Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Y pipe or true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Y pipe or true duals?

I'm sure I'll catch hell from the search *****, but if you can take the time to click on this and flame me, then you can take the time to say yay or nay...
My question is, are true duals worth the extra trouble and weight? I just wanna know how much more power they free up compared to the traditional Y pipe setup. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 AM

Comming from a guy with TD I'll put it to you this way....

There are high horsepower cars running TD, and there are high HP cars running a Y setup. Exhaust like most things in life, is about preference. I love the sound of a true dual. I don't think a car can be considered a "muscle" car with out TD.

As far as weight goes if you go with TD before the axle, I can't see it being more then a Y setup if not less. If you like the look of pipes out the back, then I would recomend a Y setup. The extra time and money to go over the axle with TD probably is not worth the hassle if you are torn b/w the two.

Get some sound clips look at some pricing and make a desicion based on your likes and dislikes. Spend the time now figuring out what you like so you don't regret it later.

~Jim~
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
I don't think a car can be considered a "muscle" car with out TD.
I think you need to hear my t/a before you make a judgement like that.
Torquer v3, lts, ory, dynomouth.

But yeah, everything else he said sounds pretty good. Its all about preference. How much do you have to spend? What do you use the car for? Do you want tips out the back?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 AM

There will be some power to be gained by swithing over to duals. Personally, I think a true dual setup is about the best you can achieve in sound. When more funds become available, I may be switching over myself.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 AM

on a bolt on car...no cam or power adder... the Ypipe setup will flow well enough to make great power, and it will sound just fine if you get the right muffler.

for cars making 400rwhp and up...TDs will really start to shine. espeiially in the upper rpm band.

another thing to consider is what was already mentioned...visual appeal. if you like the rear tips...stick with a Ypipe setup. if you're making alot of power..step up to the 3.5" or 4" mufflex setups.

other wise go for the TDs