Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Any F.I. guys using the Impala SS stainless shim head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Any F.I. guys using the Impala SS stainless shim head gasket?

I know most of us are going in the opposite direction, trying to get a thicker gasket but my setup was spec'd for 8.8 static compression with stock 54cc heads. I now have Canfield heads that I'm pretty sure are 64cc so with all else being equal that puts me at 8.1 static compression. I've just bought some TFS 23 degree heads (thanks Realquick!) and they are inroute to Lloyd Elliot for the full 2.08/1.60 ported heads/intake treatment. They too are more generous in their chambers than the stockers 54cc so in addition to some milling, Lloyd recommended a Cometic .036 (compressed) gasket to get me closer to the orginal spec. I've used the SS Impala shim head gasket on 3 motors (nitrous and N/A) and they held fine. Just wondering if you guys had any experience (or theories) about using such a thin (.029 compressed height) gasket on a turbo or supercharger app.
Thanks,
Dave
PS: I'll either be sending the Canfields to Lloyd for porting or selling them as is.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM

Re: Any F.I. guys using the Impala SS stainless shim head gasket?

I don't see why it would matter, the Cometics just have a thin inner and outer sheet and a middle piece that sets the thickness. I used the Cometics, though, and I went through the pain in the *** procedure of retorquing them after initial startup and cool down. I'm not sure of the suitability of the Impala gasket since it was an iron head engine, but your experience with using them on nitrous says something. My best advice is to just be careful with prep and torquing as I'm sure you are when you build an engine.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM

I would just use the .039 felpros (1079's?) and have Lloyd mill the TFS heads to the correct CC.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Lloyd indicated he could only mill them to 58cc and to then use the cometics to get back to around 54cc or at least closer.

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I would just use the .039 felpros (1079's?) and have Lloyd mill the TFS heads to the correct CC.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 PM

I would just use the felpros
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Bringing this back up... Dave I am in the same bought. I have 65cc AFR's that Lloyd said he could probably only get down to 58-60cc. I would like thinner gaskets then the Felpro .039's. I have been thinking about the impala ones as well.

Anyone think using them with boost can lead to trouble?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM

You may have to be a pioneer Jon
Lloyd ultimately only got my TFS down to 61 cc. I'm using the Felpro 1074's per Lloyds recommendation. I asked him specifically about the Impalas vs Cometics vs FP 1074 and, given that I won't have pristine block surface(just replacing the heads w/motor in the car) he only recommended the FP1074.

Update on mine, I finally found a local machinist to fabricate a bushing so I could use the CompCam composite distributor/oil pump drive gear. That's an expensive upgrade.
1. New Drive gear/shaft = $46 plus shipping
2. CompCams composite gear = $9x.xx
3. Machinists work to machine bushing and install it = $118.

Oh well, this should keep me from having to replace the bronze gear every year.

The weather is looking better and better. I hope to do the heads/intake swap in the next few weeks

Jon, how's your project car coming along? Have an ETA?

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Bringing this back up... Dave I am in the same bought. I have 65cc AFR's that Lloyd said he could probably only get down to 58-60cc. I would like thinner gaskets then the Felpro .039's. I have been thinking about the impala ones as well.

Anyone think using them with boost can lead to trouble?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
You may have to be a pioneer Jon
Lloyd ultimately only got my TFS down to 61 cc. I'm using the Felpro 1074's per Lloyds recommendation. I asked him specifically about the Impalas vs Cometics vs FP 1074 and, given that I won't have pristine block surface(just replacing the heads w/motor in the car) he only recommended the FP1074.

Update on mine, I finally found a local machinist to fabricate a bushing so I could use the CompCam composite distributor/oil pump drive gear. That's an expensive upgrade.
1. New Drive gear/shaft = $46 plus shipping
2. CompCams composite gear = $9x.xx
3. Machinists work to machine bushing and install it = $118.

Oh well, this should keep me from having to replace the bronze gear every year.

The weather is looking better and better. I hope to do the heads/intake swap in the next few weeks

Jon, how's your project car coming along? Have an ETA?
You'll be up and running before me. Moving into a new house in April, so my time to work on the car will be limited. I still need to have Lloyd port my LT4 intake and mill my AFR heads.

Things I need to do still:

Test fit new hotside
Fab cold side
Install top end
Install Classic FAST with Plug N PLay harness
Install dual walbros, 80# injectors, and Aeromotoive fuel pressure regulator
Connect catback to downpipe
Wire in WB gauge

too much to list really.