Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

383 LT4/LT1 Single Turbo Setup-Fuel pump and Injector Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM

383 LT4/LT1 Single Turbo Setup-Fuel pump and Injector Suggestions??

I am looking for suggestions for on what I need to change on my fuel system to make sure my fuel delivery is correct now that the engine will be boosted. Currently I still have the stock fuel pump and injectors. I came across a turbo setup that I couldn't pass up. I will be running a single T4 70mm Turbo and am looking for suggestions on what fuel pump and injectors to run for the best results with my setup. The engine has been build mods are below. Thanks in advance for the help!

383 Stroker
Eagle Rotating Assembly -Eagle B12011030
LT4 Hotcam - 12480002
LT4 Heads- Part Number: 12363287
Elderbrock High Flow Intake Manifold
M6 Transmission Build by Texas Drivetrain Performance. Good to 600-650 rwhp

Last edited by dmac1968; 09-09-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:55 PM

Re: 383 LT4/LT1 Single Turbo Setup-Fuel pump and Injector Suggestions??

You can upgrade to a larger single fuel pump (look at Racetronix.com) and add a Boost-a-pump (which increases voltage to the pump under boost) or go with a dual pump setup. This is where I got my dual pump set up:

Lonnies Performance Automotive ---- Main Index

Here is a good injector calculator which should give you an idea on injector size:

http://www.andysautosport.com/learni...r/calculators/
Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 PM

Thank you for the information! I am hoping to make 650 hp if possible. I planned to run a walbro 255 single with 60 # injectors. If I run a slightly larger injector I should be able to have it tuned to run at a lower capacity correct? I plan to go bigger at some point but want to get the car running for now.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Administrator

You have to base injector size on flywheel HP, not rwHP. Based on measurements I made with my setup on an engine dyno (flywheel HP) and then installed in the car, on a chassis dyno (rwHP), I calculated a bit less than 13% drivetrain loss, through a T56, steel flywheel street twin, 3" chrome moly driveshaft, 12-bolt w/ 3.73 gears, and street tires. That was while making 762 HP at the flywheel. Drivetrain loss percentage through a manual trans increases slightly as HP drops.

Using 13% drivetrain loss, you need about 750 flywheel hp to make 650 rwHP. You have to size the injectors based on 750 HP.

No problem using a larger injector than the minimum you need. As long as the tuner programs the correct injector flow rate and offsets, whatever ECU you are using will calculate the correct pulse widths to supply the correct amount of fuel.

What ECU are you planning on running - stock or aftermarket? Are you thinking of high impedance or low impedance injectors? Will you be using water/methanol injection?

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-10-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You have to base injector size on flywheel HP, not rwHP. Based on measurements I made with my setup on an engine dyno (flywheel HP) and then installed in the car, on a chassis dyno (rwHP), I calculated a bit less than 13% drivetrain loss, through a T56, steel flywheel street twin, 3" chrome moly driveshaft, 12-bolt w/ 3.73 gears, and street tires. That was while making 762 HP at the flywheel. Drivetrain loss percentage through a manual trans increases slightly as HP drops.

Using 13% drivetrain loss, you need about 750 flywheel hp to make 650 rwHP. You have to size the injectors based on 750 HP.

No problem using a larger injector than the minimum you need. As long as the tuner programs the correct injector flow rate and offsets, whatever ECU you are using will calculate the correct pulse widths to supply the correct amount of fuel

What ECU are you planning on running - stock or aftermarket? Are you thinking of high impedance or low impedance injectors? Will you be using water/methanol injection?
Thanks for the Info! I am running my stock ECM it is OBD-1 because I am swapping my built drivetrain from a 1994 Z28. I dont plan on using water/methanol injection. I have heard mixed reviews on the high and low impedance injectors. What are your suggestions? Will my ECM even allow me to do one or the other ?