, and it seems that the stock crank bolt is too small. Does anyone know what size bolt it is? Should it be the same?

Thanks guys

Sorry, I don't have any pictures handy. SDCE will know what the dimensions are. Or you can get the dimensions from Lonnies Performance. Its a must have because it greatly reduces wobble on the procharger pulley and takes all the stress off the bolts. My SDCE spacer is designed so it will work with an ATI damper or a stock damper. Don't know about the Callies crankbolt.