Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

348ci LS1 + YS Trim = 705rwhp!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:51 AM

348ci LS1 + YS Trim = 705rwhp!!!!!

I don't even know how to start off this thread, that's a first.

Last night Intmd8 (Jim M.), who is the tuner at Speed Inc. (www.ls1speed.com) was able to dyno my car for the third time... and the results were awesome:

705rwhp!

Let me do a quick recap of the car's setup and the results from the last three dyno sessions:

98 Formula
9.1:1 LS6 block, 6.0 Heads, Engine built by Speed Inc.
FMS 230/236//115//+2 cam (Cam Motion)
Diamond Pistons
Eagle 6.125 rods
Stock 5.7 crankshaft
3.905 bore LS6 crate block
6.0 heads, 69CC chambers
MLS 6.0 head gaskets
Stock waterpump
Bauer Stock ported TB
Stock ported oil pump
Y/T 1.7 rockers
Comp R Lifters
Dual timing chain
Stock LS1 MAF, descreened
LS6 Intake
ARP main studs
Dave White Head studs
Griffin frontmount air/air intercooler
Vortech YS Trim
8 rib pulley setup
Custom blower brackets, tensioner, piping by SS Racing
FAST bank to bank ECU; Cartek crank signal box; LS1 Edit
Kooks 1.875>2.000 step headers, 3.5 collectors
Kooks 3.5 >3 X pipe with ATR mufflers, dumped
Turbo 400 transmission, non lockup
Yank U4000 nine inch converter
Moser nine inch rearend, 4.11 gears
Short belt, no power steering
Hooser 28x10.5x15 slicks
Mixture of VP C12 and 93 Octane
Weldon 2025 external fuel pump
Weldon regulator
Speed Inc. drag gas tank
SS Racing fuel rails

Engine, built and installed by Dan and Jim @ Speed Inc.
Dual Exhaust installed by Speed Inc.
Custom blower brackets, tensioner, and piping built and installed by Chris and Kurt Sikora @ SS Racing
FAST system purchased from Cartek, overall car has been tuned by Jim @ Speed Inc. with major input from Cartek, SS Racing and Bob Kurgan
Vortech supercharger setup designed, installed, and revised by Chris @ SS Racing and Bob Kurgan (pulley choices, location of blower, etc.)
FAST install, fuel system, custom wiring, overall engineering by Chris and Kurt Sikora @ SS Racing (www.ssracing.net)
Griffin intercooler designed by Jimmy Burns with Griffin Thermal Products
Overall package devised by me, Chris @ SS Racing, Bob Kurgan (engine displacement, blower choice, header sizes, selection of FAST system, fuel system., etc)
Thanks to John and Ricky @ Vortech Superchargers for sponsoring the project and providing support doing the project buildup

A few dyno comments:

Dyno #1
-450rwhp
-6 psi
-Slipping blower belt
-Electrical anomaly noted when datalogging

Dyno #2
-560rwhp
-14 psi
-Overly large torque converter, the old one flashed to 6900 during the pulls
-Some belt slippage noted
-Electrical anomaly largely gone

Dyno #3
-705rwhp
-Roughly 17 psi
-23 degrees of timing at WOT
-New Yank U4000 converter installed
-Belt was tightened, early pull was 666rwhp with slippage
-Pulled to 6700

Jim is planning to dyno the car one more time in the near future to play with the tune some more and to do some more formal testing of the Griffin intercooler. But Jim told me last night that he was very impressed with this intercooler.

If we were to assume that the drivetrain loss through the Moser nine inch rearend and the non lockup turbo 400 transmission was ~20%, that means the engine is producing 840fwhp.

I did not sleep at all last night I was so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks and continued thanks to all the folks who have helped this project come together!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Pro Stock John; 01-15-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

Man, I know the trials and tribulations you've been through the last couple years so big congrats man. That lil' motor is making some power and I know its not done. Good luck and I look forward to seeing it run
Old 01-15-2004, 11:11 AM

Congrats on finally dialing in the new motor. I know it been a long time for you but it looks like everything is looking up. Its sueprising that your not having some of the belt issues like bigbose and some of the other guys are having.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:22 AM

Damn, I may have to swap my LT1 for an LSx one of these days!

