Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

True Duals? Or Y Pipe Into Existing SLP Loudmouth 1. 383 Pacesetter Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 AM

True Duals? Or Y Pipe Into Existing SLP Loudmouth 1. 383 Pacesetter Long Tubes

I am a little stuck here. Now sure how I should proceed. I always assumed that my SLP LoudMouth was not holding me back but now I see that a single 3" exhaust is only good to a hair over 300hp with zero loss. I am a good deal over that. I only recently put the Long Tubes on my car and I have not connected it to my loudmouth yet and I dont know if I want to or even should. I do not want anything louder then the LM and would prefer quieter but I don't want to snuff out performance. Would I be better off just doing a simple true dual setup with a crossover pipe and two mufflers then dump in front of the axle (maybe in the future running it over the axle if it sounds decent and does not rob to much hp). If I were just do a simple true dual should I use 3" or 2.5"? Any muffler recommendations. The quieter the better but again without killing to much hp. Or should I just use the loudmouth cat back I already have installed (would need to cut it right before the resonating chamber to connect a universal Y pipe). Any idea on hp loss?.. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 AM

Re: True Duals? Or Y Pipe Into Existing SLP Loudmouth 1. 383 Pacesetter Long Tubes

I was thinking about just getting 10 feet of 3" straight pipe, two cherry bombs, and some hangers for now.. with no crossover, no bending. just clamping and hanging to the bottom of the car. That should quiet it down a good bit for now. That would be temporary but its a $80 investment.. maybe its better to skip that and put it towards a good setup. ahh so many options.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Re: True Duals? Or Y Pipe Into Existing SLP Loudmouth 1. 383 Pacesetter Long Tubes

I'm in the same boat I just brought a 97 SS with a completely rusted out exhaust. I just got my ebay 1 3/4" stainless steel headers and I have a full 3" true dual setup from another 4th gen fbody that I never used, now I just need to get some stainless j bends and u bends so I can make the over the axle pipes and since it's all stainless it will never rust.