Congrats.

Rich Krause
Old 01-15-2004, 11:22 AM

Awesome results!
But I must ask, with all the belt slippage, why no cog setup?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:48 AM

Damn....Thats impressive!!
Please keep us updated on your progess.

Claude
Old 01-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Mean, we've been tightening the belt all along. I might be putting a new belt on the car every time I go the track, we'll see. I'll measure belt stretch.

I don't have cogs, but you never know if we do them in 2004.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:02 PM

im happy for ya dude, been waiting to see the outcome of that thing for quite a while now!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Pro Stock John
Mean, we've been tightening the belt all along. I might be putting a new belt on the car every time I go the track, we'll see. I'll measure belt stretch.

I don't have cogs, but you never know if we do them in 2004.
Nice power You YS guys always run the big boost.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:54 PM

Your posting all over hey?
Congrats again john. now run it!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:38 PM

17psi is not that big of a boost... If I recall from one of your other posts you use 104 always right?

Love your setup... I hope that with my new heads I can reach 625 with pump gas....

705 is definetely HUGE POWER! w/o juice (sorry Richard!!!)

im curious though,not trying to bash or anything similar, about power/psi. You seem to be gaining 23hp/psi... I always thought those engines gained about 30rwhp/psi boost, since the heads are a lightyear ahead of the lt1.

Congrats on your achievement... I have been a pu$$y with the decision of putting up a YS-trim in my car... I fear it will break as LJ did and some others have done... I mean the YS-trim is a MONSTER... So I want to step up to the T-trim and stay there on pump gas....

Does it spool fast? at what rpm do you get boost? My other fear is if at the boost level it will be on pump gas (10psi on that monster) if it will be a viable solution for the street.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:27 PM

John - congrats! Welcome to the YS Trim fan club...
Old 01-16-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by The Highlander
17psi is not that big of a boost... If I recall from one of your other posts you use 104 always right?

Love your setup... I hope that with my new heads I can reach 625 with pump gas....

705 is definetely HUGE POWER! w/o juice (sorry Richard!!!)

im curious though,not trying to bash or anything similar, about power/psi. You seem to be gaining 23hp/psi... I always thought those engines gained about 30rwhp/psi boost, since the heads are a lightyear ahead of the lt1.

Congrats on your achievement... I have been a pu$$y with the decision of putting up a YS-trim in my car... I fear it will break as LJ did and some others have done... I mean the YS-trim is a MONSTER... So I want to step up to the T-trim and stay there on pump gas....

Does it spool fast? at what rpm do you get boost? My other fear is if at the boost level it will be on pump gas (10psi on that monster) if it will be a viable solution for the street.

PSJ and I talked back about a month ago and he stated the F1 guys are running more boost then YS trim guys and making less power. All I can get out of my setup is 14lbs. Hopefully with the SPearco intercooler I will be able to make more boost.

30 rwhp per lb boost seems like alot. Where are you getting those numbers?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:13 AM

>>>Been using C12 + some 93 octane, C12 is 108 leaded MOTOR octane, and leaded gas is not the same as unleaded

>>>I think 625rwhp with pump gas with the right combo is very doable

>>>I have not seen any data to support making generalizations regarding hpsi ratios for SC'd LS1 setups. We just pulled 719.5rwhp with 17 lbs of boost FYI.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:15 AM

Great!!!!! that is awesome man!!!

maybe the difference lies in that they are all 7L with boost and thus making that power and since you are still 5.7 that is 1.3L/psi boost you give away.. so yes.. you are right!!! that is wicked and awesome!! I just hope you dont get the wrong idea with my post...

Quick Reply: 348ci LS1 + YS Trim = 705rwhp!!!!!